Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Gear Number Indicator
paulmw

posted on 19/6/08 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
Gear Number Indicator

As I cant count I reckon I would benefit from a gear number indicator display

What have people used. I pressume it is a simple plug and play?

Paul

nitram38

posted on 19/6/08 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
For Bec's, yes

eddbaz

posted on 19/6/08 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
The gipro is one of the best on the market
Jubal

posted on 19/6/08 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
I drove a BEC with a display on it earlier this week. It was useful and as a result I've been investigating and pricing them up. The Acumen DG8 seems to be the easiest for my engine but I think you are a bit too cutting edge for a plug and go loom. They go for about 75 all in on ebay but the best info is on the manufacturer's website.

http://www.acumen-electronics.co.uk/

You could always wire the generic one in as per these instructions.

http://www.acumen-electronics.co.uk/pub/files/User%20Guides%20etc%20-%20PDF_s/1197905466_Acumen%20DG8%20.pdf

[Edited on 19/6/08 by Jubal]

russbost

posted on 19/6/08 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
The Acewell 3250 (amongst it's many other features) has a gear indicator that works with any engine. As I understand it the computer works out the revs/speed 7 therefore what gear.
Why pay loads of money for a gear indicator when you can have all the rest as well for pretty much the same money?

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Paul TigerB6

posted on 19/6/08 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
I'm planning on using the GIPro on my own car with the ZX10R clocks as Paul is using on his. Not sure if the ZX10R restricts the engine in the lower gears for which the TRE is used to disable but would be interested to find out.

li nky to ebay

tegwin

posted on 19/6/08 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
It cant be too hard to make one....

Get a 7 seg display, two microswitches (one for up and one for down) and some circuitry to do the thinking...

Only issue would be keeping the number callibrated with the actual gear when you turn the electronincs off and change gear, but wouldnt be hard to figure it out...

I recon you could make one for around £6....infact, Im making some PCBs this week...might have a go at designing and manufacturing a gear indicator...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

nitram38

posted on 19/6/08 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
Russ, although I have a Veypor dash with gear indicator, I also have the Accumen as it is a nice bright led display.
I think trying to look at an lcd readout will be a bit more difficult as per the acewell.

tks

posted on 19/6/08 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin

Get a 7 seg display, two microswitches (one for up and one for down) and some circuitry to do the thinking...

Only issue would be keeping the number callibrated with the actual gear when you turn the electronincs off and change gear, but wouldnt be hard to figure it out...

I recon you could make one for around £6....infact, Im making some PCBs this week...might have a go at designing and manufacturing a gear indicator...

yupsz... use an input from neutral to reset it...

Tks

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

nitram38

posted on 19/6/08 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tks
quote:

yupsz... use an input from neutral to reset it...

Tks

But don't you pass through neutral on the way to second?

loggyboy

posted on 19/6/08 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
Datatool do one that seems quite straight forward.

2 versions, one for manual speedo, one for electronic.

It simply works on speed and engine revs, comparing the 2 figures to calculate the gear your in.

Manual version uses wheel (or i assume they could be driveshaft/abs ring) mounted sensors to pick up the speed. where as the elec one picks up the signals being produced by the standard speedo sensor.

BenB

posted on 19/6/08 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

If you have a look at my website, that's exactly what I did. Cheap as chips. Microswitches, a feed of the neutral light and a £1 PIC....

BenB

posted on 19/6/08 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
http://website.lineone.net/~btbromilow/first.htm

is the link to the description. I designed it for my brothers Blackbird Fury. Works well once the microswitches are set up.

Personally I don't bother with one, if I'm not sure what gear it's in I just give it another tug and see what happens ie when I run out of gears I stop changing up

Mark G

posted on 19/6/08 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
I just ordered the Acumen DG8 off ebay, its waiting for me to go and collect it in the post office as we speak.

Delivered for less than £50 for a new one, I thought was a pretty good price.

iank

posted on 19/6/08 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
There was a project (pic based) in the Jan 06 copy of EPE for one based on the rpm vs speed style.

http://www.epemag.com/magindex.html

[Edited on 19/6/08 by iank]

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

PAUL FISHER

posted on 19/6/08 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
Ive got the gpro on my zx10r,plug and play,it also got the built in retard iliminator,which you can switch on and off at the push of a switch,it also has hard and soft settings,it can help when its wet,sort of a simple traction control.
bigrich

posted on 19/6/08 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
Another GI pro here, and yes the TRE works well giving a much quicker pick up in the lower gears.

A pint for the gent and a white wine/fruit based drink for the lady. Those are the rules

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.