Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MIG welding stainless - !!NOW WITH AWESOME MS PAINT DIAGRAM!!
Benzine

posted on 4/7/08 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
MIG welding stainless - !!NOW WITH AWESOME MS PAINT DIAGRAM!!

Is a 75% argon / 25% CO2 mix okay for welding stainless or should I get a bottle of pure argon?

I'm trying to weld some 1.5mm thick stainless at the moment and I just can't get the hang of it, any tips? Wire feed/power etc?

Cheers

[Edited on 4/7/08 by Benzine]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tegwin

posted on 4/7/08 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
I found I had to whack up the power really high, increase the feed rate to prevent the wire welding to the tip...Even then the weld quality was poor!...

U should really use pure argon, but a mix ith some co2 would make the welding a lot easier....

Its not easy or pretty....Dont think I will try it again with a hobby welder!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Benzine

posted on 4/7/08 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
I've just lowered the feed rate and power and I'm getting better results but still not great. With a higher power it was distorting/blowing holes.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Benzine

posted on 4/7/08 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
Here's a diagram of what I've been welding. Figure A is when two sheets meet, this I can weld really well, v happy with it. But when I'm welding in a 90 degree angle it all goes down the pan What am I doing wrong?

Ivan

posted on 4/7/08 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
I seem to recall reading something about swapping the +ve and -ve leads for stainless welding - or was it for some other metal?

02GF74

posted on 4/7/08 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ivan
I seem to recall reading something about swapping the +ve and -ve leads for stainless welding - or was it for some other metal?

alumiumium I think.

here are some tips I wrote especially for ya

UncleFista

posted on 4/7/08 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ivan

I don't think so, but I do know you have to swap +ve and -ve when you switch between gas and gasless wire.

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

Benzine

posted on 4/7/08 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74

here are some tips I wrote especially for ya

^__^ thanks for the link, picked up some great tips. I'm really getting the hang of it now and I'm getting some excellent welds! I think I was just rushing it to much and I wasn't really concentrating on the bead. Also I've set up the work piece in a much better position to work on.

Volvorsport

posted on 4/7/08 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
nozzle needs to be poking out of the shield , to prevent spatter , you need to work quickly with high settings . youre not looking for penetration !

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

cjtheman

posted on 4/7/08 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
i would use astec 5 gas we use it in work
it gives an awesome finish
a little bit more expensive but well worth it
cheers
colin

kango

posted on 13/7/08 at 06:06 AM Reply With Quote
With regard to the gas used.

Is there a gas that you can use for mig and tig.

It looks like one gets a better result using tig on SS. Also nice once migged to go over it with the tig to neaten it up, but don't have space for another bottle of gas?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.