Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New job! New car?
MK Charlie

posted on 20/6/08 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
New job! New car?

I am about to start a new job on more money and thought it would be nice to get a new car. I currently drive a W reg Toyota Celica 140 which I get 340miles from £50. I am now thinking of selling this and getting a BMW convertible. Looking at the E46 shape which is 2000-2006.
Only thing is I dont know what engine to get. I really like the idea of a 330ci, but this is going to cost a bomb to tax. The 325 is still nice but would always feel like a compromise. Also, do you think that owning a convertible as my daily driver would take me away from the Indy?

Suggestions and opinions please guys.

Charlie

D Beddows

posted on 20/6/08 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
Is your new job being a hairdresser?

Sorry, coat on, halfway out the door already....

Paul TigerB6

posted on 20/6/08 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
Nooooo dont waste your money on a boring tintop!!!

I vote you supercharge the 4age instead!!!

Jubal

posted on 20/6/08 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
Moving to a new salon?

On a serious note, the sister in law has just sold her 325 convertible. It is too small for kids to sit in comfortably and the boot is tiny. There's no comparison with an Indy.

Mr Whippy

posted on 20/6/08 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
get a real car like a Bluebird
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MK Charlie

posted on 20/6/08 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
I am going to attempt to either supercharge the 4age or go BEC over the winter. Dont want to waste time this summer as last year the car was off the road most of the summer, and this year it has already been off the road for over a month now! I am a bit worried about a convertible being called a hairdressers car, but I've always stuck that label on stuff like the mx5, z3 etc....
I'm only 21 and I want a really nice car that i can pose in! After all, I'm still at the age where a cars looks and pulling power is more important than residual values, running costs, practicality etc...

vinny1275

posted on 20/6/08 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
Have you considered the diesel coupe if you're going to be doing plenty of miles?

It does have a decent boot (and fold down seats), and the looks (if you get the right kit and wheels). Mileage is pretty good, and their oil burners are quite nippy (especilly the 3 litre ones) too....

fesycresy

posted on 20/6/08 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
Exige / VX220 / Elise ?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

eznfrank

posted on 20/6/08 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
What about an Alfa GT? As above I'm not a big fan of Beemers in general and even less so of the convertibles. Unless you're a hairdresser, a bird or a drug dealer they just aint right.
mcerd1

posted on 20/6/08 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MK Charlie
I'm only 21 and I want a really nice car that i can pose in!

what about something older ? (60's/ 70'/ 80's)

personally I always went for the cheapest tin top - and spent the money on the dax
but just got my first 'real' car, a 2001 1.8 Focus, so still boring but the 1.8 blacktop can make me grin and the insurance is dirt cheap and the car only cost £2300
(btw - Im 26 and this is the most expencive tin top I've ever had by 5x )

quote:
Originally posted by MK Charlie I am a bit worried about a convertible being called a hairdressers car, but I've always stuck that label on stuff like the mx5, z3 etc....

what if you got a MX5 (Mk1) and de-hairdresser it

stick in a bigger lump in the front (do 2.0 / 2.3 duratec's fit ? or maybe a turbo/ suppercharger ), fit a roll cage, strip the interior, paint it matt black, and get some black alloys......

[Edited on 20/6/08 by mcerd1]

MK Charlie

posted on 20/6/08 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
Well i do 20-30k miles a year, so dont want anything too cheap. It would make sense for me to get a diesel, but i just really hate the stuff!!!
Can i re-phrase my original question to

"If you were 21, had an MK Indy in your garage and had £10k to spend on your daily driver, what would you get?"

D Beddows

posted on 20/6/08 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
A TVR would probably be high on the list but at 21 I would imagine a years insurance would cost as much as the car!
Mr Whippy

posted on 20/6/08 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

"If you were 21, had an MK Indy in your garage and had £10k to spend on your daily driver, what would you get?"

a gold plated Bluebird

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Paul TigerB6

posted on 20/6/08 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
I think i'd rather have a Saab 9-3 convertible than a Beemer Cab myself - nearly bought one at the trade auctions once for £10k with full leather and the 2.0T engine but the missus wouldnt buy without seeing it!! Tried telling her we could sell it for a profit being a trade auction but she wasnt having it.

[Edited on 20/6/08 by Paul TigerB6]

pewe

posted on 20/6/08 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
^^^Great minds ....
Second-hand SAAB's are good value-for-money, come as convertibles and their turbo engines are good for 230bhp for the miserly sum of about £500.
Image used to be old farts wagons but I suspect 9-3's are a bit younger.
Ins. could be heavy though?
Cheers, pewe

[Edited on 20/6/08 by pewe]

mcerd1

posted on 20/6/08 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Well i do 20-30k miles a year, so dont want anything too cheap.

don't rule a car out just beacuse its cheap
if you can find a car thats basicaly sound, with a few minor issues or one that needs sold quick (for the right resons)

my last car (92' Pug 106 1.0 carb's, 4 spd) cost me £450 with 60K on the clock as a MOT failure (a couple of minor things)
It lasted me 45K without much hassle, then Mango bought it off me, drove it for a couple of months then took it to rome and back (4250 miles in 2 weeks) and its still going......

JimGTI

posted on 20/6/08 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Well i do 20-30k miles a year, so dont want anything too cheap. It would make sense for me to get a diesel, but i just really hate the stuff!!!
Can i re-phrase my original question to

what about an imported 350z? munches the miles, RWD and jap reliability plus plenty of tuning goodies for when you need a bit more speed or possible a DC5 integra type R.. ok its front wheel drive but a great engine and handling, modern styling......

Mr Whippy

posted on 20/6/08 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
buy a cheap sailing boat (£300-2k) and learn to sail? a microlight (£3-5k) learn to fly? Take up kart racing(£300-1500k)?

lots of other things you can do aswell as cars

TimC

posted on 20/6/08 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
The 3 Series is meant to have a roof. End of story.

Same goes for a 911, Mark 1 Golf, etc.

If I were you, with a toy in the garage, I'd be looking for something nice that provides insurance for your lifestyle with fuel at £1.50/litre. In otherwords something which in relative terms sips the old juice.

MK Charlie

posted on 20/6/08 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
I used to sail for England when I was younger and had more free time. Live next to Grafham water so still go quite often. I am a mechanic for my mate who is a race driver, and I don't really have any interest in learning to fly! lol I do like the suggestion of spending the money on a hobby though.
As for cars, I don't really want something old to drive around in.
the reason I chose a BMW is because I currently work for them and the manager has said when I leave I can still get work done at staff rate (£35 per hr as opposed to £131)
I also like the idea of a DC5 as I'm going to work for Honda, and my first car was a civic, so I have a soft spot for Honda's.
I don't really want to have a car that I will end up modifying. Been there, done that and got pulled over 152 times in 1year. I was driving a Honda Civic 1.4 with 15's, lowered 100mm on Tein coilovers with a sppon exhaust. I was the local police's biggest target for a while!

Jasper

posted on 20/6/08 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
3 series with the 3 ltr diesel. I've got that engine in the 5 series, and it's bloody quick in that, and gives me 30mpg and I've got a heavy right foot. So in the 3 series you should get 35+mpg and LOADS of torque.......

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

eznfrank

posted on 20/6/08 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TimC

Unless the driver is a hot 17-25 year old blonde (female!!!)

Daimo_45

posted on 20/6/08 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
I have a 330 Diesel BMW and it's pretty decent. I get 47mpg on the motor and around 32 average with town driving and everything. If you're looking for something nippy there is no point getting anything below the 2.8l 'cos they're all soooo slow 'cos of the weight. Get a 330d 02 onwards 'cos I think they pumped some more bhp into them then go get it remapped for more fuel economy and bhp increase to around 225bhp and not to mention torque.

[Edited on 20/6/08 by Daimo_45]

TimC

posted on 20/6/08 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eznfrank
quote:
Originally posted by TimC

Unless the driver is a hot 17-25 year old blonde (female!!!)

Now you mention it, Charlie can also be short for Charlotte, in which case I may change my approach.....

Fred W B

posted on 20/6/08 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
If you have to buy a BM, what about an M coupe.

Classic, cheap, low milage, owned by enthuiasts?

Cheers

Fred W B

[Edited on 20/6/08 by Fred W B]

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.