Poll: Nylock nuts - who's had one come undone? [View Results]
yes
no
what was the middle choioce?

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Nylock nuts - who's had one come undone?
02GF74

posted on 19/8/08 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
Nylock nuts - who's had one come undone?

the natrual follow on from "Nylock nuts -re-using" is:

Have you had a re-used nyloc come undone?

Hasse

posted on 19/8/08 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
My understanding is that Nylocs becomes un-done just as easily as any other nut. The nylon washer part only prevents the nut from continue to "un-winde" and from this reason stay on the thread better.

It is the clamping force from the applied assembly torque wich secures the parts.

Another advantage from nyloc is that it is not possible to assemble by hand to be "almost tight", and then be forgotten.

smart51

posted on 19/8/08 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
I've never had one come undone, new or reused. I thought the nylon bit made it shake proof. A plain nut can come loose with vibration but a pair of nuts or a nyloc resist loosening with vibration. I could be wrong.
r1_pete

posted on 19/8/08 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
On critical nuts I always use a dab of loctite threadlock, not only does it lock the nut, but seals it from rust ingress, so can actually be easier to undo after a while in use that a dry assembled nut.

Just my 2p worth......

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Alfa145

posted on 19/8/08 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
Yup I have.....

tegwin

posted on 19/8/08 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
Do you have a washer between the nut and upright....That might help that happen again!!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Fred W B

posted on 19/8/08 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
I've never had one come undone, even with reused ones on two stroke race karts

Even on the the end of the front stub axles, where just one M 14 nut holds the front wheel on, and reusing the nut repeatedly.

Cheers

Fred

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

Alfa145

posted on 19/8/08 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
Do you have a washer between the nut and upright....That might help that happen again!!!!

There is one on there

David Jenkins

posted on 19/8/08 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
The nylok should have nothing to do with whether it stays done up or not - that's down to the torque with which it is tightened, the stretch of the stud or bolt, and the friction between the underside of the nut and the thing it's fastening.

What the nylok will do is stop the nut unwinding once it's loose.

britishtrident

posted on 19/8/08 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
Nyloc just don't come undone --- so long as they are fitted so they show sufficient bolt thread protruding, if the end of the thread is only just proud of the nut a nyloc nut is actually more likely come. undone than a plain nut.

Using thread lock compound in addition on any critical nut is good practice.

Gordon Brown

posted on 19/8/08 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
Nope! Never ever re-use nylocs.. or any other type of nut/bolt or fastner for that matter!!....

Did i mention my forthcoming 80% tax on all hardware/ironmongery/car spares and associated goods?

While I am at it... I have noticed that petrol prices have dropped recently by up to 10p per litre.... The way I see it you are all now saving 10p per litre and therefore are efectively profiting from the lower price. therefore I intend to tax this profit based on a sliding scale associated with some imaginary number i invented in the bath....
Consequently I am introducing - with immediate effect - a tax of 11p per litre of petrol for every 10p drop in price....

Remember - Keep smiling! (coz we have you on cctv!)

"All your monies are belong to me! Mwahahaha!"

BenB

posted on 19/8/08 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
Yes. Bottom swivel nylock nut. Suspension fell apart on the offside front. Not nice.

I suspect, unfortunately, Mr Nylock wasn't at fault and it was dilbert here only doing them up finger tight when building the car and not tightening them up once the car had its wheels on and was on the deck... Still- got me to SVA and back....

Solution was to buy a pack of 3 "tippex" pens from the local pound store and draw a line over all nuts and bolts. Quickly shows if any have started undoing themselves (200 miles and none have shifted yet- it appears tippex has threadlocking properties!!)...

NS Dev

posted on 19/8/08 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
Weirdly, now I think about it, I have NEVER had any bolt of any sort that was done up with the real intention of it not coming undone, come undone..................

certainly never had a nyloc come undone, re-used or not!!

Having said that I torque anything critical up properly, and use loctite on anything even vaguely important.

Nowt loose in 15 years of car building.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

hillbillyracer

posted on 19/8/08 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
I've seen one or two nylocks come undone, but it's most likely due to the nut not being tightened correctly as some have said or mabye something like the joint settling etc rather than anything to do with it being nylock.
Anyway, they're far better than a plain nut in this respect.

What do folk think of spring washers? I have no faith at all in them! How can the slight pressure of the spring effect make any difference to keeping a nut tight compared to the massively greater clamping force from the thread? If anything they're a problem with the risk of the washer splitting open & slipping out from under the nut.

NS Dev

posted on 19/8/08 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
totally agree, spring washers are a total waste of time and effort.

The only things that actually work are norlock washers and loctite

Look at difficult applications, see what they use there, and there's your clue.

Vibratory road rollers, use loctite and norlocks

Engine internals, correct torquing and loctite

[Edited on 19/8/08 by NS Dev]

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

bob

posted on 20/8/08 at 07:36 AM Reply With Quote
Had parts settle down/bed in and needed re tighten but never had a nyloc come loose.

I am pretty sure spring washers are the work of the devil

MikeRJ

posted on 23/8/08 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hillbillyracer
What do folk think of spring washers? I have no faith at all in them! How can the slight pressure of the spring effect make any difference to keeping a nut tight compared to the massively greater clamping force from the thread?

Because if fastener only has to stretch a relatively tiny amount in use to lose most of it's clamping pressure.

The sharp ends of the washer digging into the nut and item to be fastened also seems to help. I have to admit that I don't like them much though.

iank

posted on 23/8/08 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bob
I am pretty sure spring washers are the work of the devil

I think you're getting confused with self-tapping screws there. They are the one true work of Beelzebub.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

britishtrident

posted on 28/8/08 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:
Originally posted by hillbillyracer
What do folk think of spring washers? I have no faith at all in them! How can the slight pressure of the spring effect make any difference to keeping a nut tight compared to the massively greater clamping force from the thread?

Because if fastener only has to stretch a relatively tiny amount in use to lose most of it's clamping pressure.

The sharp ends of the washer digging into the nut and item to be fastened also seems to help. I have to admit that I don't like them much though.

Very true about the bolt only having to stretch a very little to come undone especially true on bigger diameter bolts with only short lengths under tension --- a good example is the wheel nuts on Hondas (and Honda-Rovers) which need double checked for tightness or they will quickly come undone.

Spring washers mainly work on the one way friction principal --- think ratchet. For left hand threads in an ideal world left handed spring washer would exist.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.