Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: more paypal banging head against wall
balidey

posted on 6/6/08 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
more paypal banging head against wall

Thought I'd add this here, as everyone else seems to have paypal problems.

My father is new to e-bay, he wants to sell something, but he can't as he's not registered with paypal. He doesn't want to be as the things he is selling are big, heavy and therefore are cash on collection only.

Ebay say:
quote:

We're making transactions safer for eBay members by updating our Accepted Payments Policy. The Policy requires all sellers to offer PayPal as a payment method in their listings

And there's no way to not allow paypal payment.

I suppose he could just write in the advert 'cash only' but he can't actually get that far in the listing process without entering a paypal email.

Any ideas how we can get the things listed? I don't want to put in my paypal account, and he doesn't want to set one up.

Can we enter his normal e-mail address as the paypal address, even though there is not paypal account assigned to it?

Mr Whippy

posted on 6/6/08 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
this is one of the reasons I no longer use e-bay

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bilbo

posted on 6/6/08 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
What I always say with collection only items is 'Paypal in advance or cash on collection', then I choose payment options of paypal and 'other - please see item description'

Most people wont be willing to pay up front in full before they collect, so I always get the cash

---------------------------------------

Build Diary: http://bills-locost.blogspot.com/
Web Site: http://locost.atspace.com

smart51

posted on 6/6/08 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
Can you make eBay charge a paypal surcharge? A bit like adding in postage?

That way, if someone decides they don't want to pay in cash, you wap an extra fee in to persuade them. Say that is covers the paypal fees, both to accept the payment and to transfer the cash out.

To be fair, I hate ebay auctions that don't have paypal as sending cheques and waiting for them to clear is a pain. I want my stuff now.

ned

posted on 6/6/08 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
I posted recently about this. I listed using my paypal account but said clearly in the listing i wouldn't accept it and ebay made me and i'd refund anyone that tried and cash on collection only. seemed to work and the listing didn't get pulled but wouldn't suprise me if they start pulling listings with those sorts of wordings soon if not already...

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
balidey

posted on 6/6/08 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
All valid points, but you are missing something.

My dad does not have a paypal account, and doesn't want one, and he can not LIST the item on e-bay unless you enter one. Thats what we are trying to get round, we're not trying to avoid fees.

You can start to advertise, but as soon as you get to the 2nd screen it says 'enter paypal address or F*** off' Well it may as well say that

ie is there ANY WAY you can advertise on ebay if you don't have paypal?

[Edited on 6/6/08 by balidey]

ned

posted on 6/6/08 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
no.

beware, I've got yellow skin

Hellfire

posted on 6/6/08 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
Use an alternative - there are plenty springing up

EBID

is the leader of the also rans at the moment...

Steve

r1_pete

posted on 6/6/08 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
As above there's no way to not accept paypal on your listing.

IMO paypal isn't too bad, but for large collection items I always state "cash on collection only, if you don't agree, dont bid"

Never had a listing pulled - yet

02GF74

posted on 6/6/08 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
you could try to enter e-mail address but I owuld expect the registration process would check if the address has a paypal account.

linking paypal account to a credit card is best - if something goes wrong and money is siphoned out, it is money that was not there in the first place so the card company would have to take measures to get money back.

now it would be different situation with a bank account as it would be harder to get money back from a bank.

well, that is my logic, may be total bo&&ocks ofcourse but keeps me happy

Ricks-9r

posted on 6/6/08 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
you need to register a credit card/bank details with Pay-pal in order to pay the selling fees otherwise no joy ,try yellow free ads paper instead you don't get the coverage but at least there local
will121

posted on 6/6/08 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
dont thimk there is now a way round not having paypal account, but how about setting one up and in the discription say 10% deposit to be payed via paypal with balance cash on collection?
balidey

posted on 6/6/08 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
well, looks like the only option then is for my dad to use my paypal address to set up the advert.

I used to enjoy using e-bay when i first registered in 2001, but now it seems like such hard work to buy, sell and even search for what you want. and as they have grown its got too 'corporate' and way too greedy.

I can see their competitors taking a bite out of them soon.

Aico

posted on 6/6/08 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
You can just make an account and not use it. You can always say the buyer needs to collect and this is a fact in your case. You only pay by PayPal when you have something shipped. You can also say add 4% for PayPalfees, which I do. SImply because PayPal ask those fees.
Peteff

posted on 6/6/08 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
If you are a new seller you have to offer Paypal as an option. I sold a trailer tent on a buy it now recently and put in the listing that it was cash on collection but with a £20 deposit through paypal. It was quite easy but you have to have the paypal account or you can't sell.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

fatfranky

posted on 6/6/08 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
I've just listed something on ebay and put in the wrong paypal e mail address (it was cash on collection anyway) and the ebay system accepted it

I thought it would have rejected the listing

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.