Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine for new bec project
Lightning

posted on 2/10/08 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
Engine for new bec project

I have seen before on this site many engine figures but doing a search cant find too much.

I am going to order a spire GTR and am considering what engine to use. At the moment I am swaying towards a later ZX12R. Hayabuasa and ZX14 could be used but not convinced that the extra cost is justified.

Anyone have the power and torque figures to hand?

Incidently my old Tiger with Fireblade was seen the other day with a very late Fireblade engine having been fitted went well apparently till over revved on going down the gears shedding a rod...ooops

No car engines nead apply :-)

Steve

speedyxjs

posted on 2/10/08 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lightning

Well, i wont be contributing here then

[Edited on 2-10-08 by speedyxjs]

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

MikeCapon

posted on 2/10/08 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
I will. This is what was said about the bike:

With this much power and torque (Motorcycle Online's published dyno chart showed nearly 165 horsepower at the wheel, coupled with a peak of 92 foot/pounds of torque -- more than 75 foot/pounds all the way from 4,000 to 11,000 rpm) you have some sense of being a flea on the back of a well-behaved, but vigorous, bull rhino. It is an intoxicating feeling, to say the least.

ETA That's a 2002 model.

[Edited on 2/10/08 by MikeCapon]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Lightning

posted on 2/10/08 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks , what is the zx1400?

Steve

MikeCapon

posted on 2/10/08 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
The ZX 14 Ninja is the American name for the ZZR 1400 here in Europe.

Dyno test figures (Superbike mag)

168.6 BHP @ 9300rpm
104.7 lb/ft @ 7000rpm

for comparison a Hayabusa tested at the same time (conditions + dyno)

183.2 BHP @ 9400 rpm
109.6 lb/ft @7100 rpm

These are rear wheel figures I believe

Cheers,

Mike

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
paublo999

posted on 2/10/08 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
brand new zzr1400 in an mnr mapped to 161 bhp and 96lb, torque was lower than expected but power closer to the mark. All figures actual dyno figures at rear wheels.
This included a cat and leaky exhaust end can.

Take most power figures with a pinch of salt, get as many demo runs in actual cars as possible then decide

zilspeed

posted on 2/10/08 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lightning
I have seen before on this site many engine figures but doing a search cant find too much.

I am going to order a spire GTR and am considering what engine to use. At the moment I am swaying towards a later ZX12R. Hayabuasa and ZX14 could be used but not convinced that the extra cost is justified.

Anyone have the power and torque figures to hand?

Incidently my old Tiger with Fireblade was seen the other day with a very late Fireblade engine having been fitted went well apparently till over revved on going down the gears shedding a rod...ooops

I have a friend with an MK GTR for sale.

He wants rid and really would not be hard to deal with.
Think in the order of £4,000.

That's with a ZZR1200 engine.

mad-butcher

posted on 2/10/08 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
At one stage when martin keenan had the project I was considering buying one, but changed my mind when spire took over the project.
The reason was when martin came up with the concept to replace the sadly missed GT1, it was fitted with a modifed dif (no case no crown wheel or pinnion) but a sprocket fitted to enable chain drive, I've forgotten what this type set up is called, so by changing sprockets you could alter the gearing to suit your needs, unfortunately the version I have seen now uses a sierra diff with a very short prop and the engine mounted sideways, this means to me either paying out for a rather expensive 3.14 diff or sticking to what is readily availiable where as before I could have acheived the 3.14 ratio with a £30 sprocket.and possibly having to buy a sump baffle
just my opinion, no doubt someone will be along to shoot me down

Tony

[Edited on 2/10/08 by mad-butcher]

alfasudsprint

posted on 2/10/08 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
Ive got a 954 blade if anyones interested (not what you were looking for Lightning I know but...).
no time to fit in place of x flow!
Tim

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 2/10/08 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
pretty much a match made in heaven

zilspeed

posted on 2/10/08 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mad-butcher
At one stage when martin keenan had the project I was considering buying one, but changed my mind when spire took over the project.
The reason was when martin came up with the concept to replace the sadly missed GT1, it was fitted with a modifed dif (no case no crown wheel or pinnion) but a sprocket fitted to enable chain drive, I've forgotten what this type set up is called, so by changing sprockets you could alter the gearing to suit your needs, unfortunately the version I have seen now uses a sierra diff with a very short prop and the engine mounted sideways, this means to me either paying out for a rather expensive 3.14 diff or sticking to what is readily availiable where as before I could have acheived the 3.14 ratio with a £30 sprocket.and possibly having to buy a sump baffle
just my opinion, no doubt someone will be along to shoot me down

Tony

[Edited on 2/10/08 by mad-butcher]

The one I'm talking about has transverse engine and chain drive.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.