Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Alt. earthing
scutter

posted on 21/6/08 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
Alt. earthing

A very quick question, Does the Alternator earth through the body of the unit for charge light circuit?

I've a very nice alt bracket which is powdercoated and isolating the alt from the engine and it's earth strap.

Will a small earthing strap from alt to engine fix this problem.

ATB Dan.

The less I worked, the more i liked it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mookaloid

posted on 21/6/08 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
A bit of wire temporarily fixed to the Alt and the egine block should tell you the answer - it can't do any harm

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

tks

posted on 21/6/08 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
uhhhh....

it will deff need a very good earth..

so i suggest... that you brake locally the surfice...

if it can charge 60amps it needs an earth of 60amps... so depending on the rating of it it will need the earth...

the light doesn't neaad earth because it takes the earth int he dash..and the power from the alternator..

Imagine your charger it has 2 leads to charge your battery... so needs your alternator..

Tks

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

BenB

posted on 21/6/08 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
Or hows about getting a nice big earth strap with "eye" ends. Drill out the eye end to the same size as the alternator adjustor bolt and put the strap eye under the bolt on the adjuster arm.... Earth the other end to something nice and chunky on the chassis....
scutter

posted on 21/6/08 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
Ok. I agree with everything said except the fact the Alt charge light earths at the dash it earths through the alt and when the alt is charging it removes this earth so switching off the light.

Time for a big bonding lead.

ATB Dan.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tks

posted on 21/6/08 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scutter
Ok. I agree with everything said except the fact the Alt charge light earths at the dash it earths through the alt and when the alt is charging it removes this earth so switching off the light.

Time for a big bonding lead.

ATB Dan.

mhhhh you could be right about that one...
but also wrong...

anyway... it needs earth and a good one 2

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

02GF74

posted on 23/6/08 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scutter

correct.

charge lamp is connected to 12 V at one end, other is at alternator. when alternator is not runing, it earths the lamp so it sees 12 V and thus is illuminated.

when alt is running, the voltage rise to 12 V - volt drop across lamp is 0 so it goes off.

.... yes, alternator earth is via the body so thcik earhc strap or fat wire is required and try to connect to -ve of battery as directly as possible. engine/gearbox and chassis should have earth straps too.

martyn_16v

posted on 23/6/08 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tks
mhhhh you could be right about that one...
but also wrong...

very zen

scutter

posted on 23/6/08 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
All sorted, yes i had to add an earth strap, see attached pic, it goes between iether end of the Alt. tnesioner. Also helped with charging if the 12V supply to exite the Alt. was live, a fuse had blown.

All working well now, accord to the MS it's kicking out 13.7V

Cheers to everyone for there help, ATB Dan.

[img][/img]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.