Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Back on the road, but for how long?
MK Charlie

posted on 8/7/08 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
Back on the road, but for how long?

Well after a massive repair involving flywheel, clutch, gearbox, speedo sensor and both engine mounts I am finally back out on the road. Have really lost confidence inthe car and can only think that by the weekend it will be back in the garage broken! But even the 15mile joy ride i got in it yesterday made all the agro worth every minute and every penny!
Mr Whippy

posted on 8/7/08 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
LOL your posts make me laugh, you should try owning a Landrover, they last ten minutes before something else falls off Then you take the pile of junk up the side of a mountain in the middle of nowhere hoping the wheels stay on!

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
omega0684

posted on 8/7/08 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
mate you've got the right idea! get out in the beast and tame it, build your confidence back by driving harder and faster through those country lanes
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BenB

posted on 8/7/08 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
I'm still trying to build up some confidence from a year ago.
Driving in the pitching rain, aquaplanning at 50mph, totally unable to see where I was going (or where I'd been), just occasionally seeing a bit of lane marker to try and drive down I almost stopped (despite it being the motorway!!!).....
I love my car but I don't want to be stuck in that weather again....

MK Charlie

posted on 9/7/08 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
Well so far all the bits that have failed have all been ford bits! Says it all if you ask me. Been out the last 2 nights on the trot and nothing to report (he says wearily) Car is as good as ever, but still trying to build up confidence.
I definately think I need to invest in a better gearbox as I cant see this one lasting. Looked at sequential but so expensive, so i reckon I will just go for straight cut as my winter mod.

Charlie

Mr Whippy

posted on 9/7/08 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MK Charlie
Well so far all the bits that have failed have all been ford bits! Says it all if you ask me. Been out the last 2 nights on the trot and nothing to report (he says wearily) Car is as good as ever, but still trying to build up confidence.
I definately think I need to invest in a better gearbox as I cant see this one lasting. Looked at sequential but so expensive, so i reckon I will just go for straight cut as my winter mod.

Charlie

why, what’s wrong with the gearbox? it will be very noisy in a 7 normally

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

bob

posted on 9/7/08 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
A straight cut/dog box will be even noisier.

Are you sure its the box ? remember you are sitting very close to the diff which in the sierra was soundproofed by distance rear seats and boot.

I havnt followed your problems but i am sure it all can be resolved

[Edited on 9/7/08 by bob]

bob

posted on 9/7/08 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
OK i have read the dissaster threads and yes you have had some bad luck.

I am presuming you have a type 9 box bolted on the 4age, did you fit the stiffer gearbox mount ? or stiffen up the original sierra one ? I found there was far too much movement in the engine bay which is mainly caused by the sierra type 9 gearbox mount being like a sponge pudding.
I managed to fit a plate to the underside of the original sierra box mount and has made a massive difference to drivabillity re gear changes, it also made the movement of the eng/box far less and reduced the prop/chassis mating to nout.

hope this helps

MK Charlie

posted on 9/7/08 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
I have a plate under my gear box with a few little rubber mounts that bolts onto the chassis. That is the only mount for the gear box, except the engine and prop. Found some slightly stronger mounts for the engine but these are still not ideal. I get a loud rattle noise from the gearbox area when i change gear or at certain points of throttle while in gear. I can hear the diff all the time, but I have a quaiffe 4.4 so that will make a slight noise. My suspension is also set very hard which isnt going to help matters, so i'm going to soften it a little. What tyre pressures do people run? Hopefully I will make it to a couple of meets in the east anglia area this summer so if any of you go to them you will be able to hear all the weird and wonderful noises that my car makes (or just look at it on the back of the RAC truck)

Charlie

bob

posted on 9/7/08 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
Tyre pressures

I'm running 18psi with a zetec for weight, i will have to run out to the garage to confirm the actual tyres though LOL

OK tyres are 195/50 - 15's

[Edited on 10/7/08 by bob]

oldtimer

posted on 9/7/08 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
Glad to hear you are back on the road. I dropped off my new(ish) 4.4 CWP the other day and Phil Jones engine developments turned it around in 2 days, just got to put the whole car together now......

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.