Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: 4AGE engine mounts
MK Charlie

posted on 11/6/08 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
4AGE engine mounts

I've now taken the engine and box out of my car to have the gearbox rebuilt. I knew the engine mount was broken, but was surprised to see what i did. The rubber mount on the chassis has completely ripped into 2 pieces, and my local motor factor have banned me from saying "do you have 1 of them?" haha
Is it a common mount that all CEC MK's use, or do i need to show you guys some pics?

Charlie

andylancaster3000

posted on 12/6/08 at 12:11 AM Reply With Quote
How was the rubber mount positioned? I've noticed that on a number of cars that the rubber is mounted vertically so that when the car is static the weight of the engine is taken vertically through it. However IMO, what should really be done is to mount them at an angle ~40degrees from vertical so that during hard cornering the load from the lump of an engine tends to put the rubber in compression rather than mainly shear as it would if mounted vertically. Obviously this is a compromise between the lateral and vertical loads as well as resisting the torque of the engine. Most road cars these days tend to have seperate ones for each purpose, but note how they are mounted in old front engine/rwd fords.

Hope this makes sense.

Andy

[Edited on 12/6/08 by andylancaster3000]

oldtimer

posted on 12/6/08 at 07:03 AM Reply With Quote
Raw Engineering do some nice stainless angled 4AGE engine mounts.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.