Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: wheels?
MK chippy

posted on 20/9/08 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
wheels?

Hi guys this may seem stupid but i was wondering what width wheels/tyres you use? Are the fronts the same as the back or is it better to get wider tyres for the rears?
cheers

Dave

McLannahan

posted on 20/9/08 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
Dave - I have 205/50/15's fitted to my MK Indy. Same fitment front and rear.

Looked really well on them but they were aftermarket alloys and a little heavy.

Handling was quite good but I think it would have been better on smaller wheels.

I have 13's on my Fury now and very happy with them.

mad-butcher

posted on 20/9/08 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
Dave
I would say the majority of people run 195-50-15's et 38, as for tyres it's a matter of personal choice and what you want to do, I went for toyo 888's for trackdays, but the std yoko's that came with the package seem good enough for road use
Tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MK chippy

posted on 20/9/08 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys.
yeah looked at the 888's but apparently they're really bad in the wet? not that you would take your car out in the wet! Someone mentioned about toyo t1r's? i think thats what they are anyways.

Dave

Stuart_B

posted on 20/9/08 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
i got 195/50/15 on mine, just cheap tryes on there at the moment but i am looking at the 888's or similar.

stuart

black mk indy, 1.6pinto on cbr600 bike carb's.

McLannahan

posted on 20/9/08 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Dave - It's the 888's I have now on the Fury.

They're really not that bad in the wet but you do have to drive carefully and considering how good they are in the dry it's quite a surprise. I drove very carefully back from an MOT in lashing rain and expected to be hedge bound on the first corner but they were nowhere near as bad as I thought.

Went out today in lovely sunshine and the 888's really are great tyres. When I'll get caught out with the weather I'll just drive like Miss Daisy home.

I bought two new 888's a few weeks back and the pair came to £150 fitted. Not cheap but they do have lovely looking tread to stare at as your KC is parked up!

I know 13's are quite a bit more expensive that 15's...

MK chippy

posted on 20/9/08 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
thanks thats good to know. Price shouldnt be a problem as someone i know works at a garage and i've been told £60 a corner (fitted/balanced) for 888's.
MautoK

posted on 21/9/08 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
I've just fitted Monza RS 6.5 x 15 ET38 wheels with Toyo T1R 195/50 x 15 V rating for £125 a corner including new studs, nuts and locking nuts.

Does anyone know if you can get the little logo discs (60mm diameter) with 'MK' on them?

He's whittling on a piece of wood. I got a feeling that when he stops whittling, something's gonna happen. (OUATITW/Cheyenne)

MK chippy

posted on 21/9/08 at 11:11 PM Reply With Quote
hmmm not heard about any of the discs but thats a good idea! Cant be to hard to get some made up? After all some wheels just have the manufacturers name on a plastic disc which is stuck to the wheel.

Dave

Pezza

posted on 22/9/08 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
I wentfor compomotive cxr's 5.5 x 13.

Now shod with 185/60/13 r888 rubber.
Go too wide with tyres and you can have trouble getting enough heat into them/ up to temp.

[Edited on 22-9-08 by Pezza]

[Edited on 22-9-08 by Pezza]

You couldn't pwn your way out of a wet paper bag, with "PWN ME!!" written on it, from the "pwned take-away" which originally contained one portion of chicken tikka pwnsala and the obligatory free pwnpadom.

PAUL FISHER

posted on 22/9/08 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
A 185 wide R888 is not wide enough for the rear of a R1 powered MK or any other 7 type BEC for that matter in my opinion,especially if your going to use it on track,you will end up with too much heat in the tyre with the R888's and they will be going off after a couple of laps of hard driving,even with the 205's keeping the tyre temperature down is a problem.
I always find out what the racing guys are using,if you check out what they are using in the 750mc RGB 95% of them run 205 rears and 185 fronts.

antonio

posted on 22/9/08 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
IMHO, R888 are good for raod and track day, good on wet in comparison with yoko 038 or 048. but they are not very good for hard track use, because they can't keep their temperature and get more and more hot...048 do the job (use both on my elise sport 160, not happy with 888)
as far as seize ar concerned, pauls' advice sound right!

Pezza

posted on 22/9/08 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
That's a pain then lol
I had trouble getting the 205 avons I had on my old westy up to a good temp.

You couldn't pwn your way out of a wet paper bag, with "PWN ME!!" written on it, from the "pwned take-away" which originally contained one portion of chicken tikka pwnsala and the obligatory free pwnpadom.

TimC

posted on 25/9/08 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
R888s are fine in the wet if you're not a complete pillock.

monkeybo99

posted on 30/9/08 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
you got any pics of those rims fitted to the car. Look v nice!!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.