Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Issues - NOT having reverse
Kriss

posted on 21/7/08 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
Issues - NOT having reverse

Just been informed that my car will not be having an electric reverse fitted now.

I have not seen it myself, but the AB performance reverse that was bought for my new R1 Indy requires it to be fitted very low under the chassis of the car where it is exposed. it also requires a push-pull cable and handle to operate and engage the gear/cog.

How do people get on with no reverse?

Im thinking it looks a bit silly during a three point turn if ever needed or at a pub car park on a sunday evening.

What have people done retro etc?

amalyos

posted on 21/7/08 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
If your going to the Pub, make sure you take a friend:
1. It's a bit boring drinking on your own.
2. Built in Reverse, for the cost of a beer.

Mines been on the road for nearly 2 years now without a reverse, not had any major issues.

http://stevembuild.blogspot.com

Kriss

posted on 21/7/08 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
yeah i guess so.

Fancy a beer? Get and and push then!

Will always be at a pub with a mate, and I am sure if I ever got that stuck locals would help. Its all part of the enjoyment and involvement of owning the car I guess.

Just wait till the CEC girls get wind of this post lol

worX

posted on 21/7/08 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
You (virtually) never get stuck mate so don't worry about it!!!

But why does it have to be mounted so low? I've seen an ABP Reverse on a Westfield MegaBlade and one on an Indy, and both are easily mounted in the tunnel...

Steve

Mr Whippy

posted on 21/7/08 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
at the junction you realise the nose is out to far....oh oh big truck!!!

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
phoenix70

posted on 21/7/08 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
Hey, I'll be the first CEC owner to bite. True enough you can drive round not having a reverse, but I seen it as a lot of hassle. I was thinking about going BEC but the cost and the lack of reverse, eventually put me off the idea. My driveway is on a slope and too narrow to turn the seven in, so with no reverse I would have to push it out of the garage/driveway and then drive it back in.

One other thing, no-one knows you aint got a reverse, so one day you will meet another drive that will expect you to reverse.

Also when the new SVA is introduced you will require a reverse..... they must be adding this for a reason.

Cheers

Scott

BenB

posted on 21/7/08 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
Having a reverse is occasionally an advantage (like the other day when I was filling up a petrol station and as soon as I'd got my 6 point racing harness all buckled up a flipping big van pulled into the pump in front and then reversed so it was 10cm away from my nosecone....)... but mostly if you plan ahead you can get by very nicely without one....
Kriss

posted on 21/7/08 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all of your comments. As I said, the ins and outs of why it is hard have only been dicsussed over a phone with the builder.

SVA isnt a problem, sailed through that a few weeks back. Will see how I get on without. If I need one, then perhaps Quaiffe or ABP with a different angel of approach is needed. Along with a bigger battery.

tjoh84

posted on 21/7/08 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
hiya chris maybee look else where about getting one fitted as i was having one on my car and was told by same guy at the end ow it wont fit.

but bright side not had a prob with out it just the mates laughing whens your car back

coozer

posted on 21/7/08 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
and from next year the new IVA test requires reverse or else its a fail. That was confirmed by the inspector when I was at SVA last week

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Riggins

posted on 21/7/08 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
I've just brought a BEC car with no reverse and I can tell you for fact that even though the cars may not be heavy compared to 'normal' cars, they're still bloody heavy to push up an incline. Made even worse when I have to push the car into my garage on a slight incline with a gravel drive
PS. And you do feel like a complete t1t when you have to undo the 4 point harness and jump out to push!

marc n

posted on 21/7/08 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
i had an electric revesre kit from ab performance and fitted it on top of the propshaft no problem at all
i would persuede your builder to have another look as no reverse is a pain in the arse to be frank

best regards

marc

please email rather than u2u
direct workshop email ( manned 8am till 6pm )
www.mnrltd.co.uk enquireys to :-
chrismnrltd@btinternet.com

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hellfire

posted on 21/7/08 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
Don't bother with reverse unless you actually need it. We've driven ours for approx four years and never needed it. Just requires a bit of forethought when parking up.

Phil

tjoh84

posted on 21/7/08 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
if up hill to garage drive in and then roll it out thats what i do.
bigfoot4616

posted on 21/7/08 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
i do the same. although last week i had to push it in and even though its quite steep into my garage it was still quite easy
Kriss

posted on 21/7/08 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
some very mixed opinions all from very trusty sources.

thank you all. think i will see how i get on and i imagine retro fitting is fairly do-able using a similar piece of kit.

i also imagine the availability and range of similar systems will increase as the new SVA laws close in.

Marc N - did your AB kit supply you with everything you need inc wires, lever etc? is in your "olive" green/grey MNR? think i have seen a dash and tunnel photo

thanks all

welderman

posted on 22/7/08 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
Didn't you post up a while ago that you were having your propshaft made to suit the Reverse setup?

(Could of been someone else though!)

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

Riggins

posted on 22/7/08 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tjoh84
if up hill to garage drive in and then roll it out thats what i do.

Unfortunately if the incline is quite small (also filled with bumps) and there's gravel, the car just stops and doesn't roll anywhere. This is usually followed by cartoon style running on the spot as my feet struggle for grip in the stones as I try and push.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.