Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cancelling a MObile Phone contract early?
bigandy

posted on 24/9/08 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
Cancelling a MObile Phone contract early?

Afternoon folks.

Bit of a longshot, but does anyone know of any cunning ways to cancel a mobile phone contract earlier than what you signed up for, without incurring a shedload of charges?

I have a vodafone contract, which is apparently not due to run out until July next year. I have been told that to cancel it , I would need to pay in the region of £140.

ANyone got any hints&tips?

Cheers
ANdy

Dammit! Too many decisions....

mr henderson

posted on 24/9/08 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
I use a pay and go myself, so I don't know too much about this stuff, but I have a feeling that sometimes people sell phones and remaining contracts on ebay

John

phoenix70

posted on 24/9/08 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
you could try pleading poverty to them and see if they will let you move to a cheaper tarrif, then let it run it's course till july, might save you some money.

I'm afraid the mobile phone companies usually have pretty iron clad contract, so you are unlikely to get out if it.

You could try not paying it, but that can lead to a black mark on your credit rating and possible court action.

One last thought, is your phone worth much, you could try selling it on to someone else to get back some of your cancellation fee.

matt_claydon

posted on 24/9/08 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
Article on it here:
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/mobile-phone-contracts-from-hell

Basically the best you can do is downgrade to the lowest tariff possible for the remainder of the term.

graememk

posted on 24/9/08 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
write them a letter saying that you've died

Myke 2463

posted on 24/9/08 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
I Knew Graeme would have an answer to the problem.

Mike

bigandy

posted on 24/9/08 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by graememk

I like that one!

Seriously though, it does look like I'm not going to be get out of it completely, just minimise the costs somewhat....

Cheers
Andy

graememk

posted on 24/9/08 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
call them & lower your contract to lowest monthly fee, wait for the next bill then offer to settle the account in full for a discount if they dont offer a discount leave the contract running and write to them giving 30 days notice before the contracts due to end...

JamJah

posted on 25/9/08 at 02:50 AM Reply With Quote
There is nothing stopping you selling the contract by law as long as you inform the service provider.

In fact somewhere i have seen a shop that buys your old contract and resells it. I'll be dammed if i remember where... Southampton, Bournemouth, Poole, Bristol or Canterbury being the places i;ve been recently.

This is personal advise or personal opinion.
Constructive comments gratefully recieved, picking is left for noses.

mad4x4

posted on 25/9/08 at 06:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by graememk

Yeah But know them they will want your corpse to turn up on there doorstep with a death certificate stapled to its/your forehead.

Or they will give the answer of :
"So your dead, great news, heres the final bill for termination of you contract early + an extra charge for our hassle"

[Edited on 25/909/08 by mad4x4]

trogdor

posted on 25/9/08 at 07:25 AM Reply With Quote
My wife work for the carphonewarehouse and gets this alot. Basically you can't finish the contract early as you agreed to pay it. The amount of peeps saying well i will cancel the direct debit then! which will only put the debit collectors on you. The only real way to get out is to declare yourself bankrupt, which is abit extreme!

Like other people have said you can drop down to a lower tariff tho at the carphonewarehouse you can only drop down £5 a month at a time and you have to ring everytime.

It is amazing how many people have no idea that this is a legally binding contract and have obliviously not listened to a word that was said to them when they got the contract let alone read the terms and conditions.

bigandy

posted on 25/9/08 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
I knew it was a legally binding contract, it's just I am doing my best to minimise expenditure at the moment, mainly because my job is looking increasingly insecure!

It's a vodafone contract by the way, so I'll give them a call today to see what the cheapest tariff I can get transferred to..

Cheers
Andy

owelly

posted on 25/9/08 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
Unless you have a good read through the T's and C's and can find a way in which they have breached the contract. Or even tell them that it's not what you asked for in the shop. As they don't record conversations in the shop, you may be in with a chance.
You could try telling them that the shop assistant told you you could cancel by giving them 30 days notice. Or that's what you understood them to mean.
If they refer you to the T's and C's that you signed, you could say that as you didn't have your glasses, you couldn't read them and that's why you asked the assistant to clarify.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.