Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ever worried about being rear ended with fuel tank at back
pif

posted on 2/6/08 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
ever worried about being rear ended with fuel tank at back

let me tell you, i have the answer and it spoilt my day.

Saturday evening was coming home from work and pressing on a bit continually shaking off some kn0b in a golf who insisted on driving like a lunatic to try to keep up with me at cruising speed. Seen off a bike or 2 on the way too....

looking up at the clouds hoping it wouldn't rain before i get home whilst sat a set of lights waiting for the green filter to come on to turn right, with car in 1st and my foot reasonably hard on the footbrake when .......... BANG.. head flies back..... smack back of helmet ( fortunately wearing as hadn't been at start of trip ) on roll hoop..... stall car.... realise i am now at least half a car length over the white line that previously i was behind.... look in mirror... kn0b in golf has run straight into back of me.

start car... take the turn.... he pulls in ... i stop to say wait there while i go to turn round.. come back GONE!!

so if any one knows a red golf M131 RNE. let me know so i can get there before Greater Manchester Police find him...

any hows - reason for posting ( other than the long shot of someone knowing this car) was to answer the question i have seen asked on here before.. how do our cars stand up in a rear end shunt with the tank at the back.... not bad actually... mine got a real whack and only a split rear panel and broken no. plate light. plastic fuel tank and the straps seem to have taken most of the brunt and tank seems to be ok. will try to get it checked next week. cos i cant go any where in it as tax ran out on 31st and cannot get new one as renewal asks for an mot. back into the devils lair we go of the DVLA.. cars is one year old.. but that's another story for another day...........

[img]http://[/img]

been a bit of a rush job really, bodged it all together in just 5 1/2 years.

eccsmk

posted on 2/6/08 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
at least your ok!
shame about the rear panel and the light lets hope the police do their job properly mate

andyd

posted on 2/6/08 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to hear about your bad luck. Just checked and he is at least taxed until the end of August... pity really as that'd give the police something else to whack him with as well as leaving the scene of an accident without exchanging names & addresses.

Some people need to grow a brain I'm afraid.

How long were you sitting still for? Did the prick ram you on purpose cos you've got a smart car and he's got a pile o shite?

Andy

gingerprince

posted on 2/6/08 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
I got rear-ended the first week I bought mine. In my case at least the guy was a decent human being and didn't do a runner - ended up sorting with cash.

In my case I needed a new rear panel and fog light - ally tank was dented but didn't pierce.

TBH I think the fear of having a petrol tank behind you is exacerbated by Holywood - petrol generally doesn't explode on impact like the films would have you believe!

UncleFista

posted on 2/6/08 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
Hope you have more luck than me, my "nob in a Golf" really twatted my car[1], we exchanged details and it eventually turned out that the car was insured under a bogus company name.

eg, not insured, but shows on the Plod database as covered

[1] Wheel, tyre, rear wing, a pair of front wishbones, half-shaft etc. etc.

[Edited on 2/6/08 by UncleFista]

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

joneh

posted on 2/6/08 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
Just checked and it's insured. All you need is a witness...

nitram38

posted on 2/6/08 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
My brother got T-boned by a drunk who did a runner.
Car not insured etc.
Luckily, another driver found the bloke asleep in the car in the middle of the road.
3 times over the limit.
If he hadn't been found, then he would have got away with it.
I have a permenant video recorder running on my tintop (sd type).
I got a bus driver to re-take his psv after deliberately running me off into on coming traffic. The bus company used my evidence and the bus's own cameras to catch him.
I also carry a small sd camcorder.

MikeR

posted on 2/6/08 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
for me the moral is, irrespective of where it happens, get out and get some details first.

I always try to take a photo to prove who was driving and the scene of the accident (makes it difficult to lie later on then).

(*) i should point out by always i mean on the one occasion i've been hit from behind.

graememk

posted on 2/6/08 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
why didnt you give chase ?

pif

posted on 2/6/08 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
why didnt you give chase ?

now with the magic of hindsight, he pulled a crafty. hard to xplain on here but he basicley stopped on a junction which left me blocking the road, so not being able to reverse i went to next road to swing round and intended to go back to where he was and park properly. i watched in my mirrors to make sure he didnt come out and he didnt. he must have reversed further up the street he was on and turned and drove away down it which then leads to twists and turns and was gon in an estate. trust me i have looked and went back next night looking down all nearby roads and drives but no joy.

been a bit of a rush job really, bodged it all together in just 5 1/2 years.

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 3/6/08 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
Damage doesn't look at all bad. A 'proper' rear end shunt would have compromised the rear chassis, squashed the tank and engulphed you in a fireball. Sounds like an elastic collision, dissipating some of the energy.
I remember seeing a club level Caterham Challenge race a few years back where the weaknesses in the rear tank area were very much demonstrated, thankfully the marshalls were very good at fire control.
I've been dragged (kicking and screaming) into participating within the surveilance society. I HAD recently to install cameras/DVD/etc. to stop the endless criminal damage to the cars on my driveway (and house). The results have been immediate, total cessation. Sadly, I'm now even considering extending the bullet camera set-up in the race car to the ones I use on the road (like the other guy here). It's so sad, it really is.

nick205

posted on 3/6/08 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
If it's your regular rat run to work and back then the chances are it's the same for him too. Pass the details to friends family and colleagues and you may get lucky and see the car around somewhere.

I rear ended a Golf driver a few years back after he had a head on with a dozy mare driving the wrong way round Winchester's one way system Low speed incident with minimal damage and no one hurt, but the stupid lass and her mate tried to drive off without stopping and swapping details. The Golf driver was very on the ball and jumped back in his car swung round and boxed them in against a wall "extracted" their details and then let them go.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.