Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: smoking car after rebuild
Moorron

posted on 29/9/08 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
smoking car after rebuild

I am getting as fed up as you with my posts on smoking cars. But here is another!

Engine cbr1000f.

Put new pistons and rings in the car with hones bores (was suggested it would be ok to use standard sized pistons as the bores weren’t worn). Car runs fine but now after 100 miles i am starting to use more revs and when I do I get blue smoke from the exhaust, not a smoke screen but clearly cloudy in the mirror. Would a new engine do this until the rings have bed in after a few more hundred miles? I have even compression over all cylinders but it reads lower than the book suggest.

Will it get better or have I got a problem again? grrrrrr

cheers

Sorry about my spelling, im an engineer and only work in numbers.

Mr Whippy

posted on 29/9/08 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
do at least 500 miles then panic, takes ages for things to bed in. Don't thrash it and change the oil quite regularly. Best to just spend a whole day out in the countryside doing lazy driving, best way to run in an engine

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Moorron

posted on 29/9/08 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
lol 500 miles will take me 2 years.

ok i will put off my panic attacks ofr now. Lets see if the weather will hold out beofre winter sets in so i can see if my winter work is drinking or rebuilding.

Mr Whippy

posted on 29/9/08 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Moorron
lol 500 miles will take me 2 years.

ok i will put off my panic attacks ofr now. Lets see if the weather will hold out beofre winter sets in so i can see if my winter work is drinking or rebuilding.

eh? I could clock up over a 1000miles in one day in the Falcon just going for a wander. Even when I got my new cbr125 I did the 500mile run in during one day then took it to honda for its first service the next day

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
modee

posted on 29/9/08 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
If you ran it in on synthetic oil the rings may never bed in. always use running in oil.
oldtimer

posted on 29/9/08 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with the above, too many detergents etc in modern oils. Running in oil is the biz. Some rebuilders also say that whilst high revs should be avoided, loading an engine is necessary to properly bed things in?!!?......
Moorron

posted on 29/9/08 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by modee
If you ran it in on synthetic oil the rings may never bed in. always use running in oil.

where do i get this from and will it damage the clutch plates on the bike engine?

am i too late?

oldtimer

posted on 29/9/08 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
Mine is Penrite Running-In Oil, not sure where you get it. I got mine from the rebuilder. It is a 20/50 non modified oil. The rebuilder said the best thing you could do was get a passenger and drive under load up hills, sounds odd but he said that was what worked. Are you too late? I doubt it, not many use running-in oil anyways.
C10CoryM

posted on 29/9/08 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
If you are using hard rings you need to break them in. You need to roll into the throttle under load in a higher gear a few times. The reason is to get the highest pressures possible in the chamber to force the rings against the walls to wear them in. Synthetic oil is not good for this either.
What are your rings made of or coated with?

"Our watchword evermore shall be: The Maple Leaf Forever!"

MikeR

posted on 29/9/08 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
bear in mind he has a turbo and has already thrashed it (i know a bloke he works with )
Moorron

posted on 29/9/08 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
dont know what the rings are, just standard honda new ones.

Ive left the turbo off it this time thinking it was the cause of the old pistons breaking so its like a factory engine at the moment.

It doesnt smoke at lower revs at all, but is clearly visable above 5k.

Mike, i doubt you were working with leon, from what i know of him he does nothing at work but pester me. lol

l0rd

posted on 29/9/08 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
Or, you can give it to me and will do the 500 miles in less than a week.
C10CoryM

posted on 30/9/08 at 02:52 AM Reply With Quote
Ok, reason I asked is because some older bikes used very hard rings to deal with the high RPMs. I would guess by now they are moly coated.

Basically the idea is you hone the cylinders to rough them up a bit so that the piston rings and cylinder walls will wear into each other. Like using valve grinding paste to seat valves.
The roughness of the honing doesn't last long, and you should make the best of it by forcing the rings against the walls as hard as possible. The pressure made from the power stroke is what pushes the rings out.
So, the general way to break in rings is to:

Get engine to operating temp.
Get onto a quiet road at about 30mph and roll into the throttle and let it run up to near redline.
Repeat rolling into the throttle a few times (fun huh? )

Now the rings should be 99% seated, and the only way to get the last 1% is to drive the car.

I had a truck that I bought that had been sitting for a long time not running. I wasn't sure if I was going to win on it or not. Got it running, everything worked fine except it burned a lot of oil. Tried to break it in a bit like that and it helped a little. Eventually I got pissed off at it and started to thrash it HARD. After running the snot out of it for a while the rings finally re-seated and it stopped smoking . Not saying it's time for this in your case, but eventually it may come to that.

Cheers.
Cory

"Our watchword evermore shall be: The Maple Leaf Forever!"

02GF74

posted on 1/10/08 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
corym seems to be an example that this works.

I have post itbefore but here it is again

Moorron

posted on 1/10/08 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
cheers for the info i have seen that site before but doesnt help me as it doesnt suggest what is a new engine or old one (mines a 1988 model). When the weather gives me a break i will go and nail it and see what happenes.

MikeRJ

posted on 1/10/08 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
Did you check the ring gaps when you rebuilt the engine?
Moorron

posted on 1/10/08 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
They were at top tolerance but some way off the service limit (i have no idea why theres a difference of top tol and service limit as i thought it would be the same?)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.