Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Selling car on ebay
ricklawn

posted on 12/9/08 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
Selling car on ebay

Evening all
Has anyone sold a car on ebay, and if so have you had any problems?
I have had my fury on pistonheads a good few weeks now, with not a single phone call. I could really do with a quick sale so is ebay the way to go?
Thanks
Rick

Richard Quinn

posted on 12/9/08 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
I've sold two cars on there now and not had any significant problems. Be prepared for lots of stupid questions and offers of bizarre part exchange deals (what the hell is a Mazda Bongo?)
Chis_5984

posted on 12/9/08 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
I've sold with an auction listing on ebay, with this you pay a listing fee and final sale % fee.

I specified cash / bankers draught on collection within 5 days and had no issues.

I think if I did it again I would use a fixed price listing though.

Listings in the motors section are half price this weekend.

Hope this is of some help

Cheers,

Chris

adam1985

posted on 12/9/08 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Quinn
(what the hell is a Mazda Bongo?)

haha a mazda bongo is like a little camper van my mate nearly brought one

blakep82

posted on 12/9/08 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Quinn
I've sold two cars on there now and not had any significant problems. Be prepared for lots of stupid questions and offers of bizarre part exchange deals (what the hell is a Mazda Bongo?)

don't you wish youd done it now? lol

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Richard Quinn

posted on 12/9/08 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
Absolutely! How did I let that slip through my fingers?
Stott

posted on 12/9/08 at 11:44 PM Reply With Quote
Put it on Autotrader, sucks paying the £49 quid or whatever it is but it's never failed to sell my cars, max is 6 hours, seriously. (last one, Astra 2.0 16v Ecoshit '99, 4 hours and it was being driven away)

I usually then sulk that I didn't put it on there in the first place, why am I a tightass, etc etc etc

Ebay works out about the same cost with the ad and final value fee and you can only have it on there 10 days, £49 gets you 4-6 weeks of the trader, depending on the offers out at the time,

hth, Stott

bimbleuk

posted on 13/9/08 at 02:38 AM Reply With Quote
I have and my advice is to write a detailed description listing any minor faults all cars have with clear photos to match. Encourage questions and answer them truthfully and you'll get less hassle. On the last car I sold the initial buyer didn't ask questions till after the auction finished then decided it wasn't for them! I just said it wasn't a problem if they had any doubts not to buy and they offered to pay the listing as a result. I made a second chance offer the to next highest bidder and they came round and bought the car immediately.
andrew.carwithen

posted on 13/9/08 at 05:53 AM Reply With Quote
I've sold two cars in last 9 months using Autotrader's website. (Didn't bother with additional magazine listing option so cost was circa 19 - 20 quid.) Plenty of room for a good description and several photos.
Both cars sold within two days to first persons who came to view.
Admittedly they were tintops (Mondeo and Alfa 156) but like a kitcar, Alfas aren't bought by people merely 'looking for a car' - they are bought by enthusiasts so the market is more limited. But as already stated, It still sold in a few days.
Obviously, the kitcar market is a lot smaller again but at only around £20 I reckon on-line Autotrader is worth a punt.

Stott

posted on 13/9/08 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
Agree with that ^^^

The ones I sold went off the net advert not the mag (hence the extremely quick sale)

I listed it and about an hour later the net advert goes live and the phonecalls started, so I too could have saved the extra for the mag insertion

Hellfire

posted on 13/9/08 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
I've been trying to sell a Peugeot 206CC since March this year. Had it in Autotrader twice. First time, on-line only for six weeks. Second time, both online for three weeks and in the magazine for three weeks. It's also been advertised on Pistonheads and now on e-bay, as well as ads in a few newsagents.

During all this time, I haven't had a single phone call from a prospective buyer. In fact the only offer I've had was for a straight swap with a Skyline GTR that was worth a couple of thousand pounds less. The car is pitched at what I and others reckon is a fair and reasonable price.

I don't know if it's the type of car, the useless summer we've had, or the so called credit crunch we're going through. (Possibly a bit of all three) Whatever it is though, it certainly isn't a good time to be selling cars at the moment. (At least from my perspective)

Phil

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.