Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: PC World lack of stock
Mr Whippy

posted on 19/6/08 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
PC World lack of stock

Rather hacked off last night, I decided I’d go to PC World to get a new computer as they have PC’s…or maybe

After spending ages picking a machine, I get told they have none of that model in stock (typical) so I said how long for delivery? ‘Well sir that is an end of line model, we cannot actually order one’ ????? what the hell is it on display then!? He then offers me another for the same price but with a tiny hard drive, won’t sell me even the display one (which I suspect also had the tiny hard drive), then I asked if he had any other machines with comparable spec’s so then we go round all these machines which none are in stock and the only thing he could offer was one £240 more than the £450 I wanted to spend. In the end I told him I had more machines to sell than them and left.

Pathetic

[Edited on 19/6/08 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andyharding

posted on 19/6/08 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
Thank god that happened to you so you have time to see the light and get a Mac

Are you a Mac user or a retard?

wilkingj

posted on 19/6/08 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
Ah... PC World... Box Shifters, with no boxes!

There are a lot of cheaper places then PC World.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Humbug

posted on 19/6/08 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andyharding

... except that you would have to spend the extra £240 to get an equivalent spec machine

Mr Whippy

posted on 19/6/08 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andyharding

? hadn't even crossed my mind, I thought they were quite expensive, I'll have a look...ta

Dangle_kt

posted on 19/6/08 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
if your spending that sort of cash, drop Dell a call - sometimes they have some cracking offers on - admittedly sometimes they dont!!

And I have had dells in the past and was very impressed by build/stability.

Also try evesham, they make good systems and are well regarded.

Neither of these companies have the daft prices and availability issues that PC world have.

Mr Whippy

posted on 19/6/08 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
I tried Dell in the past, going for a budget machine that rapidly shot up in price when all the 'basic' extras were added. Shame as I used them at work for years and thought their machines were first rate.

I tried to order one online but all the places I tried would only deliver to my cards registered address, ie my old house where I do not live

tegwin

posted on 19/6/08 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
DO NOT USE PC WORLD!!!!!!!!

Go to Ebuyer.co.uk they always have delivered to any address I wanted in the past....

Im sure you will get something better spec and cheaper from there!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

bilbo

posted on 19/6/08 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
The best thing about PCs is you can build them yourself
That way, it's exactly to your spec.

Edited to say, totally agree with above. Don't use Pissy World for anything.

[Edited on 19/6/08 by bilbo]

---------------------------------------

Build Diary: http://bills-locost.blogspot.com/
Web Site: http://locost.atspace.com

Mr Whippy

posted on 19/6/08 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
DO NOT USE PC WORLD!!!!!!!!

Go to Ebuyer.co.uk they always have delivered to any address I wanted in the past....

Im sure you will get something better spec and cheaper from there!

just had a look, thanks

Benzine

posted on 19/6/08 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
I guess you could get a chic, stylish lifestyle machine over at www.apple.com

or to avoid buying an overpriced BIOSless piece of "designer" poo with no decent gaming or upgrade options, you could just buy a pc on the net

Mr G

posted on 19/6/08 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote

Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a
car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes
and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.

UncleFista

posted on 19/6/08 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
I've always built my own PC's, but this one I have now is a Dell, about £500 for a top notch PC. I'll never build one again, this cost a third less than it would've cost for me to buy the parts.

Check out the UKhotdeals site, they have some cracking PC deals....

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

britishtrident

posted on 19/6/08 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
The shelf length life of any particular PC model is so short that "End of line" is a big problem for manufacturers and PC World.

While often excellent E Buyer can be iffy to deal with some times they take weeks to deliver or send a "substitute" item.

Personally I never pay more than £250 for a PC box by sticking to buying end of line models from Morgan.

graememk

posted on 19/6/08 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
herrrm now who would i use ?

Jasper

posted on 19/6/08 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
I would also say Dell every time. Paid £450 ish for an office machine, comes with a 3 yr on site warranty too, super quiet and small case and been 100% reliable and stable so far. I would never buy from anybody else. And ring them up and order on the phone, 'cos you often get a better deal than the web price, and you can haggle with them and get more stuff thrown in.

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

andyharding

posted on 19/6/08 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benzine

or to avoid buying an overpriced BIOSless piece of "designer" poo with no decent gaming or upgrade options, you could just buy a pc on the net

Why not just get a t-shirt that says "I am ignorant" on the front?

Not only does a MAC have a BIOS just like a PC (not sure where you got this pearl of wisdom from) but they also use the same processors, RAM, hard disks and graphics cards so are equally upgradeable.

As for no decent gaming options, if the following isn't enough choice for you then I think you are in serious need of getting a life:

http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/shop_mac/software/action_games?mco=MTE4OTk

andyharding

posted on 19/6/08 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
For a general purpose MAC i.e. web, email, home office tasks I'd look at an iMAC:-

http://www.apple.com/uk/imac/

(I have the 24" iMAC and an iBook laptop for work and will never but a PC again)

Edited to add: you can install Windows as an application inside MAC for the odd application that you can't run on MAC and it works better than when installed in a PC

[Edited on 19/6/08 by andyharding]

iscmatt
Contributor

Posts 1929
Registered 30/3/06
Location York

Photo Archive Go!
Building: - BUILT - 2.0 pinto indy, Kent Cam, zzr1100 carbs

posted on 19/6/08 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
i've got a little macbook - have to say when it comes to upgrading my home PC i will be going iMAC, without a doubt
donut

posted on 19/6/08 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
Or if you have a screen, mouse and keyboard you could get a MAC MINI.

I find with MAC software that it comes pre installed with good software. You can get most programmes for mac the same as PC but where there will be 20 different programmes to do a job on PC there will only be 1 or 2 for the mac so saves on decision making.

I have had a few Macs but always return to PC as it's what i know.

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

mcerd1

posted on 19/6/08 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
I vote for DIY - its not difficult and as above you get to pick the spec of every part

personally I always buy a top spec MB then build the machine up using leftovers and a few cheaper bits to start with, then upgrade a little over time (as the higher spce bits get cheaper)

recently a mates cheap PC died completly (HDD, MB, RAM + CPU) - it was an old athlon XP 2600+ made from the cheapest, nastiest rubbish - so we kept the case, PSU and DVD / floppy etc
then got a good new HDD and second hand MB, RAM, CPU, Graphics card (all good quality bits - sold on ebay after an upgrade)

in the end the upgrade was only from a 2600+ to a 2800+, same size disc (80Gb) and 4x the RAM (1Gb) and a GF6600 card - but it actually runs quite quick and does all he needs it to for a total of £120 + a dead PC

bilbo

posted on 19/6/08 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
I vote for DIY - its not difficult and as above you get to pick the spec of every part

personally I always buy a top spec MB then build the machine up using leftovers and a few cheaper bits to start with, then upgrade a little over time (as the higher spce bits get cheaper)

recently a mates cheap PC died completly (HDD, MB, RAM + CPU) - it was an old athlon XP 2600+ made from the cheapest, nastiest rubbish - so we kept the case, PSU and DVD / floppy etc
then got a good new HDD and second hand MB, RAM, CPU, Graphics card (all good quality bits - sold on ebay after an upgrade)

in the end the upgrade was only from a 2600+ to a 2800+, same size disc (80Gb) and 4x the RAM (1Gb) and a GF6600 card - but it actually runs quite quick and does all he needs it to for a total of £120 + a dead PC

You know it makes sense. This is the true locoster spirit

---------------------------------------

Build Diary: http://bills-locost.blogspot.com/
Web Site: http://locost.atspace.com

Gav

posted on 19/6/08 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
I've just build my own PC,
MSI quality Motherboard
Quad Core Q6600 processor @ 3.4 ghz
2 GB PC10000 OCZ ram
2x WD Raptor SATA Disks in Raid 0
Geforce 9800

Its a hell of a machine, great for gaming

DavidW

posted on 19/6/08 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
I used to build my own then bought a Dell. Good machine very good offers.

I eventually bought a Mac and will never buy another PC. If there is a small price premium it's easily worth it.

Davd

flak monkey

posted on 19/6/08 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benzine

That had me ROFLMFAO

I always build my own PC's, you cant beat them for value for money and the performance you get from it. Otherwise if you are a PC numpty buy a Dell, their aftersales is quite good.

Avoid PC world like the plague, i did find out they will price match dabs on components though, which is quite handy! Got 60% off their shelf price on some RAM, should have seen the look on the guys face!

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.