Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: BMW E30 Touring
TimC

posted on 19/7/08 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
BMW E30 Touring

Does anyone have any experience of the E30 Touring?

Desperate to change my tin top (Sierra) and this is currently top of the list. What do you think?

NS Dev

posted on 19/7/08 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
Alright ish, rot quite badly if not looked after.

Bigger Beemers are much better value though, look at the E34 5 series for bargain basement pricing!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

jimmyjoebob

posted on 19/7/08 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
Awesome cars!

My everyday car for the last two years. Great build quality, well designed (except for the narrow boot opening between the rear lights) and cheap to buy parts for.

If at first you don't succeed, hide all evidence you ever tried!

rf900rush

posted on 19/7/08 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
Hi thinking of selling my Subaru Outback.
2000 2.5l fully loaded. (pre- bad Road tax.)
Hasn't got the looks of a BMM touring.
Did look at a few when I bought the Outback.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ricklawn

posted on 19/7/08 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
Been running a 5 series touring for 18 months now and can't fault it
Rick

blakep82

posted on 19/7/08 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
my E30 coupe was a great car the first car i wanted, bought and wasn't disappointed with.

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Jasper

posted on 19/7/08 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
Got a 6 year old 5 series 3lt diesel and it's an awesome car - I love it, loads of power, loads of boot space, beautifully put together, drives superbly, wont swap it for anything except the new 535TD!!

Probably worth around £9-10K now...

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

Hellfire

posted on 19/7/08 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
Wouldn't buy another BMW - vastly over-rated, over-priced and (for the premium price) not that reliable.

I've said it before and I'll say it again... I do about 45K miles per annum and BMW's are the most popular car on the hard shoulder.

Steve

AndyGT

posted on 19/7/08 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
yes but usually accompanied by police patrol cars for speeding...

nothing is impossible
everything is possible

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Blackbird Rush

posted on 19/7/08 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
Get a 325i auto with selectable sport modes!!

Had one of these for about 7 years, bought it with 75K on the clock and it didn't miss a beat until i sold it with 160K only did routine servicing.

Newer beemers are no way built as good as the E30 was, the last of the REAL BMW's.

Cant recommend enough!

Ash.

Mark Allanson

posted on 19/7/08 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
General fault across the whole range is opaque rear view mirrors and inoperable indicators

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Hellfire

posted on 19/7/08 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AndyGT
yes but usually accompanied by police patrol cars for speeding...

Ahhhh - that's why the bonnet is up... act's as a speed restrictor... Yeah right...

Steve

NS Dev

posted on 19/7/08 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
My first beemer was the 740i that I am now getting rid of.

Cost me £700 to buy it, in really good nick, with FSH etc.

I put a new rad in it (£95) and one new coolant hose, other than that its been spot on.

Build quality makes anything else I have driven feel like its made of toilet tissue.....

By way of comparison, I regularly drive brand new toyotas and nissans made at the uk plants as we supply them, and also regularly use an '07 saab turbo diesel and various other newish stuff.........

My 740 knocks them all into the weeds in terms of quality and drive, and its done 196,000 miles

It really pains me to drive a lot of new cars, especially a lot coming out of france, that feel so badly put together.

On the negative side, the reason I am selling the 7 series is I CANNOT, however I drive, see better than 23 mpg in mixed, non-urban driving, 17mpg in town, and over 300 motorway miles the best it will average is 25 mpg

I've just bought a 1996, 139,000mile 525 tds touring for £800, that currently looks like about £700 over priced, as it has some starting issues, but I'll soon sort them. This is better on fuel, managing 35mpg on a run, which isn't bad for a big old bus.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

jimmyjoebob

posted on 20/7/08 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
I had a 324 td touring (left hand drive 2.4 turbo diesel 6cyl import) that was quick for a diesel but only did 35mpg overall.

I then changed to a 325 Auto touring which is quick and has averaged 35mpg to and from work (46 miles each way) for the last 13 months. Unfortuantely, the economy comes from the fact the previous owner vastly overskimmed the head (it is almost 2,5mm under limit) which means I have to run it on super unleaded and it consumes head gaskets every 6 months where it burns through between cylinders.
220k miles and still going strong apart from this!

If at first you don't succeed, hide all evidence you ever tried!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.