Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Importing a Car from Japan?
lsdweb

posted on 20/9/08 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
Importing a Car from Japan?

Hi All

I'm trying to get hold of a particular Japanese car and there aren't that many in the UK.

I'm toying with importing from Japan but was wondering if anybody else on here has done this, before I spend ages doing the research only to find out it's not worth it!

Regards

Wyn

Howlor

posted on 20/9/08 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
Datsun Cherry?
Paul TigerB6

posted on 20/9/08 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
I recon its this electric car 'ere!!
iiyama

posted on 20/9/08 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
Imported two cars. First was an FTO and I loved it! Second was a gen 3 twin turbo RX-7, a very different car from the FTO and again, I loved it!

Both were bought to order through an agent. They did all the leg work, paper work and anything else that was required, including the SVA.

Not sure Id do it all on my own though if thats what you had in mind.......

unfortunatly I havent got a pic of the FTO to hand!

If its broke, fix it. If it aint broke, take it apart and find out how it works!

owelly

posted on 20/9/08 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
I imported a Bongo. Sort of!
I told the auction place what I wanted. They found it and brought it to the UK. I drove to Southampton in a hire car and drove the Bongo home. I deliberately got one that was 10 years old to avoid the SVA.
All I had to do was fit a rear foglamp, get it MoT'd and pop off to the local DVLA office to get the docs sorted.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
lsdweb

posted on 20/9/08 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry - should have said - Impreza STi type RA.

These are the lightweight Imprezas with the Driver Controlled Centre Differential (DCCD)

There are a few out there but a lot have been 'modified' and I'm sure I could get a better car for my money from Japan. But, it'd be a lot harder!

Wyn

PAUL FISHER

posted on 20/9/08 at 11:44 PM Reply With Quote
Ive purchased a lot of jap imports over the last few years,always found them great value for money,and a bit different ,but I have always use import agents/dealers,I think unless you can speak the lingo it would be difficult,my last two cars I have used Street Candy in devon,2 great cars and great service,the cars are so cheap anyway I don't think your going to save yourself a fortune anyway,the sti ra is a great choice of car though,a mate of mine has one,and runs 12.5 1/4's in standard trim,rapid,I spotted this one on ebay,looks great value at £3250

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=330272044566

lsdweb

posted on 21/9/08 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Paul

I'd spotted that one and it is a good price!

I've searched a lot of the Japanese auction sites (Google's translation is weird at times) and it dosn't look like there are great savings to be made!

uklee70

posted on 21/9/08 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
Hi I'm looking to do the same thing

I'm looking for a

Honda Element diesel and I'm struggling

i you have any ideas I would love to hear them

Lee

uklee70

posted on 21/9/08 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote

Stott

posted on 21/9/08 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
My friend has just put his white RA up for sale, standard car. It's up for £4995, if you want I'll get all the bumf about it and post here

let me know
cheers

Mix

posted on 21/9/08 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

Don't have any experience of importing from Japan, however......

My son has an STI RA, (currently at 400bhp+ and with a 2.5l engine going in as a winter project), very impressive car if you can live with the fuel consumption .
When he sells it I'm going to be tempted to make an offer myself . Brilliant car.

Regards Mick

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.