Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: crossflow v pinto
fester

posted on 1/12/03 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
crossflow v pinto

Hi all;
can anybody tell me the weight difference between the crossflow and pinto engines? I am about to start ordering steel for a book build chassis and am a bit concerned with the increasing rarity of the crossflow.
Does anybody know if the crossflow motors fitted to the Ka are easily converted to RWD?

Mark Allanson

posted on 1/12/03 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
My chassis is all built, my pinto is in, and if I was at the stage you are now I would look into the 4" wider chassis plans that are available. The pinto will fit but boy it takes some horning in with the ancilliaries.

The advantage of the crossflow is its height, its the Ronnie Corbet of engines and nearly as old. It is MUCH lighter that a pinto, but wont run on unleaded.

Another advantage of the wider chasis is the choice of seats

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

fester

posted on 1/12/03 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
crossflow v pinto

Thanks for the advice Mark,but I still have a question or two:
Does the 4" wider chassis require a widened nose cone? If it didn't,wouldn't it ruin the lines?
Would'nt it be a good idea to increase the wheelbase a bit,or is this necessary anyway if I was to use all sierra/granada running gear?
I really wanted to stick farely closely to the book but I am beginning to see some very good options on this site!

Mark Allanson

posted on 1/12/03 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
There are 2 options on the wider chassis, one is std width at the nose and widens out and the other is just 4" wider right through and needs a wider nosecone.

Take a look at Jim McSorleys site, even his std book chassis drawings are much better than the book 'book' drawings which are flawed.

There are loads of rear axle combinations you can use, I have used a Capri, but do a search on the site and see what other members have done.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.