Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Clams!
flyingkiwi

posted on 2/1/04 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
Clams!

It's nearly that time to start thinking about fitting my clamshell wings and I haven't the foggiest where they go (apart from the obvious).

Has anyone on here fitted them? and is it just a case of moving them around till they look nice?

cheers

It Runs!!!!! Bring on the SVA!

chrisg

posted on 2/1/04 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flyingkiwi
is it just a case of moving them around till they look nice?

cheers

Thrown behind the garage?

(sorry couldn't resist!)

Arent they just spaced from the top and front of the tyre?

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

madforfishing

posted on 24/1/04 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
If you get any decent info / pics it would be apprec. as mine are due for fitting soon.
Does anyone know the usual way of fastening the clams where they attach to the body through the fibreglass itself ? I was thinking about welding in an extra square tube to the chassis for this.
I guess the overall angle must stay fairly parallel with the ground or we are gonna have a nice aerofoil and a 'steering goes lighter with speed' effect + broken clams =

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Bob C

posted on 25/1/04 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
I dunno what I'm going to do about front wings - cycle wings look nice but must add to unsprung weight (how much anybody?) and mean you have to bung all the supension bolts for SVA. The clamshells look less nice & probably weight lots more overall (data anyone?) but at least i'ts suspended weight. Who flogs clamshells to us barmy army? Anybody know any alternatives (like a "morgan" look?) (I've asked this before & the answer was no....)
I tacked my chassis together today so I'm feeling pleased with myself - sorry you didn't want to know that... but it's brought decision day rather closer!
cheers
Bob C

200mph

posted on 25/1/04 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
if it was a weight issue then cycle wings would win every time.

also, they will offer less air reistance.

I think clamshell wings look great on the right car, but its getting that look. They look really bad on the wrong car.

just my tuppence worth

Mark

jonti

posted on 26/1/04 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
Have alook in the back of uncle Ron's book (second edition) There's a few examples in there.

There's a really nice one bottom of P184

OFROK

MustangSix

posted on 28/1/04 at 03:05 AM Reply With Quote
Just an opinion, but I've seen several examples that looked pretty good, and several that were awful. It all had to do with proper postiioning.

The good looking ones were mounted low, with minmal clearance over the tire. the poor looking ones were mounted too high, looking like an off road vehicle. Another poor looking example had the trailing edge mounted too low, exagerating the angle of the clam.

Here's a pic of an example I like. The top of the clam is roughly the same as the top of the bonnet. The trailing edge of the wing is pointed toward the lower edge of the rear wing.

I'd recommend finding an example you like, then examining the the relationship between tire, trailing edge of fender, headlights, and body.

[Edited on 28/1/04 by MustangSix]

Markp

posted on 28/1/04 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
I have a copy of westfield build manual. If you want (and if I can) i'll put the page on the net for you to read.

Mark.

flyingkiwi

posted on 28/1/04 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, that would be great if you can. Been tinkering the last couple of day's with possitions and like mustangsix said, they look better closer to the wheel, without limiting the suspension travel (not as easy as it sounds) with a nice slope to the rear. I've come to the conclusion that the position to fit them on, is the one you like the look of.

Cheers
Chris

jonti

posted on 28/1/04 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Must admit, I hadn't even considered clamshell wings, but the more I look at the picure mustang's posted, the more I think I might like some....

OFROK

Peteff

posted on 28/1/04 at 11:57 PM Reply With Quote
Is it really that big?

How many pages did it come on? Rescued attachment document.jpg
Rescued attachment document.jpg

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

madforfishing

posted on 29/1/04 at 12:48 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for both replies guys, for both the normal and far sighted amongst us.
I had to stand 6 ' away from my monitor to read the first, but the thought was there was appreciated.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Simon

posted on 29/1/04 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
Bob,

My cycle wings weigh about 1.5lb each

As for sprung weight, you could argue that they will actually contribute to sprung lift!

Air in at the top, ejected at the rear (downwards!) - any aerodynamicists care to comment!

ATB

Simon

jonti

posted on 29/1/04 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon

As for sprung weight, you could argue that they will actually contribute to sprung lift!

Air in at the top, ejected at the rear (downwards!) - any aerodynamicists care to comment!

ATB

Simon

Given that theory then........if you go fast enough on a moped you should be able to make it fly....discuss

OFROK

philgregson

posted on 29/1/04 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
Just another thought that occurs to me - Clamshell wings will avoid a lot of the SVA type problems with radii etc in the suspension components as they would all be enclosed - is this:
a) correct?
b) wishful thinking?
c) none of the above?

skippad

posted on 29/1/04 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
My last kit was robin hood (I know, i know, you learn by your misakes) had clamshells, looked OK but it was reluctant to go over 100mph! (wings flappen about etc)
Markp

posted on 29/1/04 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
peteff

Thanks for the help in the other section, as you can see the offending article has now gone (was it obvious what I was talking about??)

Also thanks for making it smaller and more readable. Not sure what happened, I scanned it in and it looked ok until i put it on the mesage board,

I'll keep pratising though

Thanks again
Mark

Stu16v

posted on 29/1/04 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
My Westy originally came with clams when I bought it. On rough (OK, normal) UK roads, at 'faster' speeds it was verging on frightening to drive, a real 'both hands on the wheel' experience, as it wandered around the road with a mind of it's own. I tryed countless checks of the suspension, swapped tyres, checked geometry, all to no avail in an effort to make it more user friendly. Having read about the fact that The earlier models were meant to have quite a bit of bumpsteer, I put it down to that. Eventually I purchased some cycle wings and got around to fitting them. At first, I did the one side, and drove it around for a bit like that (yes really). Strangley. the car felt soooo much better. I merely thought it was my imagination, and the fact that I was distracted by watching the O/S/F wheel bobbing up and down whilst I was driving it When I finally got round to doing the other side did I realise that it wasnt my imagination after all, it drove like a completely different car! The good old clams were obviously creating an appreciable amount of lift.......

Dont just build it.....make it!

flyingkiwi

posted on 1/2/04 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
Ah, so I could indeed become a "flying kiwi". Mind you by the time I finish building this car, all speed limits will be 30mph and you will not be able to start your car without the government knowing about it so the chances of me achieving take-off speed will be limited to race track's.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.