Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Which MIG?
Gremlin

posted on 14/7/02 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
Which MIG?

I have been looking at all sorts of mig welders and have only ever done a little in the past. When i recall back im sure there was a gas bottle attached yet someof the ones i hve been looking at havent. Whats the difference and which is best?
john_s

posted on 15/7/02 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not an expert on welding (been teaching myself over the last few months).

General advice seem to be buy the highest amps output welder you can & get a botle of BOC's argoshield light gas (about £37/year rental on the bottle and £30 per fill), as it works out much much cheaper than the small disposable bottles.

I've never used a no-gas mig, but i understand that the welds from them are not as clean as gas mig welds.

HTH

John

--
John Singleton

merlin

posted on 15/7/02 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
I have had quite a bit of experience on welding and you really do need a decent high ampage set. Somewhere around 140 amps is good. Remember, your life is at risk so if you're not sure, ask a welder!! The results seen from a no gas welder leave a little to be desired as opposed to a 3 phase set! Don't think that a cheap welder will build a chassis. It may be OK for fixing the garden gate but we're talking about protecting you! Don't skimp on a welding set, If you're not sure, seek professional advice!

shit happens! (but why always to me!!)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Simon Jones

posted on 16/7/02 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
You don't need a 3-phase set. A 150A set will run happily off a 16A mains supply - it'll even run off a 13A plug unless you want to do any really heavy work - and you don't want that much current for 3mm tube...
interestedparty

posted on 16/7/02 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
Mine's a Sealey 185 running off a 13amp plug, but I only need power level 3 (it goes up to 6 or 8 or something). The important point about the bigger welders is that they do light work (like 16g Locost stuff) much better than the smaller welders.

John

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

merlin

posted on 16/7/02 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
I wasn't implying that you need a 3 phase set, purely pointing out that it is worth spending good money on a good set. As my father drummed into me as a kid, "don't buy cheap tools because in the long run you will spend more replacing them when they don't do the job!"

shit happens! (but why always to me!!)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jasper

posted on 18/7/02 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
Totally agree with the above, I've got a 135amp Sealey, use 1/2 power or less, never cuts out or overheats, and when I get it set up right produces lovely welds. I use Argo shield light too.

Shop around, cos I got mine, a little used ex-demo, with a huge real of wire for 1/2 price (£100). Gas will set u back another £100 time you've rented the bottle, filled it and bought the gauges.

ChrisW

posted on 18/7/02 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a gassless 150amp jobbie - it's done the job for me, even if my welds are a little untidy. I was a little worried at first about how strong they were - that was until I tried (and failed) to break one! No messing around with gas is the advantage but the wire is quite expensive.

BTW apparently you can convert it to use gas (it has a flexible tube hanging out the back) if you buy a regulator.

Chris

My gaff my rules

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.