Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Dodgy or what?
Humbug

posted on 4/10/08 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
Dodgy or what?

Just seen this on ebay.

Described as "Audi TT kit car", Manufacturer "Audi", Model "SIERRA XR4X4"

a quick check of the reg on www.mycarcheck.com says it is a 1991 Ford Sierra Xr4x4 (5 Door Hatchback). The sellet admits it is registered as a Sierra

Strange, cos it looks very like a Banham body...

I wonder if it has been SVAd?

[Edited on 4/10/08 by Humbug]

donut

posted on 4/10/08 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah i would say it's a Paul Banham jobby. I don't think that has been anywhere near an SVA station, if it had they would have registered it correctly.

Or they didn't know how to register it.

[Edited on 4/10/08 by donut]

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BenB

posted on 4/10/08 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
Except....

If it's a Paul Banham body most of them (AFAIR) used a standard chassis with the body chopped off it. As the chassis is the same it doesn't need SVA. Then again, some of their later cars used a shortened chassis so maybe it does!!!

mr henderson

posted on 4/10/08 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
The under bonnet view shows quite a bit of non-Sierra chassis work. I'd be surprised of there was much Sierra shell left in it.

John

Humbug

posted on 4/10/08 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
Except....

If it's a Paul Banham body most of them (AFAIR) used a standard chassis with the body chopped off it. As the chassis is the same it doesn't need SVA. Then again, some of their later cars used a shortened chassis so maybe it does!!!

Except... the Banham used a Metro/Rover 100 as the base, not a Sierra Xr4x4!

Also, according to my understanding, even if they used a Metro as the base, it was not the "original unaltered chassis" if the roof has been chopped off, so it should be SVAd

[Edited on 04.10.2008 by Humbug]

BenB

posted on 4/10/08 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, that's what I wondered as I wrote my post!!!

But there certainly were cars on the road working on the principle that the chassis was original (even if altered) therefore no SVA...

... then again doesn't make it right!!

(I must admit I didn't look at the under GRP shots, I've got a slightly sensitive stomach and expected nasties!!!)....

clairetoo

posted on 4/10/08 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mr henderson
The under bonnet view shows quite a bit of non-Sierra chassis work. I'd be surprised of there was much Sierra shell left in it.

John

I'd be very surprised if there was any Sierra metalwork on it at all.................

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

Chippy

posted on 4/10/08 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
The add states XR4X4 running gear, doesn't mention the chassis, which looking at the pictures seems to be a tubular effort, (note- not spaceframe). Cheers Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

GregSL75

posted on 4/10/08 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
My Dad built a Banham XJSS quite a few years ago:

It has never been SVA'd although is registered as XJss on the V5. I've often wondered whether it should be because it started life as a coupe XJS and had the roof chopped and then subsequent strengthening bars added to give it some rigidity back. But to my mind that's altering the chassis as it's a monoquoque??

It was sold and built as not requiring one, but that is no guarantee obviously. I have a mate who fell foul of that with a Landranger Rangerover kit and that was sold as not requiring SVA (only modified the ladder chassis by removing a couple of feet off the back overhang, not between the axles, same as any bobtail) One was involved in an accident and then taken away and crushed, Landranger were taken to court and they have folded now.

2.0 XE on GSXR TBs and Megasquirt

gingerpaule

posted on 4/10/08 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
Do the Z-Car Minis have a similar issue or are they typically SVAed too?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.