Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: fly by wire throttle
DIY Si

posted on 10/6/08 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
fly by wire throttle

I think this is in the right place, rather than the EFI bit. My donor Alfa runs an ecu controlled/fly by wire throttle. This shouldn't be a problem as I have just spent all evening getting the pedal pot out. However, can anyone foresee it causing problems in a kit car? I planning on upgrading to ITBs in the future, so it won't be there forever, as I'll use a normal cable then. But it will be like running fly by wire for the SVA and first few months on the road. Has any one got any advice or thoughts about this? I'd rather not upgrade just yet, as I'm trying to spread the costs out a bit!
britishtrident

posted on 10/6/08 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
Don't ya just love a guy willing to step into the unknown. :-)

[Edited on 10/6/08 by britishtrident]

DIY Si

posted on 10/6/08 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
No one ever said you had to know what you where doing to build a whole car from unknown parts! Besides even I grew up with A series engine and SU carbs. EFI is still a learning curve for me!
tegwin

posted on 10/6/08 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
IMHO....I would be tempted to fit a cable and be done...

Fly by wire is a real pain expecially if your throttle body falls out of callibation with the peddle...

Most FBW cars have a built in lag in the throttle so you cant snap the throttle open.....not ideal in a kit car

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

DIY Si

posted on 10/6/08 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
But how would I do that though? Would the ecu know what the throttle's doing without it?
britishtrident

posted on 11/6/08 at 07:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DIY Si
No one ever said you had to know what you where doing to build a whole car from unknown parts! Besides even I grew up with A series engine and SU carbs. EFI is still a learning curve for me!

Hell A series engines are still a mystery to me.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

britishtrident

posted on 11/6/08 at 07:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
IMHO....I would be tempted to fit a cable and be done...

Fly by wire is a real pain expecially if your throttle body falls out of callibation with the peddle...

Most FBW cars have a built in lag in the throttle so you cant snap the throttle open.....not ideal in a kit car

Throttle pedals getting out of synch brings back memories of the "Dunlop Pneumatic Throttle" in the very first Hillman Imps ---

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

MikeRJ

posted on 11/6/08 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DIY Si
But how would I do that though? Would the ecu know what the throttle's doing without it?

No, you'd probably have to ditch the entire ECU system and start from scratch.

There is no reason this system wouldn't work on your car as long as you are careful with the wiring. I presume you are going to use the entire donor engine loom, so this shouldn't be a problem.

AlphaX

posted on 11/6/08 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
shouldnt be a problem. Some people do it with the aud engine/ecu as well. Figure out what position is the 0% and what is the 100% and make it to that, ie mount it a bit higher or lower on your pedal. You should be able to get a read out what is 100% from the resistance its giving back to the ecu or the voltage. 100% can be either 5V or 12V.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.