Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What a day :(
bilbo

posted on 24/6/08 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
What a day :(

A couple of weeks ago, my dad was diagnosed with cancer. Today we took him to an out-patients clinic at Nottingham City Hospital to find out that, although they may be able to prolong things a little bit with chemo' , the outlook is not very good. It may be that he's too weak to do the chemo at all. And if that wasn't enough, yesterday, my brother and his wife Donna and their two kids arrived from Australia where they live to see dad and help out over the difficult period ahead. Today, however, while we are up at the City Hospital, Donna starts feeling very unwell and starts passing out. She gets so bad that an ambulance is called and she is whisked to the other big Nottingham hospital, the Queens Medical Centre. They're still not sure, but it looks like a recurrence of, believe it or not, Malaria! She originally caught this many years ago while travelling the world – apparently you can never completely get rid of it.

Oh, and did I mention, it's my birthday today

[Edited on 24/6/08 by bilbo]

---------------------------------------

Build Diary: http://bills-locost.blogspot.com/
Web Site: http://locost.atspace.com

Mark G

posted on 24/6/08 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
Happy Birthday,

I hope tomorrow is a better day!

Jon Ison

posted on 24/6/08 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
Difficult to put into words on here but I'll have a short go.

3 years ago missus got the "all clear" from cancer so I know what a knock the diagnosis can be.

The farther in law is in a very similar position to your father but still going very strong months after the news was broken to us, my missus as took the opportunity to do all the things with him she always said she would but you never do, simple things like take him down to club for a pint and a game of pool.

He seems to be taking it all in his stride and at 1st it was us, the people around him that seemed to become depressed which in turn didnt help the situation, we now just get on with things and the C word is never mentioned and we enjoy as much as we can while we can.

I'm sorry the typed word may come over a little cold as you cant see the expression on peoples face like you can when their speaking, all at this end send our sincere wishes to you all, not much else I can add other than after the initial shock and acceptance things do sorta get back to normal if that's at all possible.

Jon.

tks

posted on 24/6/08 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
feel sorry for you.....

When life is bright you need to make the most of it!! Its the best thing i learned and i'm only 25!! Its the only way to be able to cope with crap...

crap + brightness = life..

know it doesn't help but try to make the most out of it every day..

so try to spent some time with both the persons etc. etc...

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

BenB

posted on 24/6/08 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote

Despite the fact that mention of QMC and NCH brings back memories of my training, that's about it as far as positives in that story....

Hope tommorow brings better news!!

worX

posted on 24/6/08 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
Without trying to join the Jon Ison camp today, I have to second whats been said wholeheartedly.

I have been exposed to what cancer does to a family and since then it's made me appreciate what my mother and father are up to, and even though it's easier for me to get on with my dad than my mum I try very hard to remember that very soon they won't be here for whatever reason and :::to quote an oft used phrase::: Life is far too fleeting to take for granted.

Share it with who you want, do whatever you want as long as it doesn't hurt anyone and most of all - enjoy what you've got!

Steve
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Ison
Difficult to put into words on here but I'll have a short go.

3 years ago missus got the "all clear" from cancer so I know what a knock the diagnosis can be.

The farther in law is in a very similar position to your father but still going very strong months after the news was broken to us, my missus as took the opportunity to do all the things with him she always said she would but you never do, simple things like take him down to club for a pint and a game of pool.

He seems to be taking it all in his stride and at 1st it was us, the people around him that seemed to become depressed which in turn didnt help the situation, we now just get on with things and the C word is never mentioned and we enjoy as much as we can while we can.

I'm sorry the typed word may come over a little cold as you cant see the expression on peoples face like you can when their speaking, all at this end send our sincere wishes to you all, not much else I can add other than after the initial shock and acceptance things do sorta get back to normal if that's at all possible.

Jon.

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 24/6/08 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
I am with you all the way

I'm 4 chemos through an 8 chemo cycle, for advanced Lymphoma.

Sometimes you'll laugh, you'll cry a lot too.
just make sure its the laughing you remember.

yours in support

Liam Mc

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

JUD

posted on 24/6/08 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
Feel for you mate.

My wife is into chemo session 3 next week. I know what you are going through. Little comfort I know, but there you go... a lot of sh1t unfortunately happens!

Try and stay positive - its the only way.

Cheers

Martin

---------------------
MK Indy Blade

bilbo

posted on 24/6/08 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all your kind words. I wasn't sure at first whether to post this thread or not, thinking it's a bit personal and nothing to do with building cars, but I'm glad I did - 'A problem shared...' and all that.
Thanks again,
Bill

---------------------------------------

Build Diary: http://bills-locost.blogspot.com/
Web Site: http://locost.atspace.com

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 25/6/08 at 02:08 AM Reply With Quote
don't worry about it i posted about my ordeal too it helped a lot

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

RK

posted on 25/6/08 at 02:42 AM Reply With Quote
"Life is full of shit, when you think of it..."

But you just carry on the best you can. Try to do things you have always done, and don't change your routine any more than you have to. You will get through this!

thepest

posted on 25/6/08 at 05:33 AM Reply With Quote
Ever tried something alternative? Perhaps it will help?
http://www.cancertutor.com/

Its a very long read but it maybe worth it.

Take care

davie h

posted on 25/6/08 at 06:52 AM Reply With Quote
try to stay positive i know its hard i've been there with my own dad. some days your up some your down but you'll all get through it

Davie

nib1980

posted on 25/6/08 at 07:03 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry for your bad news, the only thing I can say is Malaria is very treatable nowadays, and the QMC is one of the best for the study of Tropiocal diseases.
Mr Whippy

posted on 25/6/08 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote

happy birthday anyway, it was mine yesterday too and my bosses

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.