Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Jail for dangerous driving starting today
smart51

posted on 18/8/08 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
Jail for dangerous driving starting today

Link to BBC

If you cause death by dangerous driving from today, you face upto 5 years in Jail, according to the BBC. Dangerous driving in this context is not giving driving your full attention, e.g. using the phone or texting, eating or messing with your satnav. Do you ever look for things in your glove box whilst driving? Do you turn round to shout at the kids? Be careful.

JAG

posted on 18/8/08 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to disagree but that's 'careless driving' aka "Driving Without Due Care & Attention"

"Dangerous Driving" is another crime/charge altogether.

Sorry mate

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

Dangle_kt

posted on 18/8/08 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
I feel sorry for the dad in that son died, but I cant help thinking he is a little off the mark when he says at the end that its come to late to help..... Well it wouldnt have helped anyway, his son would still be dead.

How would you prove it was careless driving?

scootz

posted on 18/8/08 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
Death by Dangerous Driving has always carried a jail term!

It's Death by Careless Driving that this effects.

scootz

posted on 18/8/08 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
Generally speaking, most (right-minded) drivers who cause Death by Careless Driving (CARELESS not dangerous or grossly negligent) will be stung far more by the simple fact that another human being has died as a result of their mistake. Begs the question - why punish someone twice?

Up till now, the courts have always discounted that someone has died when sentencing on Careless Driving. They judge purely on the level of carelessness and sentence accordingly. i.e. most of us glance down to change the radio - most will get away with this every single time, but occasionally some sorry sod will take someone else's life via a momentary lack of concentration! Does he deserve to go to jail... objectively speaking, I don't think so, and up till now the courts have applied points and a fine to such circumstances so that justice can be seen to be done... not because they think it will achieve anything!

If it was my kid that he killed? I'd want him lynched!

Not an easy one to comprehend unless you've been exposed to either end of such an incident.

To work, then it really needs consistent sentencing commensurate with the level of Carelessness.

JAG

posted on 18/8/08 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

It's seen as a relatively minor offence and hence simply the opinion of the Police Officer attending is sufficient. If they've got independant witnesses even better but they don't NEED them.

Don't ask me how I know

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

Fatgadget

posted on 18/8/08 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dangle_kt
I feel sorry for the dad in that son died, but I cant help thinking he is a little off the mark when he says at the end that its come to late to help..... Well it wouldnt have helped anyway, his son would still be dead.

I think he was referring to his personal circumstances. He obviously does not feel the guy who caused the death of his son received an appropriate sentence.

Delinquent

posted on 18/8/08 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JAG
quote:

It's seen as a relatively minor offence and hence simply the opinion of the Police Officer attending is sufficient. If they've got independant witnesses even better but they don't NEED them.

Don't ask me how I know

It goes a step further - the police opinion over-rides independant witnesses statements in the eyes of the courts (even when the policemen only turn up 20 minutes after the event!) ... I'm sure you don't have to ask me how I know that either

[Edited on 18/8/08 by Delinquent]

turbodisplay

posted on 18/8/08 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
I was involved in an accident where a woman stuck in a queue decided on doing a three point turn, in front of a 50mph car in front of me.
Person in front went into a ditch, person behinf drove into me 3 seconds after i stopped (idiot!).

I don`t think she got prosecuted, not that the situation will be changed if she did.
It is wrong that the outcome determines the punishment.

If every accident regardless of blame results in a range of penitalies of 1/2 - 12 points I bet accidents and deaths would immeadiately fall as it would stop the current thinking "i`m in the right".
Darren

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 18/8/08 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

If you cause death by dangerous driving from today, you face upto 5 years in Jail

i think the death is more of an issue than just being caught picking your nose...

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

smart51

posted on 18/8/08 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by turbodisplay
It is wrong that the outcome determines the punishment.

So if you make an error of judgement or are negligent in some way, you should be prosecuted for what could have happened, even if disaster was averted? No, I can't agree. If you crash and no-one is hurt, that is less bad than the exact same crash but someone dies. Just as a bank robbery with a gun is less bad than a bank robbery where the gunner shoots everyone. The intention and the outcome together make a crime.

scootz

posted on 18/8/08 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
It all depends on the level of carelessness.

I'd wager that every one of us has a momentary lapse of concentration on every journey that we make.

Should we go to jail if we kill someone due to said momentary lapse of concentration... again depending on what that momentary lapse of concentration was, then no, I don't think so.

You could do what you like to me, but NOTHING would make me 'learn my lesson' more than reflecting on the heartache I've caused and the fact that another human is no longer on the planet. Irrespective of this, you bet your boots that there will be further lapses of concentration (it's human) on subsequent journeys... just not the one that caught you out (probably)!

When you move into the realm of ancillary issues like changing CD's, tuning radio's, etc. then it becomes more clear. Sure, we all do it, but we all know that we shouldn't really, so we got what's coming.

Using the phone? As far as I'm concerned - that's Dangerous and jail time is deserved.

Difficult one, and hard to cater for every set of circumstances, hence the reason that the courts will come up with a lot of inconsistent sentences which is not really in anyone's interests.

For me, the only debate should be - dangerous or careless? If it's dangerous then go straight to jail. If it's careless and the culprit passes the 'attitude test', then what is to be gained from jailing them?

Oh, I don't know!

Is a BEC faster than a CEC?

rf900rush

posted on 18/8/08 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
So what happens when you take your eyes off the road for that split second,
then someone runs out with out looking and dies.
Whos at fault?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 19/8/08 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
Generally speaking, most (right-minded) drivers who cause Death by Careless Driving (CARELESS not dangerous or grossly negligent) will be stung far more by the simple fact that another human being has died as a result of their mistake. Begs the question - why punish someone twice?

Also would act as a deterent.

the number of peolpe you see on mobiles, desptie being it being against the law seems to have not diminished. : mad:

scootz

posted on 19/8/08 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
As I said before - if you're using the phone whilst driving and cause someone else to lose their life, then that for me is Dangerous Driving, not Careless.

Defo jail time!

MikeRJ

posted on 19/8/08 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
As I said before - if you're using the phone whilst driving and cause someone else to lose their life, then that for me is Dangerous Driving, not Careless.

Fortunately it's a judge with access to all the evidence that actualy gets to decide how far the standard of driving fell below acceptable levels.

scootz

posted on 19/8/08 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
Sure it's for the Judge to consider if the standard of driving fell sufficiently far below that of a careful and considerate driver, but only if the Charge libeled by the Crown is one of Careless Driving. If it's a Dangerous Driving offence, then it's a completely different set of circumstances.

It's not the Judge's job to consider the relevance of the Charge libeled by the Crown - hence the debate of what's Dangerous and what's Careless! The prosecution has to get it right in the first place!

The Judge can only decide on guilt for the Charge libeled and can only sentence within the guidelines set for that particular Charge. If presented with Careless Driving Charge and the driver is clearly guilty of the more serious Dangerous Driving offence, then the Judge cannot convict him of Dangerous Driving and sentence him / her appropriately.

Hence the reason that there have been a number of instances where Judges have expressed surprise that a less serious charge has been libeled as the full penalty of law could not be applied.

This is what confuses and pisses folk off - the lack of consistency in libeling the correct Charge in the first place and then a lack of consistency in sentencing!

Anyhow, surely it must be considered dangerous to use the phone whilst driving... not careless? I mean, it's not like you used the phone 'by accident'! You have to make a conscious decision to carry out these actions in the full knowledge that society now deems this to be a dangerous act.

Roused my interest sufficiently to speak to one of the local PF's and he said he would always expect a Section 1 charge to be libeled against someone who was alleged to have been using their phone whilst driving and subsequently killed another road user. Doesn't mean that another PF may have a different opinion!

David Jenkins

posted on 19/8/08 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
One thing continues to puzzle me - if a person does something stupid or careless that results in the death of another human being, then that person is liable to be charged with manslaughter.

So why does the fact that the perpetrator is sitting in a car mean that the charge becomes 'causing death by dangerous driving', or even just 'driving without due care and attention', often with considerably less penalty? Another human being has still been killed by stupidity or carelessness. Surely they should be charged with manslaughter?

rusty nuts

posted on 19/8/08 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
The woman who caused the accident that killed my father and left the scene got a 2 year ban and 200 hours community service, she even got to choose what community service she did!! As far as I'm concerned jail was too good for her.
JoelP

posted on 19/8/08 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
i think the consequense is what makes the difference. If it goes horribly wrong it was obviously dangerous. There are lots of different things you can do when driving that will either distract you or cause you to lose control or a mix of either, for instance, putting shades on, polishing them, taking a coat off, changing station, picking your nose, opening a bottle of drink, steering with your knees whilst you do the last, reprogramming the satnav, going through the trip computer, lighting a cig, checking a pocket for change, writing a text message, taking your shoes off etc.

Any one of those could cause a fatal mistake. Driving is about balancing risks. Some of the above are acceptable in the right circumstances. The problem is, some drivers cant balance risks well, hence the sick number of f**k ups every day. And hence why the law covers them all with careless and dangerous tags. In reality, the offense should just be 'f**king up and killing someone', then it wouldnt matter if you were distracted or not, just that you fooked up.

Another reality is that the majority of mistakes on the road are actually just driving errors, not necessarily to do with anyone being distracted. My last 3 near misses were, someone swerving into a sliproad infront of me when they missed their exit (good luck they didnt pick my lane), someone pulling out of a layby into my path (gook luck i managed to swerve), and a lad who had broken down leaving if car in the middle of the first lane and then sitting on a wall 50 yards upstream to distract people. God alone knows how i missed him, but that wouldve been my fault. However, none of those due to all the bad things i do whilst driving (most of the above list if im honest).

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.