Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Idiots Guide to Wiring Cars?
Slater

posted on 19/6/08 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
Idiots Guide to Wiring Cars?

Afternoon, I am about to start installing my Premier Wiring loom. I am a total beginner at car electrics. Can anyone recomend a book or website which explains the basic car wiring principles in laymans terms with simple diagrams.

I see terms like switched live or switched earth, what they mean? Also how do relays work?, where should the fuses go in the circuit? etc. I just need some basic knowledge to get me started.

Over to you.
Keith.

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

Mr Whippy

posted on 19/6/08 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
haynes do a car electics book that is quite good. This one infact -

http://www.bizrate.com/transportationbooks/haynes-automotive-electrical-manual--pid681094156/compareprices__keyword--michael+haynes.html

I have had it for years and is worth reading before you do the wiring. I is not too techinal and easy to read and follow. You should find it in Halfords, any probems you have just ask on this site.

[Edited on 19/6/08 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tks

posted on 19/6/08 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
a fuse will be as short to the battery placed...

its the only securance which keeps the car from burning down.

i mount 3 main fuses at 100mm from the battery plus terminal..

Switched....
because of the fact that you have a positive and a negative lead you can cut each of them to make the needed connection to a light or horn or etc...

a relais is easy to google and you will find everything from there..

Tks

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

Mr Whippy

posted on 19/6/08 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
If possible I think a battery cut off switch, even on a road going car is a great idea and worth fitting. They also look very cool.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Macbeast

posted on 19/6/08 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
The premier wiring loom should come with ready wired fuses. In addition, as tks says, you should have a "fusible link" - just a fuse - 40 to 80 amps between the battery and anything on your loom (but not the lead from the battery to the starter which will take more than 80 amps. Vehicle Wiring Products 0115 930 5454 do fusible links amongst many other electric things.

Complete Kit Car has been running a 3-part electrics feature (May June and July)
which deals with some of the basics.

mookaloid

posted on 19/6/08 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
The Premier Loom comes with instructions, which, if you follow them to the letter will result in a working loom. Alan at Premier is a great help if you get stuck too

Cheers

Mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.