Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Smart rear end
aeroluke

posted on 19/9/08 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
Smart rear end

Has anyone (successfully) used a Smart rear end with the de Dion. Seems like a ready made rear end suspension and shouldn't be too heavy. Don't know how much one'd be from a scrapyard...
What're the reasons not to? Track width is perhaps little narrow... just a thought!

akumabito

posted on 19/9/08 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
I believe many Smart cars end up with pretty bad engine problems. I'm not entirely sure, but I believe it's the turbo that goes bad on 'm.

Also, there ain't a whole lot of power in those cars so I'm not really sure if it'd be worth the hassle.

FUORISERIE

posted on 19/9/08 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
Michalak is using a Smart fortwo donor for its C7 kit.

http://c7.michalak.eu/

Hope it helps
Cheers
Italo

smart51

posted on 19/9/08 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
Early smarts (600cc) had some turbo problems if the car was thrashed. Later cars had a new casting which seemed better. 700cc cars didn't seem to have problems. 1000cc cars are too new to tell.

600s had 44, 54 and 61 BHP as standard with 74 from the brabus version and 80 from after market remaps.

700s had 50 and 61 as standard with 80 from Brabus.

The 700cc roadster and coupe had 61 if you were cheap, 80 as standard and 101 from Brabus. The block is the same as the ForTwo but the turbo is bigger and the exhaust is more free flowing.

The roadster has a wider track but is otherwise much the same as the ForTwo.

If 101 BHP is enough and you want a simple bolt on DeDion rear subframe then the smart might be for you. I guess to make it work, you'll have to keep the ABS / ESP system or the clocks and engine managment won't work.

smart51

posted on 19/9/08 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by akumabito
I believe many Smart cars end up with pretty bad engine problems. I'm not entirely sure, but I believe it's the turbo that goes bad on 'm.

I've seen pictures of early engines that have literally melted.

aeroluke

posted on 20/9/08 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
I was a bit unclear in my original post - I didn't mean use the engine I just meant the suspension. So the idea would be to use the de dion suspension with something like a bike engine and chain diff.
StevieB

posted on 20/9/08 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
A better option would be to buy a smart roadster and get an r1 shoehorned in.

We used to have a roadster and they're cracking little cars to drive with decent handling and the engine is actually quite peppy - but the gearbox is appalling and lets the while thing down as it just can't make the shifts quick enough and you loose lots of speed and sometimes end up barrelling into a corner in too high a gear.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.