Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bodybuilding
focijohn

posted on 19/6/08 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
Bodybuilding

Anyone on here do anything to do with this??? Hit a wall and dont seem to be progressing!!??
Tips
Hints
Diets

ATB

John

Anyone going slower than you is an idiot. Anyone going faster than you is a maniac.
Too many targets but too few bullets.

Daimo_45

posted on 19/6/08 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
Make sure you have plenty of rest days as this is when the muscle grows.

Make sure you target a specific muscle group each session not do all of them in two hours. For example Mon=back, Wed=shoulders, Thurs=legs, Fri=chest, Sat=arms.

Try and get REAL protein into your diet around 1.2g per kg of body weight maximum.

Have a rep structure. This will be determined is you are building for mass or tone. Low reps with high weights for mass and low weight high reps for tone.

I would do 1 set of 10 reps then increase the weight and 2 sets of 8 reps then inc the weight then 1 set of 6 reps then inc the weight then 1 set of 4 reps then finish that exercise.

joolsmi16

posted on 19/6/08 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
workout

Go onto http://www.myprotein.co.uk/ rear the articles of the bottom left whatever your goals are. The protein is very cheap and drinkable..
focijohn

posted on 19/6/08 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
well i go up 3x a week Tues Thurs and Sun. Tuesday i hit chest and back, Thursday arms and shoulders and everything on a sunday. I started on protein and creatine supps but realized that could buy me bits for my future 7. Ive upped the weights and kept the reps the same 15 to warm up on a lower weight, then 8 reps on "workout weight". That seems to be helping but dont really see any gains / progression.

Anyone going slower than you is an idiot. Anyone going faster than you is a maniac.

Stuart_B

posted on 19/6/08 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
monday i do my shoulders
tuesday i do my chest
wenesday i do my back
thrusday i do my legs
friday i do fittness/shoulders

and saturday and sunday i have off.

stuart

Avoneer

posted on 19/6/08 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
Have you just started of have you been doing it a while?

Are you trying to tone up or build/get bigger?

What are you like at the moment - fat effer or skinny pole?

Ta,

Pat..

P.S. Will respond when I know the above - not just trying to humilitate!

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Stuart_B

posted on 19/6/08 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
forgot to add that, i have just started really, i am not skiny by a long run.Lol

stuart

[Edited on 19/6/08 by Stuart_B]

black mk indy, 1.6pinto on cbr600 bike carb's.

focijohn

posted on 19/6/08 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
lol just remembered i havn't said that been going about a year and a half, in that year seemed to jump up weights now kinda leveled off. Goals are to build big, not fat not pole like 6'2 so reasonably tall,

JoelP

posted on 19/6/08 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
eat big lift big

15x reps sounds a bit much though im no expert. If you can do 15 then its too light.

austin man

posted on 19/6/08 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
I started on the new machine in the gym tried everything twice for an hour or more felt as sick as a dog not sure whether it was the crisps or chocolate bars that did me
cryoman1965

posted on 19/6/08 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
I started drinking strongbow a year ago and have put on 2 stone

Now that is bodybuilding

Nige

JoelP

posted on 19/6/08 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by austin man
I started on the new machine in the gym tried everything twice for an hour or more felt as sick as a dog not sure whether it was the crisps or chocolate bars that did me

thats the funniest thing ive read so far this year

eznfrank

posted on 19/6/08 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
Difficult without knowing lots about you, history etc etc.

1. 1 body part per day, maybe 2 unconnected parts at a push. Seperate out shoulders and arms to diff days and also seperate arms into upper and lower (or even forearms, biceps and triceps on three days)

2. 15 reps warm up is ok and 8 per set should be about right but def no more than 12. 3 exercises per body part and 3 sets of 8-10 reps.

3. Concentrate on the negative movements and don't just see it as a shortcut to get back to the next rep.

4. Always exercise perfect form, even if it means dropping alot of weight off.

5. Change routine completely every 4-6 weeks.

6. Eat the right stuff and lots of it.

You can track your progress on bodybuilding.com, but try to only measure up once every couple of months, it takes time but you'll get there in the end.

[Edited on 19/6/08 by eznfrank]

Avoneer

posted on 19/6/08 at 11:20 PM Reply With Quote
You need to be looking at 4 sets of 8 reps max for main body parts and 3 sets of 8 reps max for smaller body parts.

Do one big body part and one small every session.

Stick to basic compound movements only. Lots of curls won't make your arms grow and sit-ups don't make you loose weight around the middle - they make it bigger.

Example:

Monday - Chest and Shoulders
Wednesday - Back and biceps
Friday - Legs and triceps

You should never be in the gym for more than an hour and you really need some Cardio on at least two of the days off.

Try and eat clean with plenty of chicken, tuna etc. and evey 3 hours.

Don't get hung up on suplements, that's all they are and you can live without them.

Pat...

P.S. - You only need to chin-ups for back (palms away from you) and squats for legs. Nothing else cuts it and machines don't do the job as well as free weights.

[Edited on 19/6/08 by Avoneer]

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
C10CoryM

posted on 20/6/08 at 02:30 AM Reply With Quote
At 79kg (12.5stone?) I am by no means an expert on body building but Ive learned 2 things.

1st, squats will add muscle everywhere. Lots of people I know have hit a point where their upper body isn't getting bigger. When they start doing squats they start to add more mass to their legs and upper body.

and 2nd, for protein a cheap/easy way is to buy skim milk powder and add it to regular milk. No fat, cheap, and much better tasting than most other shakes. Apparantly that, and whey protein is what most protein mixes are made of anyhow.

As I said, Im not a big guy but I look pretty good with my clothes off. Girls like abs
Cheers.

"Our watchword evermore shall be: The Maple Leaf Forever!"

welderman

posted on 20/6/08 at 06:41 AM Reply With Quote
nice ass too going off your avatar .

Sorry

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

fesycresy

posted on 20/6/08 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
You could write a book as an answer !

I had to give up years ago due to injury, so this advice may be 15 years old, but, I would suspect overtraining / incorrect diet unless you're getting some 'assistance'.

Compound exercises with free weights, forget isolation and machines.

Dorian Yates

Got the 'Blood and Guts' book myself, good info, not seen the DVD though.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

Bob C

posted on 20/6/08 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
What you need is anabolic steriods - lots of them.
Get a trip out to the olympics, try to arrange for a container load ;^)

chrsgrain

posted on 20/6/08 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
Steroids - make your balls small and your bones weak... saw a guy bench pressing when his humerous (upper arm bone) just collapsed under the weight and became about half the length (ouch!) and he had been using a load of steroids....

Supplements will only make a difference if you are not eating right, or if you are exercising right at the extremes of physiology where you can't physically eat enough. The powdered milk in normal milk is a good one we use with people who need to build muscle mass for medical reasons.

Chris

Spoing! - the sound of an irony meter breaking...

woodster

posted on 20/6/08 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chrsgrain
Steroids - make your balls small and your bones weak... saw a guy bench pressing when his humerous (upper arm bone) just collapsed under the weight and became about half the length (ouch!) and he had been using a load of steroids....

Supplements will only make a difference if you are not eating right, or if you are exercising right at the extremes of physiology where you can't physically eat enough. The powdered milk in normal milk is a good one we use with people who need to build muscle mass for medical reasons.

Chris

they also helped Ben JOHNSON run a 100 metre in 9.79 give his coach charlie the chemist a call

woodster

posted on 20/6/08 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
ho and eat a sh*t load of TUNA
welderman

posted on 23/6/08 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
I took Frank Richards out in my Indy, he thought it fast.

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

02GF74

posted on 23/6/08 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chrsgrain

that doesn't sound funny to me.

focijohn

posted on 23/6/08 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
cheers all, i like the sound of the cider one

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.