Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Willwood Billet Calipers
PHULL

posted on 3/12/03 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
Willwood Billet Calipers

Hey there

I was wondering if you guys know if the Billet II Caliper range from willwood fit the Cortina upright?

also what is done for the rear?
what do you guys use to convert to disc rear ends

ned

posted on 3/12/03 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
Rally design (raldes.co.uk) sell a kit to put wilwoods on the front cortina uprights. generally people only bother with uprating the front as it does roughly %80-90 of braking and the back will be ok with drums, though there are ways of modifying the live axle to accept drums, I'm sure someone will be along shortly with a link. the alternative is IRS and use the sierra back end with discs or autrallian equivalent.

Ned.

[Edited on 3/12/03 by ned]

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
kingr

posted on 3/12/03 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
Ned,

I don't think you'll find the proportion is that high - that sort of figure is what you'd expect in a FWD car. In a locost, especially in a tail heavy BEC, the figure is likely to be closer to 65-75%.

Kingr

Bob C

posted on 3/12/03 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
Thing with the wilwood calipers, they're light - I'm going for the 2 pot dynalites - the calipers are just 1.4lbs weight each, compare that with your cast iron monsters. I'm also going to go for non- vented discs and alloy bells to save more weight, sounds flash but it's not too bad money for all new kit (calipers about £50 each). In my opinion you only need big vented discs and 4pot calipers on a heavy car... we'll see how it goes!
wrt braking split front/rear going for up to 70% front should be adequately safe - Istarted a thread a while back about height of centre of gravity so I could work this lot out on XL, I concluded 16" up from considering the major metal bits of the car (of which I was the biggest single contributor at 105kg...). If you overdo the front bias it seriously reduces your braking efficiency on ice/snow when you need it most.........
Cheers
Bob C
PS I'm not using cortina uprights so I can't help you much

Fast Westie

posted on 3/12/03 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
Bob C
You may get away with the 2 pots, you will be safe with the 4 pots as I race on these.

PHULL
You need an adaptor for the Dynalites for the Cortina hub. See Here

The car in front is a Westfield

PHULL

posted on 4/12/03 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
ddd

Impressive mount

this isn't for a road car...

I was thinking of a datsun 1600 rear end?
but I just am too lazy...more poo to break
ect

thanks for the info guys

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.