Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MK suspension rear
phil T5

posted on 23/7/08 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
MK suspension rear

Hello

Taken my mk xe out on trackday and its quick in straight line but behaves strangely on limit in bends

I think whats happening is that the springs are reaching max compression and bottoming out.

The feeling is like loading up the rear end under weight transfer then a further compressin due to bump a metal grind/connection sound and it will spin you if you're not quick enough.

I get the same noise but only for an instant when i have passenger in car and go over bump, although this has been minimised by setting damper harder.

I guess it sounds like its happening in corners as the damper is not reacting to fast bump as its in roll situation and spring is fully compressed.

Does this sound right?

The car is MK with live axle, with vauxhall xe engine. It weighs roughly 150 KG for each corner. I weight about 100KG in helmet and all gear etc.

What spring rate should i expect ot have on the rear.

I havent checked whats on now yet?

phil T5

posted on 23/7/08 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
oh yes

see
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=93811
for it doing a standing 1/4

it does seem to sit quite low?

mr henderson

posted on 23/7/08 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phil T5

I havent checked whats on now yet?

Well, there's the problem. You need to get those springs off, check the unfitted length and the poundage.

It may be that the poundage is ok but the unfitted length is too short, thus giving you a low ride height (I'm assuming you don't have adjustable spring seats?

On the other hand it may be that the poundage is too low if you are happy with the ride height but find that the suspension is compressing too easily

Info on what others have is interesting but not really helpful unless their situation is EXACTLY the same as yours. Once you've analysed what you've got you will be in a good position to start sorting it out

John

procomp

posted on 23/7/08 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
Hi there are various problems with the MK live axle rear end.

1. The springs if running with 1.9 id springs can end up coil bound. This obviously gives the sudden change in spring rate as hitting the bump stop but more visious.

2. The max spring poundage you want is 160lb and no lower that 120lb for road use.

3. the main problem is that they never modded the rear cross member that crosses the rear bulkhead and hits the top of the diff unit in compression and roll. All other manufacturers have raised the crosmember to give clearance but NOT MK. Means you have to run a much higher ride height. This can be exadgerated if running 15" rims and trying to achieve a 4" ride height for example.

5. some times the axle will not be centered in the chassis and when cornering the diff casing will catch the chassis on the inside of the tunnel. It can be centered if it has an adjustable panhard rod but i do not recall MK's having an adjustable one fitted.

6. as others have said make sure you have the correct length dampers and springs fitted. Get someone to check how close you are to the bump stops visually when seated in the car. And also check how much droop is available by lifting the chassis on one side and measure how far the chassis can raise before lifting the wheel/tyre from the ground. Ideally you want close too 1 1/2" travel in compression and droop available.

Cheers matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
phil T5

posted on 23/7/08 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for advice
is there a way of finding out spring pound ratinwithout removing?

are they marked in a standard way somewhere?

procomp

posted on 23/7/08 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
Hi if you can see the end of the spring where is has been croped ans flatend some have the poundage marked there. Other wise it have to go into a tester. But if you post up the open lenght of the spring and wire dia. it will be possible to estimate with in a few pounds.

Cheers matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
phil T5

posted on 23/7/08 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks

its sounds to me like axle is hitting cross member /frame, will check other things too though

Im thinking this cos of the sound it makes under load cornering but could be wrong

Ive got avo shocks on so first thing is presumably

Check for marks where it may be hitting

Jump up and down on back with a couple of people to see it it connects with cross member

The wind up the ride height so if if it helps

After this check springs

phil T5

posted on 23/7/08 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
The other thing I could check I guess is marks on the actual coil to see if the coils are contacting each other i.e coil binding is happening
procomp

posted on 23/7/08 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
Hi sounds like you have a plan of action.

cheers matt

DIY Si

posted on 23/7/08 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
Having just watched your 1/4 mile vid, it might be worth raising just your driver's side ride height. It looks as if the car has been set level with no weight in it, but then drops when you get in it. Mine does similar, as I too weight about 100 kgs all up. It might look a bit silly and wonky when sat still, but will sit flat when you're driving.
phil T5

posted on 23/7/08 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
thanks

thats my first step i think

DIY Si

posted on 23/7/08 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phil T5
thanks

thats my first step i think

Just don't blame me if it doesn't work!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.