Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mega squirt or tuning chips on volvo eng
cobra427

posted on 6/8/08 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
Mega squirt or tuning chips on volvo eng

Looking into the mods for my up-coming Locost build.

There seems to be 2 trains of thought - Mega squirt or plug in tuning chipsets for the volvo ecus..

Which is the popular option?
Which is the easier option?
(and more importantly)
Which is the cheaper option?

My engine is an 8v 2.3l volvo red block.

I'm looking at chucking a tubro at it ... but that's if its even easier than mapping.

(and yes I know i'd be better with the 16v - but the 8v is what I have already.)

Cheers

There's no substitute for CC's

02GF74

posted on 6/8/08 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cobra427
Which is the popular option?
Popular - by whom? In Chavland you would expect the chip since the chavs are incapable of bulding and tuning a megasquirt, on this forum probably the megasuqirt
Which is the easier option?
Easier has to be replacment of a chip surely?
(and more importantly)
Which is the cheaper option?
Tricky this one. Dunno price of choips but I think they are around £ 200 mark although I have seen them for less on ebay. If you intend to try different chips, will you have to pay the same amount for each one or will the company do discout? will you need to change chips? Megasquirt you can tune to you hearts content and cost nothing but time ... nad broken engine compenents if you get it wrong

If it were me, I would be looking a megasquirt; you could sell the volvo ecu to fund the megasquirt.

Just my 2 pence worth

Volvorsport

posted on 6/8/08 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
by far easier to chip the existing ecus , if they are chippable , and use teh existing wiring loom , unless you want to remove the AMM for space reasons , i converting mine but only because i have a motronic setup and not a 60-2 flywheel .

oh , and hello !

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

cobra427

posted on 6/8/08 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
Hi VolvoSport.. Nice to see ... er read from you again

I'm on reception duty at the mo at work (dont ask - but it shouldn't happen to a network manager ) So I've been trawling the tinterweb for solutions and came up with the two..

Mega squirt (which to be honest looks a bit heath robinson as they say around these parts..)

Or chipsets..

( I'm far from being a chav or boy racer.. coz if had the bits - id throw a rover v8 opened to 4.2, fully ported heads n 'folds a holley double pumper sat atop a nos spray bar with 300bh of umph at the touch of a button to be brought in via a timer - with an MDS ignition to light the blue touch paper - and a revlimiter just to make sure it didnt go beyond 5800)

Trouble is.... that lot in a locost will cause the whole thing to take off better that the shuttle and have me leaving a brown streak down the track... but by goodness will i have one heck of a smile on my face.

There's no substitute for CC's

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.