Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Front footwells / bulkhead
Blue Fox

posted on 16/6/08 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
Front footwells / bulkhead

I have fitted my front footwells/bulkhead. I have only stitch welded this and there is a small gap all the way round of approx 1-2mm (except where the weld is) as I fitted it inside the box section. Does this need to be fully welded to make a fire proof seal or can I put some silicon or something round it just to keep it water tight later?
Mr Whippy

posted on 16/6/08 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
no, you can use just silicon

if you look at many 7's they are totally open above the pedal box area, but you raise a valid point. My main concern would be petrol leaking into the footwell area rather than flames burning you through a 2mm gap.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scoop

posted on 16/6/08 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
So you can have it open above the pedal box for all the tests can you?
I was wondering about that and whether or not i would have to box it in.

Mr Whippy

posted on 16/6/08 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
Strangely I don't think it’s an issue but I wait to be corrected. Fire rating for cars is very low anyway, ever burned a grp bonnet? I have surprised Greenpeace didn't appear with in their rubber dingy and an extinguisher

personally I'd rather have the bonnet and footwells lined in ceramic blanket but then folk would moan about the weight...

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
wilkingj

posted on 17/6/08 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
I would think of grey Stripe Seam Sealer. Much better than Silicone. Doesnt give off acetic acid when curing (as with bathroom type sealants).
I would still seal it up. Even a burst rad pipe and boiling water on your feet isnt much fun, letalone buring petrol.

Seal up the area even if its just for safety reasons.

You Know it makes sense.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.