Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Useful to know - Halford's alternator belts
vinny1275

posted on 9/6/08 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
Useful to know - Halford's alternator belts

Hi guys,

A useful snippet for you - had to get an alternator belt as we've gone to the nippon denso type alternator for the pinto. we had two, one a normal pinto belt and the other one that we thought would be about right, but was too short.

So, we asked if they had something in between, and lo and behold: The halfords part numbers are the length in millimeters, with the letter after being the width or pattern on the belt, so 800b would be 800 mm, with a v-toothed belt that's wider than the 800a....

Not very interesting, but saved opening all the packets in the shop to figure out teh one I wanted!!

Must also mention the helpful guy on the parts desk, who realised that we were after something non-standard, explained how the part numbers worked, and helped figure out which one we needed. It's not often that I come across one of the people there who know what I'm talking about....

Cheers

Vince

Macbeast

posted on 9/6/08 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
That's really helpful - thanks
tegwin

posted on 9/6/08 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
That is the standard way of labeling a V belt...

There are similar naming formats for HTD, H and V belts etc...

but deffinately handy to know that they use common sence

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

tks

posted on 9/6/08 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vinny1275
Hi guys,

A useful snippet for you - had to get an alternator belt as we've gone to the nippon denso type alternator for the pinto. we had two, one a normal pinto belt and the other one that we thought would be about right, but was too short.

So, we asked if they had something in between, and lo and behold: The halfords part numbers are the length in millimeters, with the letter after being the width or pattern on the belt, so 800b would be 800 mm, with a v-toothed belt that's wider than the 800a....

Not very interesting, but saved opening all the packets in the shop to figure out teh one I wanted!!

Must also mention the helpful guy on the parts desk, who realised that we were after something non-standard, explained how the part numbers worked, and helped figure out which one we needed. It's not often that I come across one of the people there who know what I'm talking about....

Cheers

Vince

yupsz i agree for 100% with you...such help/people are priceless...

saddly they aren't neccary for the other 99% of the shoppers...

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

RoadkillUK

posted on 9/6/08 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
I had the same deal down at my local halfords (Bradford). I had just made another alternator bracket and needed a longer belt, so I took the sleeve that the old belt came in and told him I needed a longer one. He said No Problem and explained that the numbers are length etc.

Nice chap.

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DarrenW

posted on 11/6/08 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
The other good news about using Halfords is that you can buy 2 or 3 belts. Take home and find out which fits best and as long as they are clean and packaged back up take the NG belts back for refund.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.