Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Building my own dash - advice please
Blue Fox

posted on 9/10/08 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
Building my own dash - advice please

Hello,

Another little project in the warm for the winter!

I am thinking of building my own dash using seven segment number displays for speed and rpm and led bar graphs for fuel level, water temp etc. I have the drawings for the electronic circuits for this that should work, and have plenty of soldering experience (work as an electrical engineer) but am unsure of how to mount all these to make them look "pretty" in a car, as am used to mounting things like this in grey plastic boxes for machines where as long as its neat and tidy all is ok, has anyone done this before and if so how did you mount them - pics would be good. Or if you have any better ideas then let me know.

Race Your Fears, Live Your Dreams

YQUSTA

posted on 9/10/08 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
You could mount them on a plastic pannel then cover that with a clear sheet of plastic.

To hide the bits without gauges you could use some window tint.

I would be interested in the bar fuel guage as I have been looking for 1 but they only seam to be for sale in the USA.

YQUSTA

blakep82

posted on 9/10/08 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by YQUSTA
I would be interested in the bar fuel guage as I have been looking for 1 but they only seam to be for sale in the USA.

YQUSTA

mmm me too

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

coozer

posted on 9/10/08 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
My Acewell has bar fuel gauge BUT I'd rather have a normal gauge.

To me a normal 270 type gaue gives a better indication how much go is left in the tank. With the Ace I tend to put more in when it gets down to the second off borrom bar. May just be a home made car thing....

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

:{THC}:YosamiteSam

posted on 10/10/08 at 05:11 AM Reply With Quote
or you could get some 1..2 mm ally sheet and use that - brush it to give a hi fi look - looks well cool. my rush had it like that - got lots and lots of comments of how well it looked

David Jenkins

posted on 10/10/08 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
I was thinking of doing that - I'd even made the thing - but in the end I decided that I wanted to drive the car, not faff around with electronics!

I was going to emulate the dash on my Yaris, which has the display down a 'tunnel', some form of lens in front so you don't have to change your eye focus when you look away from the road, and a curved plastic screen that prevents reflections. Sounds complicated, but it isn't really... have a look at a Yaris to see what I mean.

02GF74

posted on 10/10/08 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by YQUSTA
You could mount them on a plastic pannel then cover that with a clear sheet of plastic.

I concur.

7 segment displays have moulded legs so in theory they should be mounted same distance from the board - it wouldn't take too much to get the top faces misaligned so the clear plastic will hide that effect.

I know for sure you can buy 2 digit displays - you are better off using one of those than 2 single units if you want it to look nice.

I would query if you really want a digital display - a dial and guage is far easier to read .

contaminated

posted on 10/10/08 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
I may have some stuff that will help and may swap parts for expertise!

Dan

contaminated

posted on 10/10/08 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry there should have been a link with that!

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/72510380

Blue Fox

posted on 11/10/08 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the tips guys, I like the idea of the plastic and the window tint. Wasn't sure about the ally dash incase I got blinded when the sun hit it?

Race Your Fears, Live Your Dreams

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.