Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Kitcar insurance for under 21 year old
timex

posted on 10/7/08 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
Kitcar insurance for under 21 year old

Me and my father have being building our Luego Velocity for the past 3 years and we finaly past the SVA first time last week. Now its time to sort out some insurance so that we can register it and get the thing on the road.

I would realy like to try and get insured on the car aswell as my father so I can enjoy the car after all the hard work. If not I will just have to stick to the trackdays and odd goes on private land.

Is they any other under 21 year old kitcar drivers out there?

I will be turning 20 at the end of august and the Velocity has a 2.0L Zetec, Is they any chance ???

tegwin

posted on 10/7/08 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
I was 20 a few weeks ago....Most companies officially wont touch you..

But several have agreed to cover me provided I am the policy holder and my old man is the named driver....It would be a limited mileage policy...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Mr Whippy

posted on 10/7/08 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
I was 20 a few weeks ago....Most companies officially wont touch you..

But several have agreed to cover me provided I am the policy holder and my old man is the named driver....It would be a limited mileage policy...

agreed this is the way to go, forget about building up no claims bonuses till your 25, it just isn't worth it. When I first started off driving it was under my mums insurance and was very little extra.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
indykid

posted on 10/7/08 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
kitcar policies do not take account of, nor accrue no claims.

footman james covered me when i was 19 and 20. since then, i've been with sureterm. i think flux quoted when i was 19 too.

if footman james offer you a policy with NIG, walk away though. i was apalled at their efficiency sorting out my claim. took in the region of 5 months but MK didn't do the process any favours either.

tom

MK Charlie

posted on 10/7/08 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
I was 19 when I first got insurance on my Indy. I got it with Adrian Flux, although they refused to insure me at first, then i rang again and they quoted me. Beware, you will have an uber light wallet after! They got me for £900 for 3000miles. Now I'm 21 I'm paying just over £200 for the same policy.
Sureterm are very good for young drivers, but will not touch under 21's on a kit car.

wilkingj

posted on 10/7/08 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm..
My 19 years old son, just passed his test.

1995 1.1 fiesta (£300 car)
Cheapest I could find was £2100.
Even if he had my 60% NCD, thats £840 ish
Its just plain Crazy...

Same Fiesta, me, the wife, my Son, and the elder son (at uni and on a provisional Licence) Plus the Volvo 850 (me and wife only) All Fully Comp £650 the lot.

Its crackers!

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
timex

posted on 10/7/08 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
ok, what engines are you running?
timex

posted on 10/7/08 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
Adrian flux just qouted me £1882.42 and 3000 miles max.
No chance!!!!

Seemes strange, im nearly 20 now so being driving for nearly 3 years now and I own a 05 plate mitsubish L200 warrior 2.5 and I pay just under £1500 for that and thats 8000 miles.

02GF74

posted on 10/7/08 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
here's why

although there probably have been 10x or more older and experienced drivers killed on the roads in the past few days yet no mention in the news. it's a conspiracy you know.

oh, and as I say each birthday, the only good thing about getting older is cheaper car insurance.

good luck.

you can always drive with no tax and insurance, kill a few peds and get a couple months in prison, they now have nice food and TV apparently now.

[Edited on 10/7/08 by 02GF74]

indykid

posted on 10/7/08 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
you don't know you need 3000 miles yet.

start on 1500. you can always up it later.

tom

dhutch

posted on 16/7/08 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
Intereted in the discution.
- Ive still not actually got around to buying a ruddy kit car to its a bit academic yet but seeing at i turned 21 two months ago i guess thats a good thing!

Daniel

A1

posted on 16/7/08 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
ive been trying to et quotes from all the mentioned companies, but they all say they wont touch me till im about 20 - 25...
msm insurance quoted me just under 1700 for a R1 powered indy...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.