Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wideband Lambda Sensor
82 Locost

posted on 11/6/08 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
Wideband Lambda Sensor

Quick question.

If I wire a wideband lambda sensor up can I just read the output voltage or do I need some kind of hardware to convert the output to a voltage? I'm assuming the sensor just measures AFR, and that measurement translates into a voltage which can be measured with a voltmeter.

Presumably, there's also a voltage output which translates to the 'ideal' AFR?

Agriv8

posted on 11/6/08 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
I know on my vems system there is a calibration setup to go through when ever you introduce a new Wideband sensor.

HTH

Regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

BenB

posted on 11/6/08 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
Normally the wideband controller corrects for temperature etc and then either outputs a given voltage or serial connection etc etc.

If you tried to measure the resistance of a wideband sensor you won't get much usable information.

But you can just attach a wideband controller and measure the volts coming out of it to get the wideband lamba reading (typically 14.1 ratio gives 1.41volts etc etc). It's only if you want a flash dial or to view the result on a laptop (for datalogging purposes etc) that you need the dials etc.

pajsh

posted on 11/6/08 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
Why not ask Omega0684.

Clicky Here

I used to be apathetic but now I just don't care.

82 Locost

posted on 11/6/08 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
BenB and Robocog seem to be in slight disagreement.

I'm hoping to link to output to a data logger to record how lambda changes with revs under different loads to get a set of graphs.

If Ben's right then I'm happy. If Robocog's right then my plan is b@ggered.

rachaeljf

posted on 11/6/08 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
No they're not. You have to have a controller to manage the Nernst cell in the wideband sensor. The controller then outputs a helpful linear voltage that represents the a/f ratio. You will get nothing useful out of a wideband sensor without its controller I'm afraid.
stevebubs

posted on 11/6/08 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rachaeljf
No they're not. You have to have a controller to manage the Nernst cell in the wideband sensor. The controller then outputs a helpful linear voltage that represents the a/f ratio. You will get nothing useful out of a wideband sensor without its controller I'm afraid.

Ditto

MikeRJ

posted on 11/6/08 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 82 Locost
BenB and Robocog seem to be in slight disagreement.

I'm hoping to link to output to a data logger to record how lambda changes with revs under different loads to get a set of graphs.

If Ben's right then I'm happy. If Robocog's right then my plan is b@ggered.

That depends! When you say "wideband lambda sensor", do you simply mean the sensor itself, or a complete setup with a wideband controller such as the JAW or Innovate LC-1?

If the former, then no since a wideband lambda does not produce a voltage output like the narrow band ones.

If the latter then yes, since the controllers can generally be configured to output the voltage and slope you require. 0.1v = 0.1 lambda is a very common output.

82 Locost

posted on 11/6/08 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys. I guess the answer is that I can't use a data logger to plot graphs of lambda vs rpm unless I spend money on a controller.

Thanks for the help.

adithorp

posted on 14/6/08 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
Have you seen this thread?

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=89241

adrian

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.