Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Progress so far (five years!)
MautoK

posted on 5/9/08 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
Progress so far (five years!)

I've put a few pics in the gallery to show that my Indy Auto is nearly complete.
For some reason the 'boot' pictures didn't upload.

[Edited on 5/9/08 by MautoK]

nick205

posted on 5/9/08 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
Looking good

I'd like to see how you've fitted the battery in the boot - should be good for weight distribution.

Findlay234

posted on 5/9/08 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
Hey its looking good. IM on around five years as well. Being a student and with the car staying at the family home meant not much time or money available to the kit.

Much like you im getting there. well done.

blakep82

posted on 5/9/08 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
lol i'm actually surprised no one put it in the boot before

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

MautoK

posted on 5/9/08 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
Bearing in mind that a battery is a potential 20 kg projectile, I put it in the boot for various reasons:
1. It wouldn't stay on the f/g scuttle panel for long in the event of impact; vertical M6 studding would not restrain it and thin f/g just doesn't have the intrinsic strength however big the washers or spreader plates.
2. At the left front of the boot, the battery is restrained from forward movement (in the event of impact) by the cross-brace in the rear bulkhead.
3. It's got to go somewhere; there's very little weight on the back wheels so any ballast is welcome - why not the battery!

It's well secured around its base to a dural plate which is itself securely fixed to the chassis.
The only potential downside is that it's close to the petrol tank.

MautoK

posted on 5/9/08 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
Bearing in mind that a battery is a potential 20 kg projectile, I put it in the boot for various reasons:
1. It wouldn't stay on the f/g scuttle panel for long in the event of impact; vertical M6 studding would not restrain it and thin f/g just doesn't have the intrinsic strength however big the washers or spreader plates.
2. At the left front of the boot, the battery is restrained from forward movement (in the event of impact) by the cross-brace in the rear bulkhead.
3. It's got to go somewhere; there's very little weight on the back wheels so any ballast is welcome - why not the battery!

It's well secured around its base to a dural plate which is itself securely fixed to the chassis.
The only potential downside is that it's close to the petrol tank.

Oops! Hit the button twice!

Humbug

posted on 5/9/08 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MautoK
I've put a few pics in the gallery to show that my Indy Auto is nearly complete.
For some reason the 'boot' pictures didn't upload.

I think it is because there is a + in the file name ... maybe also the ( and )

RK

posted on 5/9/08 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
Hey, that is patience I just do not have. Looks very good!
Ivan

posted on 6/9/08 at 06:39 AM Reply With Quote
If my memory serves me right the mixture of petrol + battery acid = major fire so in a rearend it might not be a good idea to have the battery near the fuel tank.

blakep82

posted on 6/9/08 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ivan
If my memory serves me right the mixture of petrol + battery acid = major fire so in a rearend it might not be a good idea to have the battery near the fuel tank.

hmmm interesting. makes me a little concerned about my E36 BMW. battery's in the boot there, and in the old minis too.
i don't know, if its good enough for production cars...

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

hobzy

posted on 6/9/08 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
And in the new MINIs in the S.

geoffe

posted on 8/9/08 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
Good to know that I'm not batting alone! The "Project Manager" buggered off to University 3 years ago, leaving only the "geriatric" gopher to carry on!

Finished soon though. Whenever that is?

MautoK

posted on 19/9/08 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
Collected my new wheels and tyres today, so it really feels like we're getting somewhere!
I decided on Monza RS and Toyo T1R.

Also nearly finished the dashboard; it's now covered with leathercloth and the instruments (cut down Sierra unit) are fitted. Install it tomorrow.
Next job is to get the cycle wing stays bent to shape and fit the c/wings.
Paperwork is hopefully on its way from DVLA and spoke with Exeter SVA man who almost insisted that I get an MoT before SVA. I see his point, as I can get an MoT a mile down the road and sort out any basic problems as opposed to going 35 miles for Mr SVA to find them.

He's whittling on a piece of wood. I got a feeling that when he stops whittling, something's gonna happen. (OUATITW/Cheyenne)

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.