Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Caterham and the litigation issue
Sparky

posted on 17/7/02 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
Caterham and the litigation issue

Forgive me if I'm speaking out of turn, and for goodness sake delete this entire thread if it becomes a can of worms (!) but this question has bothered me since the whole 'Locost' thing has been going.
We're all aware of the Caterham - Westfield legal issue, I just wondered how it is that we are any different? How do all the 'band-wagon' locost manufacturers step around the fact that the design of the Locost is identical to the original Lotus/Caterham, the very design that got Westfield into trouble? Surely the precedent has been set?

Your opinion?

..Or just tell me to shut up!

theconrodkid

posted on 17/7/02 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
as far as i am aware if the car you are building is IDENTICAL in every respect,then you got problems,change a few bits here and there and your ok,after all all cars have a wheel in each corner ,an engine that works the same way as every other engine,the new toyota rice burner gti thing looks like a focus from a few feet
Fatboy Dave

posted on 17/7/02 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
If you want to really open up a can of whoop-ass (sorry, worms, but they do the same thing if you get 'em), then you need to start talking intellectual property......

(I ain't 'cos I ain't starting anything...)

Dave

Stop the planet, I want to get off

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

bob

posted on 17/7/02 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
No worries on this one

Its allready been in court and the man ron champion won

So you can all build to your hearts content

Sparky

posted on 17/7/02 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Its allready been in court and the man ron champion won

Really?? when? I musta missed that. Any where I can read about it? Any links?

I just figured Caterham were tolerating us until their sales dropped off!

bob

posted on 17/7/02 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure on all the details,it was a while ago but lets think about it!

Haynes are without doubt one of if not the biggest book publishers in europe
VERSUS over priced cottage industry car builders.

Well i think that one was in the bag before it started

David Jenkins

posted on 18/7/02 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
AFAIK, ages ago Caterham took Westfield to court because W's car was much too close to C's. W's 'post-litigation' car was different enough to avoid problems.

With Ron, Westfield took exception because the Locost appeared to be an almost exact copy of their live axle model. I believe that Ron's defense was that
a) the design and technology originated in the very early days of club racing (RC comes from the same era as Colin Chapman)
b) Westfield's design was largely copied from someone else anyway (as was proved in court)
c) W hadn't bothered to patent their design, so what were they complaining about.

This is all hearsay, so don't quote me!

It's significant that Westfield's current designs are all patented, including the shape of their bodywork. So no more exact copies!

David

P.S. this is interesting... Westfield is censored but Caterham and swear words aren't!

Metal Hippy™

posted on 18/7/02 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
Good point...

Caterham should be, as should Dutton plus any others people care to mention that they don't like....

I don't think swear words need to be though, I feel we're all old enough to use them sparingly and not take offense.

Cheers.

Rich.

President of the Non-conformist Locost Builders Club. E-mail for details...

Fatboy Dave

posted on 18/7/02 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone suggesting censoring Dax gets a slap though

Dave

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Jon Ison

posted on 18/7/02 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
who give's a toss ?
Fatboy Dave

posted on 18/7/02 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
True, but you probably would if you saw me looming at you

Dave

Dick Axtell

posted on 18/7/02 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
David & Others,

Went to Chris Smith's I.Mech.E. presentation last year. He is W******ld MD, and commenting on the history of the litigation issue, said that the legal advice, from their patent agent, was that there was no copyright infringement. Furthermore, when C*t*rh*m initiated proceedings against the W oufit, they discovered that they had no legal rights to the old Lotus design 7. It was still held by Lotus, so C*t*rh*m had to get it assigned over to them, to continue their action.

Sorry to bang on - but this may be of mild, historical interest.

The old copyright Act & the Registered Design Act were bridged by a clause which stated (as far as memory serves) that copyright in any design last only as long as a registered design (15 years), if that design was capable of being registered as a Registered Design.

This is of particular significance, especially to those of you old enough to remember Dinky, Lesney & Matchbox toys. Some vehicle makers registered their designs to prevent unauthorized copying of their latest cars by the die-cast toymakers.

One of those vehicle makers was Lotus (probably making money from licences).

merlin

posted on 18/7/02 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
and Matchbox produced a 'Super Seven' in their 75 range!! Bet no-one objected to that!
I have heard people saying that the use of '7' in the nose grille was frowned uppon by Caterham, let them see if they can put a copyright on a number!!

shit happens! (but why always to me!!)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 19/7/02 at 07:28 AM Reply With Quote
The only time that you might get hit is if you dress it up as a 7 and try to sell it as such. I believe that this is called 'passing off' (I thank that's what he said ).

But that isn't copyright anyway - it's 'attepting to defraud' or somesuch thing.

David

Fatboy Dave

posted on 19/7/02 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
I have heard people saying that the use of '7' in the nose grille was frowned uppon by Caterham

It is, they get pretty snotty about it. I suppose you could liken it to putting a Range Rover badge on a Fiesta

quote:
let them see if they can put a copyright on a number!!

They can, it's called Intellectual Property. If they take it to court, someone will get stomped on, as they have the money invested in the car (and Graham Nearn ain't short of a few quid to spen on a lawyer team). Only really applies to companies passing their cars off as Sevens, or 7s (remember all that hassle about ten years ago, when Caterham started getting rabbid with their lawyers, and were threatening everyone?)

Dave

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.