Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Avon Pricing Advice
Gary Symons

posted on 7/8/08 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
Avon Pricing Advice

This is my first post on here, so hi all!

I build a zetec powered avon a few years back, pretty much as soon as it was built I changed jobs and other projects came along So have never really used it.

Now I think it has probably sat there long enough unused and I am thinking of selling up. Whats the market like right now for these cars? And what would be a reasonable price for my car?

It passed SVA on 23/08/04 and has only done 2-3 hundred miles (all in the first year), It cost me approximately £8500 to build. Currently it is on a SORN with no mot or insurance.

As I said above this is not a 'for sale' ad, I am just trying to gauge what it might be worth if I chose to sell.

I have uploaded a few pics here:
http://www.mr2mk1turbo.co.uk/photos/tigeravon/

Also some build pics here:
http://www.avon-kitcar.co.uk/

Thanks in advance for any input.

Gary

Paul TigerB6

posted on 7/8/08 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
Dont do it!! Get it MOT'd, insured, taxed and then use it!!
scootz

posted on 7/8/08 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
Seconded!
Dangle_kt

posted on 7/8/08 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
HI,

I always wonder with cases like this, why people sell - in your case it would seem obvious, its had such little use.

But that makes me wonder, WHY????!!??

We all slave away, spending more than we should on bits for our cars, building them so that one day we can enjoy them to the maximum, but so often this hard work and money just sits there... I don't understand it.

I'd be interested to hear why its had such little use.

Sorry I'm not answering your question, but I'd just be guessing - have you tried completed items search on ebay? prices are usually on the low side, but at least you can see what stuff is actually selling at, rather than what its advertised at - with the credit crunch lots of toys arn't selling very well at the moment so people are having to take less than they want.

Looks tidy though.

Gary Symons

posted on 7/8/08 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dangle_kt

I'd be interested to hear why its had such little use.

My work takes me away from home alot so when I do return I dont have any free time for it. I also have a habbit of taking on too many projects at once which doesnt help.

Had a look on ebay, one recently failed to sell for £4675 so not looking too promising there.

Probably best to hang on to it for another year at least, by then I should have moved to a house with a bigger garage which means I would be more likely to keep it

02GF74

posted on 7/8/08 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
Unfortunately the amount of money you put in does not always equate to how much it will sell for.

Summer is a good time to sell i.r. now - ebay is chocka with kit cars at the moment.

Put advert on piston heads; also look in kit car mags to get some idea of price.

mr henderson

posted on 7/8/08 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
This is an excellent example of that old english proverb- "building a car is not the same as driving it"

The first car I ever built, I took a year to build and sold it after 500 miles.

Yes, I loved driving it, but I
a) wanted the money out of it for other projects and
b) my wife hated going out in it, so drives were solo and people who are workng full time usually only have a certain amount of spare time, so going for drives on my own had to come out of that.

It's a shame that one has to lose so much money when it's a car, if you were into building houses instead you cold probably make a bit when you sold up

John

Dangle_kt

posted on 7/8/08 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
hmmmm... interesting. So we'll happily tinker in a garage on our own, but not go driving...

I'm glad I;ve got mine down as an occasional toy in my head. I think it will get used about 15 times a year max. But i;d be happy with that and won't be in a hurry to sell, unless an emergency happens.

I;ve got 4 other projects on the go already, last thing I need is to flog one straight after finishing it and getting no pleasure out of it!! *GULP*

I only need an rs250 chesterfield rep and a triumph speed triple to fill my perfect garage. Oh and maybe an air transportable landrover...

locost westie

posted on 31/8/08 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
nice looking car
unkle

posted on 2/9/08 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
selling

If you can afford to i'd keep it.

Wrong time of year, not a lot of cash around and would be a crying shame.

If you must sell then really I think your looking at around half what it cost you, assuming a runner and MOT'd etc. For that money it's looks a bargain but I don't think the markets that great at the moment.

Good luck and I hope you decide to keep it, if your selling let me know!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.