Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Design the perfect commuter kit car, committee stage
mr henderson

posted on 3/7/08 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
Design the perfect commuter kit car, committee stage

With the cost of fuel going up all the time, now might be the time for some enterprising manufacturer (not me) to design a kit specifically to address the problem of the commute, shopping etc.

Now we all love our LSIS's etc. but they really aren't ideal for everyday use. But if there was a kit which would end up as a four seater, with a windscreen, roof, doors even, that one could drive all the year round then I think that would be a good thing, especially if said car was actually interesting, good looking, quick?. Even better if it was cheap and quick to build.

Anyway, the first question would be what the overall form of the car should be, and inevitably, what should be the donor?

More or less got to be front wheel drive, if it's to satisfy all the requirements above (although satisfying the good looking requirement with a front wheel drive car is a bit tricky)

As inspiration, might I suggest William Town's Mini Hustler? It would need to be updated, but I think he had all the basics right

Anyone want to take this discussion on from here?

John

Jubal

posted on 3/7/08 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
A commuter car is an appliance which should be built in a factory, to a price and on a scale far beyond any kit manufacturer. I can't see it being attractive to the self builder in any numbers.

If things go on as they are then properly small, economical vehicles will be viable as long as they start, stop and go as reliably as the appliances in your kitchen. I know I could use one ~3 days a week if there's room for a few bags of shopping etc.

donut

posted on 3/7/08 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
IF.... i had the space and money i would build an electric car using a Citroen or Pug mini van. Light with room in the back for batteries. You can use the orig gearbox and axle. Bolt a motor to an adaptor plate which then bolts to the gearbox. Speed coltroler and away you go.

There is an electric Citroen Balingo that does about 55 miles per charge so providing work was say no more than 20 miles away then it's feasable.

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
russbost

posted on 3/7/08 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
They were flogging brand new Ka's for £4995 recently - ok it has a boot you could barely fit a handbag in but still £4995 - I'd like to see any kit manufacturer match that as an on the road price even if you were building it yourself - you could spend £2k just doing interior trim properly!!!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
StevieB

posted on 3/7/08 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
MEV now do an electric trike that can be built for a fairly small sum.

Look on Youtube for MEV etrike - they sell the plans for £50 and the plans + grp for £350. I want to buy the plans, mod the chassis, fit 4 wheels and stick a bike engine in

donut

posted on 3/7/08 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
MEV etrike: Looks like a sooped up wheel chair!!

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
skodaman

posted on 3/7/08 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
Price wise it's not going to be competitive with something like a second hand Ford Ka, therefore you've got to make it considerably better.
Something like a rear wheel drive hatchback would be good.
Junk all the unnecessary stuff fitted to modern cars to save weight. So no power steering, servo or anti-lock brakes etc. etc. etc.
Need a fairly modern and common donor with choice of engines from mild to wild. Rwd gearbox is probably the hardest part. I seriously don't think many people would bother if it was fwd.

Skodaman

StevieB

posted on 3/7/08 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by donut
MEV etrike: Looks like a sooped up wheel chair!!

Yep, but my idea is to stretch it out a bit, fit a proper steering wheel and 2 wheels at the rear.

Oh, and a cbr600 engine

mr henderson

posted on 3/7/08 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
Here's a pic of the Hustler I mentioned aerlier, one f the early ones with plywood panels on a steel frame. Later ones had glassfibre bodywork, and quite a few had six wheels (2 rear mini subframes)

I think it looks good, though that isn't surprising as he did design the original Aston Martin DBS (winner of the Henderson best looking car of all time award)

A later version

[Edited on 3/7/08 by mr henderson]

graememk

posted on 3/7/08 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
richard from robinhood used to have one i think ?

Alan B

posted on 3/7/08 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
My opinion....

I could not possibly motivate myself to build a sensible, economical, eco-friendly, commuter car. For me if it was something I could go out and buy then I'd just do that.

For me a major reason to build a car is to achieve a cost/performance ratio that the big boys just can't do.

I think the kit market suggests that I'm not alone with this opinion.

Dangle_kt

posted on 3/7/08 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
with a tin top I want mile after mile of trouble free, thought free motoring - you do not either of them in kit car.

"what is that knocking sound?"

Dangle_kt

posted on 3/7/08 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
do they have a website? I can find the vid on youtube, but no more info...

cheers!

quote:
Originally posted by StevieB
MEV now do an electric trike that can be built for a fairly small sum.

Look on Youtube for MEV etrike - they sell the plans for £50 and the plans + grp for £350. I want to buy the plans, mod the chassis, fit 4 wheels and stick a bike engine in

chrisg

posted on 3/7/08 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
look here

Or buy "classic and sportscar" August 2008 issue, there's a great article in there.

Something like that with a modern three cylinder engine would be good.

cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

David Jenkins

posted on 3/7/08 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
A lot depends on what you want to do with it... Monday to Friday, I drive my car 6 miles to the station, and 6 miles home again, with only a small part of the journey at 60mph - most far less.

Either the electric cars, or the Indian compressed-air car, would probably serve me very well for that. Although I do understand that the energy has to come from somewhere - before anyone says it!

jimmyjoebob

posted on 3/7/08 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
William Towns also did a Hustler using Jag V12 engine and running gear and 6 wheels!

It would be interesting to do a more up-to-date version as the concept is great if a little too angular! You could use something like a pug 106 diesel as a base.

If at first you don't succeed, hide all evidence you ever tried!

JC

posted on 3/7/08 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
I always liked the Alto Duo which could out smart a certain trendy commuter car. Or how about the ACV30 mini concept - mid engined !!!!

Can't get photos to display! HELP!
They're in my archive!

[Edited on 3/7/08 by JC]

[Edited on 3/7/08 by JC]

[Edited on 3/7/08 by JC]

mr henderson

posted on 3/7/08 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jimmyjoebob
William Towns also did a Hustler using Jag V12 engine and running gear and 6 wheels!

Very tasty, too. Don't know about the handling characteristics, though

jimmyjoebob

posted on 3/7/08 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
This may have been on here before, but one person's interpretation of a modern day mini moke looked quite interesting

moke 1
moke 1

moke 4
moke 4

If at first you don't succeed, hide all evidence you ever tried!

mr henderson

posted on 3/7/08 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
Many of the people here seem to think that the reason forbuilding a kit car is to own the result, I can well understand that, but there are a lot of people out there who enjoy the building part the most, I know I certainly do.

There are lots a people who built all kinds of kit cars that many of the people here would laugh at, eg Rangers, Ginetta saloons, mini scamps. But, if you've only got one garage and a couple of kids that don't want to be left out of the driving fun, why not?

clairetoo

posted on 3/7/08 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
I like the idea of a super cheap to run practical everyday kit-car..........but it would have to be cheap to build as well - my current tin-top is the most expensive car I have ever bough (the Fury dont count since that is my hobby...) at........£600 two years ago .
How about Corsa running gear ? Loads of them about , cheap widely available spares , and a good range of engines . Then I would allready have a doner car

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

Jasper

posted on 4/7/08 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
I personally think, like others have said, that their wouldn't be much demand in building something that at the end of the day is the 'work' car, not the 'fun' car.

And something with a full body, interior etc etc will always be more expensive than a mass produced car, and less reliable.

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

mr henderson

posted on 4/7/08 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
I note that this has become a discussion about the marketability of such a vehicle, rather than what form such a vehicle would take.

I guess that means the committee is not in favour of looking at the project in more detail.

Never mind, it was only an idea.

John

D Beddows

posted on 4/7/08 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
I think the pictures on this thread demostrate why the ideas always a bit of a non starter

tbh the other problem the idea has is that in order to be easy and cheapish to build it would have to be front wheel drive and based on a small hatchback. It would also have to have a roof and hatchback type bodywork. To carry on for a bit I can't see such a vehicle being able to be built for less than about £5K and it would probably take an average of about a year to build. At the end of all that I'm not sure it would be much better to drive or more economical than the donor and as you could probably buy a donor vehicle with a years MOT every year (then scrap it before the MOT is due up again) for about 6 years for the same price as the commuter kit car.......... you do wonder if it would be worth the effort......

mr henderson

posted on 4/7/08 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by D Beddows
I think the pictures on this thread demostrate why the ideas always a bit of a non starter

Well beauty has always been in the eye of the beholder, I personally really like the Hustler shape and style

quote:
Originally posted by D Beddows

tbh the other problem the idea has is that in order to be easy and cheapish to build it would have to be front wheel drive and based on a small hatchback. It would also have to have a roof and hatchback type bodywork. To carry on for a bit I can't see such a vehicle being able to be built for less than about £5K and it would probably take an average of about a year to build. At the end of all that I'm not sure it would be much better to drive or more economical than the donor and as you could probably buy a donor vehicle with a years MOT every year (then scrap it before the MOT is due up again) for about 6 years for the same price as the commuter kit car.......... you do wonder if it would be worth the effort......

Since when has kit car building been about the economics? Basically, never.

I think your figures are a bit out as well, a car like that could and should just be a straight parts swapping operation. There wouldn't need to be all the extra work converting components to different set ups such as there is in Locosts etc.

As I said earlier, I don't intend to have a go at this myself, but I did buy an Audi 1.8t A3 for £700 a few weeks ago (it's had a bit of a bump, hence the price). A kit car based on that would probably go very well, and would be quite a bit lighter than the donor.

John

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.