Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: radiused edges
smart51

posted on 23/9/08 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
radiused edges

I would like my new car to have a very sharp lower edge. Less than 2.5mm anyway. Will it fail SVA or is it in some way exempt?

I want nice, tight panel shuts on my new car. This means low radius curves on panel returns. Its fine where one panel meets another but what happens where the door meets the body? Does this have to be 2.5mm or more because the door opens revealing the edge?

Mr Whippy

posted on 23/9/08 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
better off with rounded edges anyway as they don't tend to get chipped or hurt (as much) when you walk into the car or shut the door on your fingers

[Edited on 23/9/08 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Shamrock GS

posted on 23/9/08 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
Loving your avatar Mr W - do you by any chance know my wife?

G

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Mr Whippy

posted on 23/9/08 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shamrock GS
Loving your avatar Mr W - do you by any chance know my wife?

G

no I don't know her but do tell

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 23/9/08 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
I would like my new car to have a very sharp lower edge. Less than 2.5mm anyway. Will it fail SVA or is it in some way exempt?

I want nice, tight panel shuts on my new car. This means low radius curves on panel returns. Its fine where one panel meets another but what happens where the door meets the body? Does this have to be 2.5mm or more because the door opens revealing the edge?

you would need to consult SVA manual - I seem to recall that in some places, mudguards spring to mind, the SVA allows folded over sheet, which sounds like what you are wanting to do.

smart51

posted on 23/9/08 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
My bodywork will be GRP The return will be perhaps 30mm wide so not simply folded over. I was thinking more like the sketch to the left than the right. (the green represents the door and the blue the car) Rescued attachment door.JPG
Rescued attachment door.JPG

indykid

posted on 23/9/08 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
but it doesn't protrude more than 2.5mm from the body so only need be blunted....

don't know the rules on opening panels but it's never come into question with boot panels on 7s

tom

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.