Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine to be rebuilt then left - will it be ok?
Blue Fox

posted on 7/10/08 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
Engine to be rebuilt then left - will it be ok?

Hello,

I'm looking round for what to do over the winter as I am going to have to leave the chassis for a while as the weather has got bad (have to do most of the chassis work outside) so am looking at what else to get on with. I'm thinking of rebuilding the engine, but it will be left for a fair while - probably 18 months at least before going into the car. Is this liable to seize up in this time or is there something I can do to stop that. Never rebuilt an engine and left it for so long before.

Race Your Fears, Live Your Dreams

snapper

posted on 7/10/08 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
Any engine rebuilt or not needs to be turned regularly, keep it oily inside and out and cover any inlet or outlet holes with oily rags

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Blue Fox

posted on 7/10/08 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah I go out and turn the engine now every couple of weeks to stop it from seizing to make the rebuild easier but don't want to risk any damage after I have rebuilt it. Thanks for the reply!!

Race Your Fears, Live Your Dreams

BenB

posted on 7/10/08 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
There's a special "build-up" oil you can get from places like frost that might help...
les g

posted on 7/10/08 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
the boating boys use a winterisation oil for laying up engines try a search along those lines
cheers les g

chasmon

posted on 7/10/08 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
On t'boat we normally just put a good load of oil down the bores.

Oh and anti freeze to stop the cooling internals from rusting up

[Edited on 7/10/08 by chasmon]

mad4x4

posted on 8/10/08 at 06:09 AM Reply With Quote
When you go to restart it
Remember to take the plugs out and turn it over before yu start orr you will hydralock the engine and bend rods or valves (possibly)

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

Findlay234

posted on 8/10/08 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
As some people are aware, ive been building my car for number of years now (due to lack of money and uni taking up most of my time).

I had rebuilt my engine and then left it standing for a good year. I cant remember what oil i had used but it definately wasnt a special build up oil. May have been standard engine oil or something like 3in1, as i say i cant remember. Anyway, when i started it for the first time i think it started on the second turn and it now starts first time everytime (even on saturday, which was the first time in almost a year, only span it over plugless first just to be sure).

All i can say is that its not ideal to leave an engine like i have done but in my case it didnt prove to be detrimental. Maybe its just the quality of the 4age.

Mr Whippy

posted on 8/10/08 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
had an old bug engine under a work bench for over 10 years, covered in sawdust. started first time no bother and still runs perfectly. So long as their not damp the engines will be fine.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty nuts

posted on 8/10/08 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
Plenty of oil down the bores , loads of cam and crank lube and don't forget to prime the oil pump .

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.