Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 3sgte to type 9
focijohn

posted on 26/9/08 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
3sgte to type 9

Hi all,
friend of mine would like to know how to or whats needed to do this. Motor is out of a mr2 turbo??

Thanks in advance

John

[Edited on 26/9/08 by focijohn]

Anyone going slower than you is an idiot. Anyone going faster than you is a maniac.
Too many targets but too few bullets.

Paul TigerB6

posted on 26/9/08 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
Have you had a look at the RAW website? I know they do a bellhousing for the 4-age but not sure what other engines they do
oldtimer

posted on 26/9/08 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
I was thinking of using the 3sgte motor, not sure about to type 9 but I seem to remember it was directly attachable to a Lexus ___ 6 speed. Do a search as I remember there being quite a lot of info out there about 3sgte to rear wheel drive options. Seems a cracking BPH:£ ratio but heavyish??
SPYDER

posted on 26/9/08 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
Hi there. An "A" series bellhousing will not fit on an "S" series engine like the MR2 unit you mention.
I dont know of any bellhousing to go the SGE - type 9 route.
There may be a bellhousing to match up to a TOYOTA "W" series box but I'm not sure. Try the TOYOTA forums maybe. ( TOYMODS)
I speak from experience as I have converted a 3SGE to RWD for my kit car. What a saga that turned out to be!
I wanted to retain the T50 box that had been previously matched to a 2TG 1600 twincam. There are bellhousings available to do this ( in Australia) so I went ahead and sourced a REV3 3SGE Celica unit. Then the deal collapsed and I was left high and dry.
So I decided to use the "T" series bellhousing. But the dowels and bolts don't line up. Much machining later I found the SGE flywheel wouldn't go inside. More machining. Then the input shaft fell short of the end of the crank. More machining. Then I had to make an adaptor for the starter motor, then modify the thrust bearing carrier.
It was worth it in the end though, the T50 is a peach, albeit not an overly strong one!
The moral is that anything is possible, just not always easy. Or wise!
I would suggest the Toyota "W" series route in your case as they are ultra strong, but they are also quite large.
As alluded to by oldtimer the "ULTIMATE" gearbox, however, could be the 6 speeder from a LEXUS ALTEZZA, the import version of the IS200. This car already has an "S" series motor, so should be an easier transplant. Expensive though, and relatively rare in the UK. You could get one imported, of course, at a price. You would need the starter motor as well.
If you could make an adaptor plate you could use almost any box. I have even heard of people cutting and shutting two bellhousings together! I've never seen one though.
And don't forget to put a suitable bearing in the end of the crank!
Have you offered the type 9 up to the 3SGE? Does anything remotely line up?
There is a thriving community of 3SGE RWD fanatics down under. Try "OZCLUBBIES.COM"

Geoff

[img][/img]

rusty nuts

posted on 26/9/08 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
Check out ebay item 220286283671
SPYDER

posted on 26/9/08 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
Could this box be from a SIX cylinder IS200? Didn't they have a 6 speeder?
The bolt pattern looks the same as on an "S" series when compared to the pictures I have but they may not be.
Ask the seller what car it came out of before hitting the buy it now button. It needs to have come from a four cylinder "BEAMS" engined Altezza. A 6 cylinder bell housing is different I think. I'll do some reseach. It wouldn't be too difficult to sort out though. And the input shaft will of course feature Toyota pattern splines which would facilitate finding a suitable clutch plate.
I'd have bought it like a shot had it been around when I was needing one, whether it fits directly or not.
Keenly priced though...
Geoff.

austin man

posted on 26/9/08 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
arent raw doing a toyota engines in the new car ?? contact them I believe they can supply an uprated box not a type 9 though
MikeRJ

posted on 26/9/08 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
You'd need a very uprated type 9 to hang together behind a decent 3SGTE!
bimbleuk

posted on 27/9/08 at 06:43 AM Reply With Quote
As above my type 9 has so far survived 195 lbs ft from a 4AGE but at relatively high RPM which is less likely to break a GBX. Mine is a BGH type 9 and the equivalent spec is now well over a £1000 to buy!

The 3SGTE will easily give over 200 lbs ft so the Supra, Lexus or the T5 RWD gearboxes would be the ones to research.

Raw supply 4AGE parts mostly and they would very likely get parts from Fensport or BPJ Services anyway.

nz_climber

posted on 27/9/08 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, a toyota W* series box (w58) would be the best option. They handle alot of power so suit the 3sgte. I have the altezza 6speed, it is heavier than the w58 (because of the extra gearing) and alot longer..

Pretty sure the w series will bolt up to a s series motor.

Talk to the guys on the oz clubbies forum they will know more than me (my 6speed came with my beams 3sge so I didn't have to muck around finding stuff to fit)

http://aarons7.wordpress.com

thomas4age

posted on 2/10/08 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
the 5 speed version of a nissan 200SX 1.8 turbo (ca18det engine) is also a toyota made Item, (W series) so if you can find that one you'll have a very serious gearbox to hang the engine on, I believe Leitch and the other new zealand seven builder (whatsistsname) both have done that install.

grtz Thomas

If Lucas made guns, Wars wouldn't start either.

focijohn

posted on 2/10/08 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers all, ill pass that on

Much appreciated

Anyone going slower than you is an idiot. Anyone going faster than you is a maniac.
Too many targets but too few bullets.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.