Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Making an entire body out of soft top material
smart51

posted on 2/8/08 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
Making an entire body out of soft top material

I'm almost at the stage where I need to build a body shell for my new car. I always intended to make it out of PU foam clad in fibreglass but I want it to be as light as possible, so I'm on the look out for alternatives.

minutes ago, I found a picture of a Qpod or something that had a soft top and doors made from the same stuff. What are the practicalities and pitfalls of making the whole body out of soft top material? The chassis and inner tub is complete and strong enough to hold in the passengers, so the soft outer is just to keep the weather out and make the shape look nice.

Here's the big question though:- How do you make soft tops? (and sides, and fronts...)

JeffHs

posted on 2/8/08 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
Fabric Body

Why not use aeroplane fabric - Ceconite is modern equivalent of cotton/linen. You glue it on then shrink with an iron set to the right temperature. There are several encapsualting methods. We used cellulose dope followed by nitrate dope followed by coloured dope, but cellulose paint works too. It's very tough - only problem with using cheaper paints is craking after time. If you were to use polyurethane it would last years.

See my archive for Auster covered as above

Mark Allanson

posted on 2/8/08 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
looking up the construction techniques of a sopwith camel may yeild results, I think they were canvas covered with dope ()

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Mal

posted on 2/8/08 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
Some cars of the 1920's and 30's had fabric covered bodies. They may have had 'dope' applied to tension it. Try looking for restorers of cars from this period. The magazine 'The Automobile' may give you a start.

HTH

Mal

contaminated

posted on 2/8/08 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
At the motor show this week there were several road-legal buggies with fabric body work. Looked pretty cool actually.
blue2cv

posted on 2/8/08 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
Velorex, is ithis the look your going for
mr henderson

posted on 2/8/08 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
You could make the body out of birch plywood, and then stretch and glue vynide (plastic leather look) material over it.

Hey, if it's good enough for Marshall.......

John

Richard Quinn

posted on 2/8/08 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
I've also seen road legal buggies with a nylon type material held on to the chassis with velcro loops. If your car needed washing you could just nip out, remove the panels and chuck them in the wash with your scruds!
Dave Ashurst

posted on 2/8/08 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51

The chassis and inner tub is complete and strong enough to hold in the passengers, so the soft outer is just to keep the weather out and make the shape look nice.

I'm looking forward to seeing this, you're doing it so it will be good.

In my experience; making a soft top was fun (at first) and a learning experience. It took ages, with many late nights cutting, sewing, undoing, redoing, rivetting fasteners.

Until finally it looked so crap (even scary) and I was so tired, frustrated and bitterly disappointed that I gave up. (o painful memory.)

Good luck with yours though!

Are we going to meet up on monday?

best
D

hobzy

posted on 2/8/08 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
Can be done - check out the prototype beemer in Top Gear this month with an all Neoprene (i think) skin.

MustangSix

posted on 7/8/08 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
If you had a suitable framework of metal or wood, you could use the heatshrink covering that the RC airplane boys use. Iron it on, looks pretty slick.

Might be usable directly over the current frame.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.