Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: More charging light woes !!
simonk

posted on 6/6/08 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
More charging light woes !!

Evening all

I'm trying to get the alternator warninglight to work on my Viento, with a 'Bright 6' LED pack. All seems wired OK and all other warning lights in the pack work fine. With ignition on the charge light glows dimly, and with engine running it stays the same. On testing I am getting 12V from the Bright 6 to the 'tell tale' terminal on the alternator when not running with ignition on as expected. The alternator has the power connection, the tell tale connection and a connection which requires a switched 12V supply. All are connected correctly.

If I test the resistance from the tell tale to earth (alternator body or chassis earth) I get 2.6kohms. The alternator body has a good earth.

Any ideas before I start tearing out my hair ??

Many thanks
Simon

02GF74

posted on 6/6/08 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
is this your problem too?

ok, some questions.

1. what do you need to do to light the LED in your unit? i.e. what voltages do you need to supply?

2. what alternator are you using?

3. the telltale from the alternator - what is voltage when engine is not runing? same when running. (disconnect display unit)

4. is the alternator charging? (measure voltage across battery when engine is running at 2,000 rpm - should be close to 14 V.

then we can try to diagnosse.

simonk

posted on 6/6/08 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, I will start it tomorrow and have a poke about and will get back to you with the answers !!

Thanks again
Simon

tks

posted on 7/6/08 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by simonk
Evening all

I'm trying to get the alternator warninglight to work on my Viento, with a 'Bright 6' LED pack. All seems wired OK and all other warning lights in the pack work fine. With ignition on the charge light glows dimly, and with engine running it stays the same. On testing I am getting 12V from the Bright 6 to the 'tell tale' terminal on the alternator when not running with ignition on as expected. The alternator has the power connection, the tell tale connection and a connection which requires a switched 12V supply. All are connected correctly.

If I test the resistance from the tell tale to earth (alternator body or chassis earth) I get 2.6kohms. The alternator body has a good earth.

Any ideas before I start tearing out my hair ??

Many thanks
Simon

looks like you supply the bright 6 light from 2 sides a normal one and from the alternator supply (tell tale pole)

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

simonk

posted on 7/6/08 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
Hi again all, thanks for your help. I followed through the links on the other thread to the Westy link for the Nippon alternators. I have the 'three connector' (inc battery) type. I was sold this alternator badged as an 'Edge' racing alternator - I'm not prepared to reveal how much it cost.............

Anyway, the tell tale and live connections given in the Westy link were reversed from the instructions given with the alternator, so I just reversed them and guess what ?? All works exactly as it should. So, thanks all - good progress this morning - I can tidy up and finalise the dash wiring now I know that it all finally does what it is supposed to do.

Thanks again all
Simon

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.