Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Have you lot seen this ?
big_wasa

posted on 23/10/08 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
Have you lot seen this ?

Have you lot seen this ?

I was only saying to a guy Sunday that I wished I had saved up for a WF kit

Then again I think I will stick with my own welding.

blakep82

posted on 23/10/08 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
nope. can't see it now either. link don't work

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

cryoman1965

posted on 23/10/08 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Wot he said

N

tegwin

posted on 23/10/08 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
FAIL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

coozer

posted on 23/10/08 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
Works for me...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

locoR1

posted on 23/10/08 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like the WSCC site is down! I saw the post last night, shocking how a chassis could fail like that and even more shocking how the poor guy was / is being treated by westfield.

Edited to say its working now

[Edited on 23/10/08 by locoR1]

Description
Description
Check out my CB500T Cafe Racer build diary

blakep82

posted on 23/10/08 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
works now hmmm.... those cuts are far too clean... looks like the chassis' made of bits!

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Peteff

posted on 23/10/08 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
It looks more like a materials problem than workmanship but they are treating him rather shoddily.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

big_wasa

posted on 23/10/08 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
If you have only read the first page or so, read on as the front of the chassis has now failed in a big way
theconrodkid

posted on 23/10/08 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
tha is seriously bad,and i dont recon much on the "repair" of the back end

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

joneh

posted on 23/10/08 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
I only saw Barry Ashcrofts avatar! Yay for boobies!

MikeR

posted on 23/10/08 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
Oh - My - God!

that's incredibly scary for the failures when driving and the way the poor bloke has been treated. He tried to do his best and give them a chance and has been dropped on from a large height.

(reading between the lines I suspect he was miss sold a race chassis, but the first failure should have been repaired properly and then westfield should have given him a strongly worded letter suggesting he strips and checks the rest of the car with repairs being FOC if he returned a bare chassis & kept quiet whilst they investigated.)

Werner Van Loock

posted on 23/10/08 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
A chassis should never fail like thatn this is material failure or bad craftmanship

http://www.clubstylus.be

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dusty

posted on 23/10/08 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
That chassis is scrap. Needs taking apart for full assessment. Can't believe the problem is now four months old and it's still not sorted. Love the MD showing what a good firm they are by admitting to 42 new fans, 7 engines, 2 alternators and 38 sumps replaced free this year. And whats with the doubts over the warranty if you track the car? Makes me feel I get better quality down at my local scrappy!

[Edited on 23/10/08 by Dusty]

Simon

posted on 23/10/08 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
If that was me, and I had to put up with that attaitude, my next visit would be to a solicitor/MIRA/STATUS etc etc.

ATB

Simon

lsdweb

posted on 23/10/08 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
Worrying!

I'd be tempted to take it to Caterham for their views......

[Edited on 23/10/08 by lsdweb]

TOO BADD

posted on 23/10/08 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm... wonder if the chassis had caused a death in the crap condition it is, and how Westfield would have replied then.

I would first be booking a seat at my solicitor's and then booking an appointment with a vehicle examiner.

NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE comes to mind.

balidey

posted on 23/10/08 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not commenting on that particular failure, but something to note:
My company buys steel to a BS grade. We can get bad batches. its always the cheap stuff, often from the far east thats the worst. Yet its all 'the same grade'. How the chinese can take our good quality steel and turn it into the poo they churn out I don't know. But I have tests to prove it. So, saying its always been the same grade may be true, but I bet to save a few quid they found another supplier of steel.

Just my 2pence worth.

jollygreengiant

posted on 23/10/08 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
There is I believe a an arguable point of law that the 'guarantee' period should reflect the length of time that an item should be reasonably expected to last with regard to the value of the item. ie a new television for £20 pound you would reasonably expect the set to last a year, however, the same size of television for £600 you would expect to last more than 10 years. Therefore the 'Guarantee' period with the manufacturer should reflect this. On this basis I think that the manufacturer has no leg to stand on with regard to this chassis.

But it is very worrying.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

JoelP

posted on 23/10/08 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
scary stuff!

WSC ltd should have loaned him a demonstrator and kept the car for proper investigation. Long term solution would be a turn key car AND all the parts off his car returning, with the old chassis being sent for analysis. That bodge repair looks like something i would've done!

NeilP

posted on 23/10/08 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
That first repair is shocking! I could do better with my little tank and I'm utter rubbish at welding.

They have clearly been using a lower grade steel - brittle fractures have propogated from the welds in both instances due to the heat of the original welding causing structural damage to the steel.

Was speaking to a mate of mine only today who informed me that the suspension turret on his westy gave out a few weeks ago - I'm going to make sure I flag this to him.

They have a big problem brewing methinks as they sell a fair few units...

If you pay peanuts...
Mentale, yar? Yar, mentale!
Drive it like you stole it!

miikae

posted on 23/10/08 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
Totally Shocking in every aspect .

I have seen this sub-standard steel problem many years ago when it was imported due to UK supply problems , the steel was very brittle and would fracture easily , the sheet steel would ruin the guilitine blade in no time .
The chassis builder's would have known all about this as they would have mentioned it to the powers above , as its harder to work with , plus sometimes just the look of the bare steel is enough of a give away of its condition as it can look very blue .

I just hope that Paul gets a satisfactury outcome on this .

Mike

If it can be done it i will be done .

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
GeorgeM

posted on 23/10/08 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
They don't repair them like they used to!!

40 years ago those gaps would have been
filled with newspaper and covered with a
generous helping of underseal- good as
new then

Seriously though - OMG

Confused but excited.

posted on 23/10/08 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
FM!
I'm with Simon on this one.
An absolute effing disgrace.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 23/10/08 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like Westfield need to (and will) assertain the what/where and the how, now that this is very much open. The gauge of the steel (race or road) is possibly a thing that springs to my mind.
I've re-engineered the rear (wasn't happy with the one-chassis fits all around the diff. - mines a Freelander on some Sierra mounting adapter plates - so in effect hopefully obviated any failures on that tube).
It's not good though, but then my chassis is easily inspected since the powdercoat wasn't terribly good............... I won't go there, sorry.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.