Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: foam casting
timf

posted on 8/12/03 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
foam casting

not sure where to post this

any one had any experience with the 2pk foam ? the chevy v8 lump is a bit heavy to keep pulling in and out so i may try making a foam pattern of it. any ideas how to produce a mould from the engine to do this.

Tim

chrisg

posted on 8/12/03 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
You wouldn't need to make a copy of the engine just the important points, the engine mounts and the gearbox flange, maybe the highest & widest point.

I've seen it done before with thin ply plates fixed to the engine mounts and flanges. these are held in place with a 1"x1" timber "skeleton" then a rough out line of the engine is made using cardboard and parcel tape.

The foam expands by about 10 times when mixed, don't try to do it in one, it bonds to it's self 100% so do it in small amounts.

When it's set you can carve it to exact shape if you need to, the cardboard usually bulges where it's not supported by the skeleton. Any missing bits can be added using a local mould.

Good Luck!!!

Cheers

Chris

[Edited on 8/12/03 by chrisg]

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

MustangSix

posted on 9/12/03 at 02:48 AM Reply With Quote
I got some parts sent to me packed in foam. They had wrapped the part in plastic wrap, put the part in a cardboard box, then filled the box with foam.

When I opened it up and extracted the part, it was a perfect mold of the part that could probably be used to produce a replica foam piece if I wanted to.

Maybe youcould do something similar. Wrpa the block in plastic, build a box around it, fill with foam, then use that for a mold.

[Edited on 9/12/03 by MustangSix]

Rorty

posted on 9/12/03 at 04:53 AM Reply With Quote
I've used slabs of polystyrene foam to cut sliced engine profiles from. The best bet is to use a hot wire. If you can't find one, make one from a length of tube (bent into a C), some fuse wire, and a transformer. The hot wire cuts through the foam like.....er.... a hot wire through foam.
I then glued the profiles together with PVA to produce a light weight "engine". It will last longer if you paint it with some sort of water based goo, like latex, or even acrylic paint.
Your local builders' yard should have broken slabs of foam which they're glad to get rid of. If they don't, then just break some yourself!

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.