Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: RGB car for sale, do you know it?
MK9R

posted on 22/7/08 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
RGB car for sale, do you know it?

do you know this car??

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/607660.htm

Ran by peter brown at anglesea and brands this year and ready to roll.

looking at the possibility of swapping my car for this rather than prep mine up.

[Edited on 22/7/08 by MK9R]

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
PAUL FISHER

posted on 22/7/08 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
If your looking to race it in the RGB,looking at the results from Anglesey I would look else where,unless you can drive like lewis Hamilton

http://www.750mc.co.uk/images/uploaded/07_Anglesey_07-08th_June_RGB.pdf

MK9R

posted on 22/7/08 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
LOL! I did look at the results, but it doesn't really tell you anything about the cars potential if you don't know the driver.

I'm sure what ever car i do it in, my final position will be no higher!!

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
PAUL FISHER

posted on 22/7/08 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
Joking aside,if your looking at a cheap way to get into RGB,and gain some experience,it looks a cheap option,not ever seen the car though,got to worth a look though at that money.
TimC

posted on 22/7/08 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
From what I can make out, it's all about development; of both car and driver.

Look at Derek Jones' current car. If you talk to Mr Ison he'll tell you that his MK was far quicker when the BDN S2 first appeared. Last year it was developeed to the point where it was undoubtably the quickest car in the field in the wet and a clear second behind the T5 Mission in the dry. In new hands this year and with some further mods it is absolutely flying.

There's always a lot of talk about 7-types not doing well but Raw seem to manage. If you are prepared to work on set up geometry amd driver skill then I see no reason why the ST couldn't become a competitive package.

That's my thinking anyway. Yes, the Fury in particular is well proven but there are many different variations in chassis out there. just look at what Tim Hovered has done over the winter - it's not what you'd call original.

worX

posted on 22/7/08 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
Get it and stick a Fulcrum body on it...

Steve

(Or just buy a Fulcrum! and build it yourself to a budget)

StevieB

posted on 22/7/08 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
I've looked at this a million times as I want to get into a bit of motorsport and had made up my mind that the Indy just wasn't a competetive package against the competition.

Look at it this way though - for the first few seasons, any car will be more than enough as it's more about the driver than the car. At the price of that locoblade, it's a good way of getting on track in a relativey well proven chassis (look at the ST locost performances) and you can upgrade once you can outdrive the chassis (if that makes sense).

Pick a similar car with a similarly experienced driver on the grid and just race them - forget about the BDN et al.

MK9R

posted on 22/7/08 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers all. Defo going to enter next year, its just a question of do i prep my car up, or buy a car ready prepped (cheaper option). I can't just sell mine and look for one for months as i do a lot of trackdays, this one came up and maybe a chance of doing a swap. Mine is worth more that what its advertised for, but the spares included in the deal would make up for it.

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

worX

posted on 22/7/08 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
Is that car IRS or LiveAxle?

Steve

MK9R

posted on 22/7/08 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
mine is irs, as is the one for sale. He didn't know off the top of his head if it was a 3.38 diff or not. He said he had the info at home

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

procomp

posted on 22/7/08 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
Hi as it stands it is ready too roll. So it will have all the mods that you will need to carry out on your own car done.

For sure it is not going to win a race outright or even a class. But as a starter it is a good starting point at a decent price. The STM chassis are not too bad and there is all sorts of re working that can be done to improve them. Although sticking a fulcrum body on is not one. That would just slow it down due to the aero problems with that particular body.

The next option on buying an existing car is a step up in the £££'s as a decent fury / STM Phoenix ect ect will be more like 8k. Decisions decisions but it will get you out there and learning the tracks and all about setup/driving/racing.

Cheers Matt

MK9R

posted on 22/7/08 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by procomp
Hi as it stands it is ready too roll. So it will have all the mods that you will need to carry out on your own car done.

For sure it is not going to win a race outright or even a class. But as a starter it is a good starting point at a decent price. The STM chassis are not too bad and there is all sorts of re working that can be done to improve them. Although sticking a fulcrum body on is not one. That would just slow it down due to the aero problems with that particular body.

The next option on buying an existing car is a step up in the £££'s as a decent fury / STM Phoenix ect ect will be more like 8k. Decisions decisions but it will get you out there and learning the tracks and all about setup/driving/racing.

Cheers Matt

This is what i am thinking, and its going to be no more or less competive than my current ST after i have prepped it, and at least it is a class C car, unlike mine (in current engine guise). Besides, the limiting factor will be the driver, not the car!!!

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

simes43

posted on 22/7/08 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
Or alternatively.............Car For Sale

The most successful racing Locost ever built is up For Sale.

3 consecutive championships, 16 race wins, 31 podiums and numerous
fastest laps (including 2 lap records)...the results say just how
good this car would be in anyone's hands.

All serious offers will be considered and the car could be available
before the end of this season for the right price.

The car will be sold exactly as raced and could be made available to
take direct from a race meeting if you wished.

Included with the car will be numerous engine and chassis spare
parts, 4 spare wheels and wet tyres and my complete set up details
for every circuit I've raced at, along with all my 'go faster'
tricks and hints.

Anyone interested please contact me offline at
declan.mcdonnell@...

ALSO FOR SALE (separately) :

1) My second race engine (offers in the region of £2k) major refresh
in May 2008 and only used once at the recent Anglesey meeting,
finishing 1st and 2nd setting a new lap record on the way. This
engine has been used gain 7 race wins in the last 3 years including
lap records at Castle Combe and Anglesey. Full history of services
and use available to buyer.

Why pay £2.5k for an unproven race pre'd engine elsewhere when you
could get this known package and full set up (including carburettor
settings) for less money ?

2) Type 2 GT Gearbox (£300), fully compliant with the new 2008 regs
requirements, unused since a full BHG Geartech rebuild in Feb 2008.
Ready to bolt in and race.

Again anyone interested contact me offline at
declan.mcdonnell@...

I can put anyone in touch with Dec . PM me

TimC

posted on 22/7/08 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
Well, I'd make the swap in your shoes. And don't listen to Steve - the Fulcrum body is H O R R I B L E and apparently inefficient.

Bobbus

posted on 22/7/08 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TimC
From what I can make out, it's all about development; of both car and driver.

Look at Derek Jones' current car. If you talk to Mr Ison he'll tell you that his MK was far quicker when the BDN S2 first appeared. Last year it was developeed to the point where it was undoubtably the quickest car in the field in the wet and a clear second behind the T5 Mission in the dry. In new hands this year and with some further mods it is absolutely flying.

Sorry to post with no help whatsoever to the OP, but I just need to reply to TimC's comments above. Tim - You need to re-check the results, in my first ever race in the BDN (only my third ever race) I out qualified Mr Ison and beat him in the race by around 20 seconds (the results are on the 750mc website - Donny May'05). That's not to say the car was quick - it wasn't but that was due to an aero problem that we resolved for the next season and as a result I got 2nd in the championship - not bad for a novice!

Now onto last year, again you need to recheck the results, at every circuit it was dry I ran under the lap record and was within a tenth or two of Gordon's pace. The exception was Castle Combe, where I qualified 6 seconds a lap quicker than Gordon in the wet but he was just under a second quicker than me in the dry. Though there were times when I was a full second quicker than him in the dry, for example Cadwell. It was a very close season, that's why it came down to the last race for the championship (with only 2 wet races for the entire year) and I only lost the lead of that race due to the gear lever snapping!

Sorry for the lengthy reply, but the BDN deserves a little better recognition I feel! Derek is doing a fantastic job this year and hopefully many more lap records will tumble. Not bad for a prototype - I can't wait for the final version of the car to be ready to race, shame I won't be racing it in the RGB as I've moved to Australia.

Good luck to the OP, the RGB are a great bunch and I'm sure whatever car you end up in you'll have lots of fun and always have someome to race against no matter if you're at the front or the back of the grid.

Regards,

Rob.

Bobbus

posted on 22/7/08 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry, one last thing - you guys might be interested in a video I finally got around to posting the other day. It's of a race at Brands from the middle of last season (as you can clearly see Gordon is not a second a lap quicker than me!) I'd advise watching to the end...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6ymVSFOO9g

Jon Ison

posted on 22/7/08 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
Bob.........

1) yup you out qualified me.

2) yup you wupped me by 20 seconds.

3) yup, you forgot to mention lap number 9 the one I was 40 seconds slower than you when I stopped, jumped out, gave the fuel pump a good kicking and got back in.

4) I didnt ask to be bought into this as I think the original comments about the BDN where actually praising both the development of the car and its driver, you.

Bobbus

posted on 22/7/08 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry chap, didn't mean to offend you and sorry to TimC - I can see how my remarks are a tad defensive over a compliment!

I had completely forgotten all about the race and had only looked at the qualifying and race results. Looking at the lap chart we must have had a good race up to the point where you had the problem as we were only separated by 0.04 secs across the line!

Jon Ison

posted on 22/7/08 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
I remember it well, we shared a garage, you was a tad nervous, I have watched and followed your progress ever since with a inner smugness that I helped a little way in your 1st ever RGB race.

I also remember it well for another reason as I got one of the loudest cheers (banger racing aside) I have ever had at a motor sport event, I pulled off at redgate, jumped out, dove under car thrashing the fuel pump, got it going, got back in and drove off to a great cheer from the crowd, there is a photo somewhere of me under the car.

I expected hearing from the clerk of the course, but never did........ sneaks of and hides..........

PAUL FISHER

posted on 22/7/08 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
Great video,exciting stuff,shame it had to end that way,I would liked to have seen that race go to the line.
TimC

posted on 23/7/08 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bobbus
Sorry chap, didn't mean to offend you and sorry to TimC - I can see how my remarks are a tad defensive over a compliment!

I had completely forgotten all about the race and had only looked at the qualifying and race results. Looking at the lap chart we must have had a good race up to the point where you had the problem as we were only separated by 0.04 secs across the line!

No worries Rob. It was all meant as a compliment but was based on a bit of knowledge about how good you and the car were in the wet and also my view as a spectator from Round 1 at Mallory and also Combe. In any case, I was using it as an example of the benefit of development. I'm sure that you would have taken it a step forward in the same way as Derek has done if you'd have kept the car.

P.S. Jon - I can just imagine you kicking the car back into life!

MK9R

posted on 23/7/08 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
nice thread hijack!!

Got the bug big time now, just need to think of an excuse for the missus to why my car has changed colour lol!!!

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

gixermark

posted on 23/7/08 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
what a fantastic race !!

over here (ireland) we have kicked off an 'rbg' type series late year which is growing...

I actually went over to donington at the wk end there to check the rGB paddock out - GREAT bunch of lads.. definately a good place to start..

I'm trying to get the funds etc sorted to maybe make the trip for the last round of the series in Mallory to give it a go..

unless you know the circuits and set up etc. i am sure that locost would be more than capable of mixing it in the right hands....

Mark.

worX

posted on 24/7/08 at 05:36 AM Reply With Quote
I can just imagine what you were thinking when his T5 snatched back the opposite way!!!

Steve
quote:
Sorry, one last thing - you guys might be interested in a video I finally got around to posting the other day. It's of a race at Brands from the middle of last season (as you can clearly see Gordon is not a second a lap quicker than me!) I'd advise watching to the end...

TimC

posted on 24/7/08 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by worX
I can just imagine what you were thinking when his T5 snatched back the opposite way!!!

Steve
quote:

Yeah, probably got as far as "Oh Boll"

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.