Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Type9 gearbox to 1300 crossflow
locobri

posted on 10/7/08 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
Type9 gearbox to 1300 crossflow

I have a 1300 crossflow and a type 9 gearbox. what changes do I need to make to get them to work. I have got hold of a correct clutch plate for the gearbox but was unable to engage gear. It has been sugested that I change the flywheel as well. Is this nessesary?
Mr Whippy

posted on 10/7/08 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
when you press the clutch does it actually disengage the drive? i.e put it in gear (engine off) push the pedal down or leaver the arm over and try to rotate the propshaft. if it does turn without trying to turn the engine then the clutch works. if not then you may have to find another size of thrust bearing or maybe another lever arm (or modify it). you just need to do a bit of investigation to see what’s going on.

Another thought is maybe your clutch pedal is simply to short to move the lever arm enough to disengage, perhaps get a crowbar and push the arm as far as it will go them see if that disengages the clutch.

If you can’t reach the prop shaft, put one rear wheel on the ground and jack the other up then turn that wheel.

[Edited on 10/7/08 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
locobri

posted on 10/7/08 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
With the engine switched off I can select any gear by pressing the clutch. If the engine is turned on whist in gear (clutch pedal pressed in the car will start and creep froward slightly. With the engine started, I can't get any forward gear but can just crunch reverse.
82 Locost

posted on 10/7/08 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
It sounds to me like the clutch is just dragging and you should be able to adjust that out. Are you getting full lever travel when you press the clutch pedal, or could it move further?

I don't think the flywheel needs changing.

Reverse crunching happens on my type 9, I just select 2nd before reverse and it's better then.

[Edited on 10/7/08 by 82 Locost]

BillHoll

posted on 10/7/08 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
You should not have to modify anything else. The problem is related to clutch drag this could be for a few reasons.
1. The clutch plate is in the wrong way round.
2. The clutch plate is sticking on the gearbox input shaft splines.
3. The spigot bearing is too tight i.e. wrong size.
4. The gearbox input shaft is too long, I believe some of the type 9's had a longer input shaft.
5. Or as Mr Whippy says the lever is not trvelling far enough.
Unfortunately to rectify it means engine out.

Hope this helps

David Jenkins

posted on 10/7/08 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
There can sometimes be an issue with the type of release bearing:

If your clutch cover has flat fingers then you need the bearing with a curved face.

If the cover has raised fingers then you need a flat-face bearing.

Pictures courtesy of Burtons - who can advise on which bearing goes with which cover (these aren't quite the right ones)

locobri

posted on 11/7/08 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
Many thanks to all that took time to make thier suggestions. I will work through them and let you know which one worked.
locobri

posted on 13/7/08 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
thanks again for all suggestions posted. I've worked through them and at last one work. it was all down the the clutch cover plate that was at fault. a friend had a spare one which I tried and it worked. Big relief and thanks again.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.