Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Braces on rear wings?
MustangSix

posted on 13/1/04 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
Braces on rear wings?

Have any of you fitted any bracketry or braces to support the rear wings? Simply mounting them to the bodywork with the flange seems a little flimsy to me.

James

posted on 13/1/04 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
I'm probably mistaken but I remember awhile ago using purely nylon fixings to attach it via the flange.

I weak fixing means that if you catch something with a wing you've a chance it'll just rip off the wing and not destroy the ali panel it's attached to!

Anyway, I've not done this yet but it seemed a good idea at the time!

James

David Jenkins

posted on 13/1/04 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
My rear wing was pretty rigid before I fitted it, and now it's totally solid. Its shape is a big factor, e.g. the amount that the lip goes down on the outside, the depth of the flange, and so on. Good grp thickness and quality is also a major factor.

rgds,

David

locoboy

posted on 13/1/04 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=9737

quote:
Going back to the sikaflex a mate of mine has an indy that has the rear arches held on only with sikaflex, not a bolt in sight

Martin apparently advised him to do it. My mate quite rightly asked , "what happens if they fall off?"

Martin replied " they wont....trust me...and even if they do we will give you 2 more free of charge and fit them for you too, and replace anything else it has damaged" .

Now there's confidence in a product if ever you saw it!

If you ever clip anything hard enough to pull the rear wing off i suspect that side of the suspension will be saying bye bye too!

ATB
Locoboy

Peteff

posted on 13/1/04 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
Mine are held on by 5 m8 button heads with penny washers either side through the flange and are strong enough to hold my weight. Also the glass will flex and return to a certain degree but a bracket will bend and stay bent, taking the wing with it.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

locoboy

posted on 13/1/04 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
Mine are held on with 6 m8 bolts with big washers to but wont take my weight...............but then again im no skinny runt!

ATB
Locoboy

Peteff

posted on 13/1/04 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
Oi Porky!!

Who are you calling a skinny runt

yours, Pete.

P.S. only kidding.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

locoboy

posted on 14/1/04 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
Who said i was porky? big boned maybe! I often surprise myself how i can shoehorn myself into my narrow boddied f27!

ATB
Locoboy

Hellfire

posted on 14/1/04 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
We have riv-nutted the chassis where the flange on the rear wing meets with side panel and fastened with M6 bolts. Where flange meets on back panel, just fastened with M6 bolts and nylock.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.